Anyone have a good feel for NC State this year? | Syracusefan.com

Anyone have a good feel for NC State this year?

cuseinchina

Starter
I have just enough free time with 3 kids and a 60 hour work week to watch the Syracuse game and maybe the Florida game with my partner if they don't coincide. That's it for my football watching other than highlights. So I have no clue how NC State matches up with us. I know they almost took out Clemson, but I suspect that they aren't as good as that made them look. I think we win this week in Boston handily (may try to get down if I can swing it we shall see). But I think Clemson will be rough and then we need a solid win vs NC State to give us a shot at a bowl. If we get confidence up who knows what can happen versus an inexplicitly weak and hopefully fully checked-out FSU at home?? Then from what I'm reading here the match-up vs Pitt is reasonably favorable. SO to me this NC State game is the key to a bowl. Realistically how does that look to people who know?

if we play with the energy of the VT game we have a shot. mistake free and dont drop balls, give away scores. Same for the BC game. they might not be good but the margin for error is still small.

if we play with the energy of the VT game we have a shot. mistake free and dont drop balls, give away scores. Same for the BC game. they might not be good but the margin for error is still small.

Agree 100%, very small margin of error is a great way to put it, which includes Saturday for sure. Addazio is essentially coaching for his job

I watched much of their game against Clemson. I was impressed with NC State's D. They looked big and athletic. This is year 4 of Doeren I believe so it makes some sense that it would be coming together. Statistically they're not quite where VT and BC are, but they're still #16, giving up 315 per game. We'll have to earn it.

Their offense also looked pretty good passing the ball in a tough environment. QB really hung in the pocket.

As I said earlier, really curious to see how they do at Louisville. You figure mentally they're crushed after last week. But this is a great chance to make up for it.

After what we did against VT, I think anyone's beatable in the Dome. As IB said, we won't have much room for error.

I watched much of their game against Clemson. I was impressed with NC State's D. They looked big and athletic. This is year 4 of Doeren I believe so it makes some sense that it would be coming together. Statistically they're not quite where VT and BC are, but they're still #16, giving up 315 per game. We'll have to earn it.

Their offense also looked pretty good passing the ball in a tough environment. QB really hung in the pocket.

As I said earlier, really curious to see how they do at Louisville. You figure mentally they're crushed after last week. But this is a great chance to make up for it.

After what we did against VT, I think anyone's beatable in the Dome. As IB said, we won't have much room for error.
I expect the players will have added motivation playing NCST, due to a certain coach who doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut.

I don't have much of a feel at all, because I thought we would beat Wake and lose to Vt.

Last edited:
Nc st gave up 450 to ECU, 350 to wake, 500 to clemson.

the ND game is a throw away as is bill n mary..

Old Dominion had about 500 vs everyone , but App State they had 300 and nc st they had 330.

much like VT and BC the stats are skewed by the Opp. we will get our 4-500 but will we get the points.. we are still way behind the scale on points for the yards we get. 450 yds should be getting you closer to 38 than 30.. we get that fixed and things will really look up.

there have been less than 25 games with teams gaining 500 yds and not scoring 35 points.. we have 3 of them.. only one other team has done it twice. statistically 500 yds gets you more than 50 than it gets you less than 40 and we are at 33.20.31 thats almost beyond belief.. no one scored less than 23 and we got 20 vs USF.

by all stats we should have had a 50 point game by now and we havent broken 35. Millhouse numbers at work.

Nc st gave up 450 to ECU, 350 to wake, 500 to clemson.

the ND game is a throw away as is bill n mary..

Old Dominion had about 500 vs everyone , but App State they had 300 and nc st they had 330.

much like VT and BC the stats are skewed by the Opp. we will get our 4-500 but will we get the points.. we are still way behind the scale on points for the yards we get. 450 yds should be getting you closer to 38 than 30.. we get that fixed and things will really look up.

there have been less than 25 games with teams gaining 500 yds and not scoring 35 points.. we have 3 of them.. only one other team has done it twice. statistically 500 yds gets you more than 50 than it gets you less than 40 and we are at 33.20.31 thats almost beyond belief.. no one scored less than 23 and we got 20 vs USF.

by all stats we should have had a 50 point game by now and we havent broken 35. Millhouse numbers at work.

We played some pretty good defenses in Wake, Louisville and Va Tech.

Yea. Wake's D was led by some guy nicknamed Hurricane
Their D was pretty good actually, they held FSU to 440 and 17 pts not in a hurricane. I hope our D does as well against them.

Great question and discussion. They have big athletes but IMHO dont have that big play ability to gash you. Thats good news for us. They cant be bigger and more athletic than VT. Again, I sit 3 rows off the field at the visitors 40 yard line, have for 10 years. Great seats and its fun to watch and actually hear player coach interaction. VT was the biggest and most athletic team i have witnessed in those 10 years. Yes, that includes: PSU, LSU, WASHINGTON, MINNY, FSU , Clemson, and the VILLE. That gives me great confidence against NCST, a team that we need to beat to become bowl eligible:) GO CUSE!

I'm not sure what to make of NC State having watched some of their last two games. Notre Dame game was a flood so not a fair baseline and they had some really fortunate takeaways against Clemson.

Kind of sad but before the Virginia Tech game, they were the only ACC team that we've beaten besides Wake Forest and BC. Come to think of it, that win against them in 2013 actually felt really important at the time.

A lot depends on our defense improving. I don't know if we'll win another game this year but I am really impressed by Babers' player development. It would not surprise me if he and his staff won a couple more - that would include this weekend and one other, likely NC State given Pitt's history with us and stronger offense this year.

NCState has some good speed and the turnover game is going to be huge in the SU/NCS game. I kind of think of them as a USF talent wise and I'm glad the game is in the Dome. The team that makes or takes advantage of plays/situations will win this game. Got to block n tackle and catch the ball and SU will be fine but I think this is going to be quite a battle.

They have more talent and have been in their defensive system longer. Their new QB/OC combo is a clear upgrade.

They have some good playmakers on offense.

It's going to be tough. I have faith, but they are pretty good.

I don't have a good feeling about NC State. I think NC State is a pretty good team. They have a balanced offense with a pretty good running back in Dayes, and a good defense. VA Tech got a lot of publicity for leading the ACC in total defense going into our game, but in scoring defense NC State is right there with them. We can beat them at home, but it's going to be tough.

A lot of people are writing off Pitt, but I think they are the most winnable game after BC. Pitt is scoring a lot of points, mostly on the ground, but their defense is giving up 432 yards per game (#79) and 329 passing yards per game (#125). And their schedule hasn't included FSU, Louisville, or Clemson...but it did include Georgia Tech, who only attempted 10 passes against Pitt. If you exclude that game, Pitt is allowing 370 yards per game through the air. Pitt has the worst passing defense of any FBS team we will play this year. By a lot. Wish we had them at home this year.

I would say our most winnable games, in increasing order of difficulty, are:

BC
Pitt
NC State
FSU
Clemson

I don't have a good feeling about NC State. I think NC State is a pretty good team. They have a balanced offense with a pretty good running back in Dayes, and a good defense. VA Tech got a lot of publicity for leading the ACC in total defense going into our game, but in scoring defense NC State is right there with them. We can beat them at home, but it's going to be tough.

A lot of people are writing off Pitt, but I think they are the most winnable game after BC. Pitt is scoring a lot of points, mostly on the ground, but their defense is giving up 432 yards per game (#79) and 329 passing yards per game (#125). And their schedule hasn't included FSU, Louisville, or Clemson...but it did include Georgia Tech, who only attempted 10 passes against Pitt. If you exclude that game, Pitt is allowing 370 yards per game through the air. Pitt has the worst passing defense of any FBS team we will play this year. By a lot. Wish we had them at home this year.

I would say our most winnable games, in increasing order of difficulty, are:

BC
Pitt
NC State
FSU
Clemson
110%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski