Any News on Frank Howard's Offseason Progress? | Syracusefan.com

Any News on Frank Howard's Offseason Progress?

dlegend44

Scout Team
This question is for the insiders on the Payside.

Howard had a very good first season and he reminds a little of MCW after his first season. I had the impression he will start and play the majority of the minutes at PG. Not sure how the graduate transfer(s) will factor in to playing time. Does anyone have insight on Frankie's offseason? Thanks!

Too many on this board are severely underrating Howard. Some seem to think he'll be the 7-8 man off the bench. It's as if he can't possibly make any progress in his playing ability.

He's the best passer we have and along with TL, the smartest player on the court.

I think he'll be a starter alongside Battle.

He's been and is being recruited over. Hope he is up for the challenge.
He will spell Battle at the point.

You can't teach his vision.

I think Frank is going to surprise a few folks and be an integral part of the rotation next year. He's the best passer on the team and we need a guy like that to get the ball to our scorers in the right places. He's the straw that stirs the drink.

only thing ive seen

And 1!

It will be interesting to see how much he can force his way into the lineup next year (especially if White signs on). I think he will get a decent amount of court time regardless. At this point, he understands what coach wants. I also think he's one of those players that everyone else really enjoys playing with.

I just hope we don't hear about how he's shooting the blood out of the ball in practices,
because we've seen how that played out before... :p

But, IF he can improve his shooting a bit, & tighten up his handle, then there's no reason he can't be a solid contributor to this team this season.

Disagree with so many people here who think he won't get time.

No secret I might be his biggest fan on this board, but I think he is a big part of our team next year. Offense flowed better with him in the game last year and I think it was glaringly obvious.

Kid is going to be good before his time here is done.

Disagree with so many people here who think he won't get time.

No secret I might be his biggest fan on this board, but I think he is a big part of our team next year. Offense flowed better with him in the game last year and I think it was glaringly obvious.

Kid is going to be good before his time here is done.
The kid is a player. He is tough and he has a great feel for the game. He will be a contributor here over the next few years. He reminds me of an Allen Griffin type player.

Too many on this board are severely underrating Howard. Some seem to think he'll be the 7-8 man off the bench. It's as if he can't possibly make any progress in his playing ability.

He's the best passer we have and along with TL, the smartest player on the court.

I think he'll be a starter alongside Battle.
Some on this board think there is some sort of shame in being the 7th man, as if you can't be good and be the 3rd guard.

FH is not and has not been the smartest player on the court. His glaringly bad pass against Pitt cost us the game and nearly the season. And with the additions of Gillon and hopefully AW3, FH won't be the smartest player on the court for us again. The experience FH gains will make him better.

The difference in centers makes predicting the starting lineups difficult for me. But come crunch time, I think you're going to be seeing Gillon bringing up the ball. FH's time will come, be patient.

Some on this board think there is some sort of shame in being the 7th man, as if you can't be good and be the 3rd guard.

FH is not and has not been the smartest player on the court. His glaringly bad pass against Pitt cost us the game and nearly the season. And with the additions of Gillon and hopefully AW3, FH won't be the smartest player on the court for us again. The experience FH gains will make him better.

The difference in centers makes predicting the starting lineups difficult for me. But come crunch time, I think you're going to be seeing Gillon bringing up the ball. FH's time will come, be patient.

Pass was horrible, yes. Jim's fault for putting him in position for that play. That play still pisses me off.

This question is for the insiders on the Payside.

Howard had a very good first season and he reminds a little of MCW after his first season. I had the impression he will start and play the majority of the minutes at PG. Not sure how the graduate transfer(s) will factor in to playing time. Does anyone have insight on Frankie's offseason? Thanks!
I would ask the same question Chucky and Lydon's S&C

He'll be our x-factor.

I dont think hes been recruited over at all. The staff went after Gillion because only having 2 guards is asking for trouble.

FH is not and has not been the smartest player on the court. His glaringly bad pass against Pitt cost us the game and nearly the season.

You're right about that pass nearly costing is the season. But what no one remembers is that he brought us back in that game because Cooney's was sucking so bad that he got benched. And then Cooney's took and missed a 3 at the end with a clear driving lane in front of him. I'm not trying to pile on Cooney's, I'm a big supporter, I'm just trying to point out that Frank was one of the bright spots from that game, not the main reason we lost.

I also don't think he's not smart, he's just inexperienced. Javale McGee isn't smart, Frank's just willing to try stuff, which is a blessed change from our previous point guard. And he's got the BB IQ and court vision to pull it off a lot of the time. It's just the game management aspects that he needs to grow in.

And I agree with the above poster: Gillon was brought in because Mal left, not because the staff doesn't trust Frank. He may be our third or fourth guard, but if he is, I have great confidence that he'll be one of the best third/fourth guards on the country, and a stellar future lead guard.

I also don't understand the recruited over part. Can't speak for next year and beyond, but we had two "point" guards going into next year in Howard and a FR Battle. With Richardson leaving, getting Gillon was critical to have a third ball handler. Now we are targeting White who doesn't play Howard's position so I don't see how that affects him at all.

You're right about that pass nearly costing is the season. But what no one remembers is that he brought us back in that game because Cooney's was sucking so bad that he got benched. And then Cooney's took and missed a 3 at the end with a clear driving lane in front of him. I'm not trying to pile on Cooney's, I'm a big supporter, I'm just trying to point out that Frank was one of the bright spots from that game, not the main reason we lost.

I also don't think he's not smart, he's just inexperienced. Javale McGee isn't smart, Frank's just willing to try stuff, which is a blessed change from our previous point guard. And he's got the BB IQ and court vision to pull it off a lot of the time. It's just the game management aspects that he needs to grow in.

And I agree with the above poster: Gillon was brought in because Mal left, not because the staff doesn't trust Frank. He may be our third or fourth guard, but if he is, I have great confidence that he'll be one of the best third/fourth guards on the country, and a stellar future lead guard.
I didn't mean to come off as anti-FH. I think he will be a very good guard. But we can have very good guards as our 3rd guard. And there should be no shame in him being our 3rd guard.

And the smart comment was meant to be inexperienced. I think with experience will come better decisions, a better understanding of what JB wants in certain situations.

I just think that Gillon will have the upper hand in gaining JB's trust. Gillon has a lot of experience, although not with JB and SU.

Howard was outplaying Cooney toward the end of last season. For Boeheim to give Frank key minutes toward the end of last year speaks volumes about what JB thinks of him. Gillon was brought in as an immediate replacement for Joseph and Richardson's departures because we would be ridiculously thin in the backcourt without Gillon. White will be brought in for the same reason. Gillon and White could have great seasons for us, and I really hope they do, but I doubt either is plan A for a starting spot. Howard is the only player of the 3 that has NBA potential. The jump from Freshman to Sophomore is typically the largest improvement a player makes and Howard seems poised to make a jump after his late season contributions. Howard made a few dump plays last year but he showed a lot more flashes of greatness. I think he will be a much better player with consistent minutes and game experience. Howard's defense was outstanding for a Freshman at the top of the key. JB tends to reward defensive intensity and I think that alone will get Howard the starter's minutes.

So back to my original question...Does anyone have actual updates about Howard's offseason development? I appreciate everyone's opinions based on last year but I am going to cancel my premium membership unless I get true insider info :):):)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom