Anybody listen to local show at 1:00 today | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Anybody listen to local show at 1:00 today

Stop giving him attention. Most media personalities do not meet my standard of "acceptable," so I choose to ignore them. I prefer evidence based argument to emotion-driven hyperbole so there are not many options out there for me. I do believe that the words of a weekend radio guy are of no significance to the football program.

Where did I give him any? I am in GA and don't listen to his show ... I'm also not defending him and stating ridiculous things like its OK for media to be critical. He isn't being critical he is acting like a douchebag .. but really thanks for addressing my original point ... ugh. Again I said it is not an acceptable nor reasonable measure of criticism yet you say its fair to be critical .. so in other words you are OK with him being a petulant child ... got it.

wfschrec said:
Where did I give him any?
Every time you reply to this thread, it goes back to the top of the page and some weekend radio clown keeps getting discussed.

Every time you reply to this thread, it goes back to the top of the page and some weekend radio clown keeps getting discussed.

Then don't reply to me ... pretty simple ... again thanks for not addressing my original point.

wfschrec said:
Then don't reply to me ... pretty simple ... again thanks for not addressing my original point.
I'm not the one that is outraged. When people like you stop being outraged by things, we'll be able to have meaningful talk on the radio.

I'm not the one that is outraged. When people like you stop being outraged by things, we'll be able to have meaningful talk on the radio.

I'm not outraged ... you have yet to a.) address my original point and then b.) compound the stupidity by saying don't keep the thread alive and then doing just that. What makes it worse is in the same thread you insist shouldn't be kept living you say "Oh its ok for the media to be critical" while my point was critical is one thing ... being completely moronic and off base is different. So you a.) advocate that it is OK for the media to operate like that in a thread you say should be buried due to the nature of what was stated and then b.) keep it alive by making idiotic replies and still not addressing for the 3rd time my original point. I don't think for many this is a hard concept to grasp and what makes it worse is that media gets away with this because there is literally no accountability or correction of what is obviously poor behavior and statements made with no basis in fact. So when you decide to address the behavior instead of crawling into a hole that is when you will have "meaningful" talk on the radio. I think that pretty much sums it up.

I did address it; I said I don't find most radio talk "acceptable." My bigger point is I don't think it is worth getting worked-up about; and by continuing to talk about him you are giving him what he wants. I don't personally care if the thread continues because I do not think he is a danger to the program.
You don't need to call me an "idiot."

I did address it; I said I don't find most radio talk "acceptable." My bigger point is I don't think it is worth getting worked-up about; and by continuing to talk about him you are giving him what he wants. I don't personally care if the thread continues because I do not think he is a danger to the program.
You don't need to call me an "idiot."

Actually what you said was: "I think it is fair for the media to be critical of the program" so which is it? Not worked up at all ... you seem to speak out of both sides of your mouth. I didn't call you an idiot I said the reply was idiotic .. I can also rectify that if necessary. You sit here and say its not worth getting worked up about yet you come back for more ... I really don't get you, but hey whatever floats your boat.

When you asked me if i feel that his utterance met my standards of critical, I replied: "Most media personalities do not meet my standard of "acceptable," so I choose to ignore them." I stand by my comment that the media should be critical of the program. Whether this guy's utterance is "acceptable" depends on one's definition of acceptable. If the guy made a compelling evidence based case for Washington wasting his life, then it would meet my standard. My guess is he did not. I am sure it was just silly hyperbole. So I do not accept him, in that I would likely choose not to listen to him. It is not my kind of radio. If I had a radio show, I would not say something like that.

If the guy generates enough listeners so that his company sells enough advertising to warrant his employment, then I also accept that. There are plenty of people on the radio saying silly things. I choose not to be outraged by it because I do not think it matters to the health of the program. I do believe one of the best ways to deal with idiots is to ignore them. Unfortunately, most people do the opposite.

When you asked me if i feel that his utterance met my standards of critical, I replied: "Most media personalities do not meet my standard of "acceptable," so I choose to ignore them." I stand by my comment that the media should be critical of the program. Whether this guy's utterance is "acceptable" depends on one's definition of acceptable. If the guy made a compelling evidence based case for Washington wasting his life, then it would meet my standard. My guess is he did not. I am sure it was just silly hyperbole. So I do not accept him, in that I would likely choose not to listen to him. It is not my kind of radio. If I had a radio show, I would not say something like that.

If the guy generates enough listeners so that his company sells enough advertising to warrant his employment, then I also accept that. There are plenty of people on the radio saying silly things. I choose not to be outraged by it because I do not think it matters to the health of the program. I do believe one of the best ways to deal with idiots is to ignore them. Unfortunately, most people do the opposite.

