Anyone Know How Hughes Looks? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Anyone Know How Hughes Looks?

It's always difficult to discuss this stuff b/c in this day and age of college hoops anything can happen from one year to the next. But that's a lot of talent and, perhaps more importantly, a lot of experience. Hughes as a third-year guy, Howard as a fourth-year, Chuckwu as a fifth-year guy and then Marek, Brissett and Sidibe back for year 2. That's about as much experience as you can get these days.
Experience and maintain our huge Size.

The back line remains extremely tall and adds Baze, so actually may get a touch taller. Hughes is a tall addition at the 2. Only Carey is average height.

I'm not sure Dion really "embraced" it. He was the number 4 overall pick with major talent, he either played well or transferred and ends up being a nobody who never made the NBA.
Agreed. Wasnt necessarily the point of my post though

Probably just wishful thinking on my part, but is it really a foregone conclusion that Battle leaves? He's not getting a ton of national publicity (yet) and this is a really deep draft class.

This draft is going to have Mikal Bridges, Lonnie Walker, Gary Trent Jr., Troy Brown, Lagerald Vick, Grayson Allen, Allonzo Trier, Rawle Alkins, Hami Diallo, and maybe a few others as potential SGs in the late lotto to end of the first round territory. That's a lot of competition for Battle to be confident in being a lock for the first round, but obviously we still have a lot of season left.

If Battle comes back, Hughes could potentially swing between the 2 and the 3. If he doesn't he'll probably just play the 2.

After tonight is anyone sure Frank will be back next year?

It doesn't happen until I declare "He gone," and we have a ways to go before that happens.

The "ways to go" is every single minute of his eligibility.

I think this could help Frank a lot as well, might be great for him to focus on scoring rather than focusing on 4 other guys.
Yes. Frank is a 2 guard at heart. He will replace battle for sure.

Probably just wishful thinking on my part, but is it really a foregone conclusion that Battle leaves? He's not getting a ton of national publicity (yet) and this is a really deep draft class.

This draft is going to have Mikal Bridges, Lonnie Walker, Gary Trent Jr., Troy Brown, Lagerald Vick, Grayson Allen, Allonzo Trier, Rawle Alkins, Hami Diallo, and maybe a few others as potential SGs in the late lotto to end of the first round territory. That's a lot of competition for Battle to be confident in being a lock for the first round, but obviously we still have a lot of season left.

If Battle comes back, Hughes could potentially swing between the 2 and the 3. If he doesn't he'll probably just play the 2.

Good post and good points. Will be interesting to watch Lagerald Vick because he is the real deal. He does a little more overall on the court than Tyus. He is really going to come after our guys defensively and he’s a great athlete. Really like him.

I'm not laughing, just shaking my head.

Perspective is a good thing. Let's see what the guy can do against better competition before suggesting he would go pro. Again, come on.

I certainly agree that we need to see what Frank does this year against the better teams. That's why I only asked if people are sure he won't be going pro. To say that you are sure means you expect him to fail against the better teams. Remember that we've seen some remarkable transformations in recent years, especially since the construction of the Melo Center. .

I certainly agree that we need to see what Frank does this year against the better teams. That's why I only asked if people are sure he won't be going pro. To say that you are sure means you expect him to fail against the better teams. Remember that we've seen some remarkable transformations in recent years, especially since the construction of the Melo Center. .

You weren't responding to me but I'll chime in. Frank Howard is not going to play in the NBA. He doesn't have an NBA handle, jumper, athleticism, etc. He can get better. He might have a good year. He won't leave early for the NBA. Frank could play overseas when he's done at SU but he's not going to be an NBA player. I won't say it's impossible but it's HIGHLY improbable. Like winning the Powerball odds.

He doesn’t look like an NBA type of PG especially from a speed/explosion/handle standpoint. I could however maybe see him garner some interest if he potentially plays the 2 next to Carey next season and his scoring goes really nuts. I could see him potentially as a poor man’s Larry Hughes.

Last edited:
He doesn’t look like an NBA type of PG especially from a speed/explosion standpoint. I could however maybe see him garner some interest if he potentially plays the 2 next to Carey next season and his scoring goes nuts. I could see him potentially as a poor man’s Larry Hughes.

If Howard makes the NBA, it will be after successfully playing his senior year here and then spending a few years in Europe or the G-league. There's not a single aspect of his game that is NBA ready except for his size.

Nonsense.

He might not "fail" and could prove to be a terrific college player, but that outcome is hardly correlated with whether he proves to be a viable NBA prospect. Lots of great college players never sniff the NBA.

The notion of him going pro after this year is far fetched, beyond belief.

Nonsense.

He might not "fail" and could prove to be a terrific college player, but that outcome is hardly correlated with whether he proves to be a viable NBA prospect. Lots of great college players never sniff the NBA.

The notion of him going pro after this year is far fetched, beyond belief.

It was last year. This year, I'm not so sure.

Keep in mind that you don't need to be a "viable NBA prospect" to declare for the draft. You just need to think your. And if frank has a good year, he might think that way. Basically anybody who has a good year for a power conference school is going to consider it. I hope he stays but I've hoped a lot of other guys would stay, too.

It was last year. This year, I'm not so sure.

Keep in mind that you don't need to be a "viable NBA prospect" to declare for the draft. You just need to think your. And if frank has a good year, he might think that way. Basically anybody who has a good year for a power conference school is going to consider it. I hope he stays but I've hoped a lot of other guys would stay, too.

SWC, I think with your avatar changes, folks may have forgotten who you are and your wisdom. Being I dont look at names, it took me a moment myself.

Speaking of names(to telegraph the segue for those who might otherwise miss the link), it's amazing how much we link to the names and the pasrt, vs the present + potential.

Judging from this picture I think he does lol

Good call lol, but then again rock stars and famous people of all sorts take pictures with people they might otherwise have no interest in. If it was MD requesting the photo, I would tend to agree with you.

If anyone wants to hear my theme song, that link to Cracker's Eurotrash Girl has it. David Lowry hit it in the upper deck with that song for those of us who have been there(and to quote Californication, "and I dont mean on vacation").

(moving from my theme to all of Western civilization's theme... Here's to hoping MD's culture still has enough of reality in it that he doesnt buy into Western's cizilizations false replacements that many of us consider reality). While we're here, let's also hope Hughes is centered, and getting back to the original question I was replying to, doesnt leave after this season either. ;)

SWC, I think with your avatar changes, folks may have forgotten who you are and your wisdom. Being I dont look at names, it took me a moment myself.

Speaking of names(to telegraph the segue for those who might otherwise miss the link), it's amazing how much we link to the names and the pasrt, vs the present + potential.

In case you missed it, the source of my avatar is the premiere episode of "Mission Impossible", which is about a really smart guy:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom