Anyone hear this new stadium rumor | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Anyone hear this new stadium rumor

Seriously. In this situation, you say yes to the fund request and work out the details after. I remember when to dome roof was inflated. I went out for a run and first saw the thing from the top of Lincoln Park. I'll never forget it and honestly, there has been nothing built in Syracuse since to rival the excitement, energy and national stature of the dome. This is their chance to repeat that level of success again. Damn them if they screw it up.
Did you forget about this?

th

Yes, she abandoned her request. That is far from "secured". Obviously the $4M relatively trivial in the scheme of deciding to go further with the concept. In any case, if the $200M was even considered possible then Miner should be impeached. They bring her in and she just objects?!!! C'mon now.
please read the article, it will help with the facts. really it will

The fact is "request" <> "secured"
here, let me copy and paste for you

Mahoney said she convinced Gov. Andrew Cuomo to provide significant state funding for a sports stadium that would anchor a new neighborhood with 1 million square feet of additional private development in the Kennedy Square area. Syracuse University and private developer COR Development backed the plan, but Miner was skeptical from the outset, Mahoney said

If the State, and County are going to be funding the project, don't build it in the city, the majority of the population in this area doesn't live there. You also don't need the city, screwing around every few years, because they feel they have a bad deal. The county should be the ones in charge, so find an area with lots of room, accessible to highways where you can have a lot of parking.

If your prime tenant is SU you can't stick it out in a pasture in Lysander, Van Buren, Camilus, Onondaga, or Manlius. You have to be reasonable.

I personally think that the location was picked to help kickstart some urban redevelopment in the center city and keep the facility as close to the University, and extend it's reach, and center city as possible. There was your mutual benefit there.

The University wins by freeing up acreage in the heart of campus, having the stadium within site of campus, and a new facility.

Cuomo and Mahoney benefit by bringing a big project to Onondaga County that can be seen as benefiting the city without any contribution from the city in terms of financing, targeting the project to renew a section of the center city instead of placing in more obvious areas such as the inner harbor, which would be seen as a sop to Congel and Destiny or South Campus, which would create resentment that the government was underwriting a purely SU facility.

Fans win because it would be a new stadium, but it still wouldn't address some key issues such as parking, tailgaiting (it would make it worse if that is even possible), and ease of access, at least without substantial improvements and change in the area. It's obviously a tight squeeze and you are going to need to significantly change the surrounding area to provide parking adjacent to the facility.

I think the better choice is the inner harbor because of the stadium, Destiny, and the development around the harbor would reinforce each other, it also the best choice from an existing traffic and infrastructure (would allow for a fan experience similar to other football stadiums) perspective and least disruptive and most additive to the city and county as a whole.

here, let me copy and paste for you

Mahoney said she convinced Gov. Andrew Cuomo to provide significant state funding for a sports stadium that would anchor a new neighborhood with 1 million square feet of additional private development in the Kennedy Square area. Syracuse University and private developer COR Development backed the plan, but Miner was skeptical from the outset, Mahoney said
Thank you . (1) it was not "secured" but sounded promising. the thought that she was "convinced" is very nice but not solid. (2) Miner is an idiot for dismissing it offhand once they brought her in.

If your prime tenant is SU you can't stick it out in a pasture in Lysander, Van Buren, Camilus, Onondaga, or Manlius. You have to be reasonable.

I personally think that the location was picked to help kickstart some urban redevelopment in the center city and keep the facility as close to the University, and extend it's reach, and center city as possible. There was your mutual benefit there.

The University wins by freeing up acreage in the heart of campus, having the stadium within site of campus, and a new facility.

Cuomo and Mahoney benefit by bringing a big project to Onondaga County that can be seen as benefiting the city without any contribution from the city in terms of financing, targeting the project to renew a section of the center city instead of placing in more obvious areas such as the inner harbor, which would be seen as a sop to Congel and Destiny or South Campus, which would create resentment that the government was underwriting a purely SU facility.

Fans win because it would be a new stadium, but it still wouldn't address some key issues such as parking, tailgaiting (it would make it worse if that is even possible), and ease of access, at least without substantial improvements and change in the area. It's obviously a tight squeeze and you are going to need to significantly change the surrounding area to provide parking adjacent to the facility.

I think the better choice is the inner harbor because of the stadium, Destiny, and the development around the harbor would reinforce each other, it also the best choice from an existing traffic and infrastructure (would allow for a fan experience similar to other football stadiums) perspective and least disruptive and most additive to the city and county as a whole.
it's a win win win for everyone except the vast majority of NYers who don't root for syracuse but still have to pay hundreds of millions. who cares about them

That Kennedy site is too Damn narrow to put a stadium on it and the city would have to use eminent domain to make it wide enough and even shut down Erie Blvd. to make it a go. Biotech just spent 24 million to build their building plus the value of that land. Even though the state technically owns the land,upstate medical is not going to give it without a fight.

Retro you keep saying the site is too narrow and would go over Erie Blvd but I just overlaid the dome and it fits if you remove biotech or go over water street (a street few use) not over Erie Blvd. My guess would be is the stadium would be more narrow and taller with a high overhang for the upper deck and it would fit without a problem. If you ran a light rail or a dedicated bus only street west along water street to downtown with a station under the stadium then east along erie blvd and up to marshal street along s. Crouse it would add huge parking capacity and improve connectivity for students and downtown. You would need to shut down water street from Clinton square east and S. Crouse north of marshal but these are very low traffic streets and the light rail could along the median of Erie Blvd to the east or have the busses use Erie itself from a dedicated on ramp off the end of water street (no immediate red Lights).

upload_2014-1-14_17-4-2.png

it's a win win win for everyone except the vast majority of NYers who don't root for syracuse but still have to pay hundreds of millions. who cares about them
The money is going somewhere regardless. It's not like everyone in New York is going to get a check from the state for $10.22 if this stadium doesn't get built.

In one of the articles, it says they have been talking about this sense November and we just happen to find out about it (Post-Standard) within a week of Miner finding out about it and not liking the idea? I think that is highly suspicious.
From the Mahoney article: Mahoney said she first met with Miner to discuss the proposal Dec. 13.

We didn't find out about it for nearly another month, not until shortly after the letter was sent to SU, so I'd venture that the leak came from someone involved with the preparation or receipt of that. Note that the county and state were not cc'd as well.

Last edited:
The money is going somewhere regardless. It's not like everyone in New York is going to get a check from the state for $10.22 if this stadium doesn't get built.

Yep, we'll be happy to take it over here in the Albany area (not that we don't already get at least our share of the pie). I do appreciate Milhouse's point but the fact is that $200 million is going to find a home somewhere. The Governor is up for reelection this fall after all.

From the Mahoney article: Mahoney said she first met with Miner to discuss the proposal Dec. 13.

We didn't find out about it until after the letter was sent to SU, so I'd guess the leak came from someone involved with the preparation or receipt of that. Note that the county and state were not cc'd as well.

I will say that I overlooked that part of the article but I believe this is the telling part "After a final, unsuccessful attempt to win over the mayor during a Jan. 3 meeting, Mahoney abandoned the Kennedy Square proposal, at least for this year, Mahoney said." So again, after the final unsuccessful attempt to win over the mayor on January 3rd, this story could have just disappeared and all of a sudden it shows up all over the internet and paper after it was dead? Maybe you disagree, but I find it strange that after finding out the mayor was a no go on January 3rd, all these reports come out making her look bad. I think there is more to it.

you should have seen the original plans with connecting hotels coming out of Onondaga Lake and the golf course running along 690

You mean the golf course that was superimposed over the upper fairgrounds parking lot?

It's not like they would need to use the lot for parking during the Fair or anything like that. :crazy:

Retro you keep saying the site is too narrow and would go over Erie Blvd but I just overlaid the dome and it fits if you remove biotech or go over water street (a street few use) not over Erie Blvd. My guess would be is the stadium would be more narrow and taller with a high overhang for the upper deck and it would fit without a problem. If you ran a light rail or a dedicated bus only street west along water street to downtown with a station under the stadium then east along erie blvd and up to marshal street along s. Crouse it would add huge parking capacity and improve connectivity for students and downtown. You would need to shut down water street from Clinton square east and S. Crouse north of marshal but these are very low traffic streets and the light rail could along the median of Erie Blvd to the east or have the busses use Erie itself from a dedicated on ramp off the end of water street (no immediate red Lights).

The new place damn well better have a bigger footprint then the current stadium. The whole concourse, stairs, food and corners needs to be done MUCH better and bigger.

Funny that DeFrancisco isn't mentioned anywhere in these latest developments. Definitely more to come. My bet someone steps up as the peacemaker before Cuomo finalizes his budget. Or better yet the money gets allocated and held by Mahoney until everyone's feathers stop being ruffled.

Funny that DeFrancisco isn't mentioned anywhere in these latest developments. Definitely more to come. My bet someone steps up as the peacemaker before Cuomo finalizes his budget. Or better yet the money gets allocated and held by Mahoney until everyone's feathers stop being ruffled.
This is my thought too.

You mean the golf course that was superimposed over the upper fairgrounds parking lot?

It's not like they would need to use the lot for parking during the Fair or anything like that. :crazy:

I was employed at Pyramid at the time and have seen some pretty exotic designs. The 50 floor hotels coming out of the Lake took the cake though.