My point is what he uttered would not be based on sheer facts ... and your simple dismissal of these guys is the problem. Do you remember the fizz and Ishaq drama? If you feel that guys like this can't hurt SU athletics then by all means continue living with your head in the sand. At this point it is about accountability something we lack in this country at many levels.

wfschrec said:
My point is what he uttered would not be based on sheer facts ... and your simple dismissal of these guys is the problem. Do you remember the fizz and Ishaq drama? If you feel that guys like this can't hurt SU athletics then by all means continue living with your head in the sand. At this point it is about accountability something we lack in this country at many levels.
i will agree to disagree. We will never be able to hold all of the idiots in the world accountable. I prefer to not give their words so much power. If people stopped being outraged every time Rush Limbaugh or Keith Olbermann said something silly, they would go away. That's the solution to the problem in my opinion.

i will agree to disagree. We will never be able to hold all of the idiots in the world accountable. I prefer to not give their words so much power. If people stopped being outraged every time Rush Limbaugh or Keith Olbermann said something silly, they would go away. That's the solution to the problem in my opinion.

Yes because ignoring things has proven to be so effective ... which is why there are more and more of them everytime you turn around. Ostrich syndrome is the worst one to have.

wfschrec said:
Yes because ignoring things has proven to be so effective ... which is why there are more and more of them everytime you turn around. Ostrich syndrome is the worst one to have.
Okay, please tell me how we are going to hold local weekend radio guy accountable.

Okay, please tell me how we are going to hold local weekend radio guy accountable.

For one calling in as fans and setting the record straight on the air is a good place to start ... and of course having a thread that factually can refute what is stated is another and even a well written blog is also very effective ... especially when you can simply google a name now and see anything written by or about someone ... you do know how a web crawler works don't you? Or do I need to explain that as well?

wfschrec said:
you do know how a web crawler works don't you? Or do I need to explain that as well?
Was that necessary?

Was that necessary?

Yes because you ask me a ridiculous question I give an answer. Your tone had smart alec written all over it ... I was once told that if I don't want to hear the answer don't ask the question. I know exactly what you hoped to gain by asking it, sorry to disappoint you.

If that happened where I live in Knoxville, the guy would be fired before the end of the show. There is a certain aspect of homerism that is required, or should be, with local sports talk radio.

Last edited:
If that happened where I live in Knoxville, the guy would be fired before the end of the show. There is a certain aspect of homerism that is required, or should be, with local sports talk radio.

Yeah can somebody explain to me why this is not the case in Syracuse ?

Yeah can somebody explain to me why this is not the case in Syracuse ?

Because a.) In the south football is religion. Before I moved here a friend of mine in Bama told me if I move here I need to love two things: Jesus and college football. b.) It is just flat out easier for people to stick their heads in the sand ... I give you this thread as evidence.

Because a.) In the south football is religion. Before I moved here a friend of mine in Bama told me if I move here I need to love two things: Jesus and college football. b.) It is just flat out easier for people to stick their heads in the sand ... I give you this thread as evidence.

I mean why is the Syracuse sports media slant negative when it comes to Syracuse Athletics in general ?

maybe some regular sports talk radio callers on this board Steve in North Syracuse should call into Orange Nation tomorrow and call this fool out.

In a college sports town like Syracuse. I want homers in the media.

I disagree with that. What this guy said was beyond silly and foolish but he doesn't need to be a homer to have a job either.

I disagree with that. What this guy said was beyond silly and foolish but he doesn't need to be a homer to have a job either.

In a college sports town. It helps.

Another post suggested and linked an email to his employer.

What would happen if enough of us did that and emailed our thoughts on him.

In a college sports town. It helps.

Another post suggested and linked an email to his employer.

What would happen if enough of us did that and emailed our thoughts on him.
His employer would probably give him a raise and extend his show by an hour or two. Because he is drawing that much attention to his show. There is no such thing as bad press. The more people write in complaining about Rush Limbaugh and Howard Stern over the years they didn't make less money. They made more money.

If you don't like the guy, stop posting about him. Don't email his boss. And when he says stupid stuff, don't start threads on him. Just flat out ignore him.

Oh well as long as Stern doesn't agree it must not be so ... I'm sure he is an expert on how media is handled across the country ... another one of your typical posts ... no substance just gum flapping.

Oh well as long as Stern doesn't agree it must not be so ... I'm sure he is an expert on how media is handled across the country ... another one of your typical posts ... no substance just gum flapping.
Settle down junior. Jut giving an opinion like everyone else on this site :rolleyes:

But radio shows that are just hosted by "homers" usually are boring. No reason to tune in every day cause you know what the host is going to say. Give the hometown spin on things. Would rather have a host be honest on the home town team. Say the positive, point out the negative and be objective. Give the listener a reason to tune in and hear his take on things

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom