Anyone that watched the Spring Game | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Anyone that watched the Spring Game

Impossible to tell anything definitive by the Spring game, but some general observations that stood out were:

The physical stature of our WR's. Enoicy, Custis, and even Ishmael are an intimidating trio. You don't find athleticism in guys the size of Enoicy and Custis. Then you have Ishmael, who has the height (looked a little more muscular), and is the more technical route runner with amazing hands. He could be a future pro. Dunk at TE also gives you that physical presence, and showed the ability to get open downf field. IF these guys are used properly we could have some of the best receiving weapons we have had in a long time.

That brings me to the next observation, and that was of Hunt. Maybe he is still a bit rusty, but he doesn't exactly has the reputation of being the most accurate guy in the world. Just way too many balls off target. Even in 1 on 0 passing drills he was missing the target.

Impossible to tell anything definitive by the Spring game, but some general observations that stood out were:

The physical stature of our WR's. Enoicy, Custis, and even Ishmael are an intimidating trio. You don't find athleticism in guys the size of Enoicy and Custis. Then you have Ishmael, who has the height (looked a little more muscular), and is the more technical route runner with amazing hands. He could be a future pro. Dunk at TE also gives you that physical presence, and showed the ability to get open downf field. IF these guys are used properly we could have some of the best receiving weapons we have had in a long time.

That brings me to the next observation, and that was of Hunt. Maybe he is still a bit rusty, but he doesn't exactly has the reputation of being the most accurate guy in the world. Just way too many balls off target. Even in 1 on 0 passing drills he was missing the target.

And this is killer. We simply can't miss opportunity this year because of an inaccurate QB. That simply is unacceptable after two years in a row of that kinda of erratic play. If so, we're in big trouble. The defense is gonna give up points, we will have to score and score often to compete. A scary proposition after last seasons horrendous offense.

They didn't show much, which is what they intended. This coaching staff did nothing to excite the fan base for next year. When will college football coaches realize that they aren't going to trick anyone anymore. This secrecy thing is rediculous and all it does is turn the fan base off or people just don't even realize the football program is doing anything. If they think they are going to be able to excite this town with some promos a couple of weeks before the season starts, they obviously don't get it.
I don't know, coach paranoia is one of the things that amuses me most, especially when we're inept.

And this is killer. We simply can't miss opportunity this year because of an inaccurate QB. That simply is unacceptable after two years in a row of that kinda of erratic play. If so, we're in big trouble. The defense is gonna give up points, we will have to score and score often to compete. A scary proposition after last seasons horrendous offense.

I think i'm in the minority, but I am pretty high on this defense. It's young, it's extremely athletic, and imo is more talented then the past 2 years. I'll be pretty disappointed if they are much worse then last year, and give up a bunch of points.

Never put too much in the Spring game. Once in awhile you might see an individual emerge ( Kyle McIntosh ) but as far as team strength its useless. Maybe our D is much better then we thought. Hunt definitely didn't look sharp but so what.

I think i'm in the minority, but I am pretty high on this defense. It's young, it's extremely athletic, and imo is more talented then the past 2 years. I'll be pretty disappointed if they are much worse then last year, and give up a bunch of points.
Call it reading the tea leaves or whatever, but it sounds like we may not drop off a whole lot. Daoust will have the DL ready to play. Interior DL sounds solid and DE could be a big asset with Thompson and Simmons leading the charge. I have no worry about LB - they may be young but they'll learn quickly, and there is some actual game time already in the bank. The surprise was DB, sounds like CB could be solid. If we can get any help at S (Blair?) we'll be OK.

It also sounds like if Wilson makes a move, we could have a genuine battle in the summer.

Call it reading the tea leaves or whatever, but it sounds like we may not drop off a whole lot. Daoust will have the DL ready to play. Interior DL sounds solid and DE could be a big asset with Thompson and Simmons leading the charge. I have no worry about LB - they may be young but they'll learn quickly, and there is some actual game time already in the bank. The surprise was DB, sounds like CB could be solid. If we can get any help at S (Blair?) we'll be OK.

\

imo our strongest coaches are on the defensive side of the ball. Daoust and Lea are arguably the best position coaches we have. They have routinely (especially Daoust) turned a presumed weakness into a strength. Once again they have some extremely talented underclassmen to work with so there is no reason they can't do it again. I think we actually improved at DE despite losing two 2 year starters. Same goes for OLB. Frankin is going to be an absolute stud. and the combination of Hodge, Bennett, and JT shouldn't be too much of a drop off from Cam, and Dyshawn. The secondary will be a big question, but from everything you hear about Cordy, Dowels, Hudson, and Williams the talent is there. Cordy has already proven he can step in and make things happen. If the secondary can hold their own the unit shouldn't miss a beat.

I want to write something up later with more detail but for right keep these two things in mind.
The offense was very plain in its play calling.
Hunt will never look good in a scenario where he isn't allowed to run. The offense was playing 11 on 10 and that is not what this offense will look like in the fall. Not comparing the two but how would Tebow have looked in a Florida spring game.

It also sounds like if Wilson makes a move, we could have a genuine battle in the summer.

From my seat, I think it is highly unlikely that Wilson will unseat Hunt. And not just because Hunt is a Senior, or even an above average QB.

I am hoping that Dungy and Womack bring more to the table for 2016. The program (and this staff) desperately needs to hit on a QB who is a difference maker.

Looked like Wilson made a move and i don't if it was because Hunt's leg still may be bothering him enough to throw off the mechanics.

Hudson is going to be an excellent lock down corner and it will be hard to keep him off the field.

Scissum looks like he will be a very physical safety for us sooner than later.

The D-line could be scary good if what i saw saturday translate into ACC play. Raymon and Samuels are going to be monsters to move off the line for opposing O-Lines

From my seat, I think it is highly unlikely that Wilson will unseat Hunt. And not just because Hunt is a Senior, or even an above average QB.

I am hoping that Dungy and Womack bring more to the table for 2016. The program (and this staff) desperately needs to hit on a QB who is a difference maker.

So true.

I watched most of it on TV. I was disappointed with Hunt. Yes, they didn't open the playbook but his throws were bad. Little touch. That scares me the most about what I saw.

Could that difference maker already be here or be coming in this fall? That's the beauty of college sports, with so many dynamics changing every year. I'd like to hope that someone eats their Wheaties and comes on strong in the fall.

Could that difference maker already be here or be coming in this fall? That's the beauty of college sports, with so many dynamics changing every year. I'd like to hope that someone eats their Wheaties and comes on strong in the fall.
I don't see any of our QB recruits playing well as a true freshman. It can be done, sure, but generally it has to be an upper-echelon blue chip. The guys we are recruiting can be good, but need development time. Joe Fields had a rough go of it, as did AJ. Have to hope that Hunt, Wilson, and this year's AJ can get it done.

Wilson is Hunt without the ability to run. He constantly misses wide open receivers. He will not see the field during his time here or we are in real trouble.

This was the only thing I took away from the Spring game. People say we didn't open the play book and we only called the most basic plays? If that is the case Hunt should have been up near 60% passing instead of 10/30 ouch. That has me very concerned.

You guys really want to point out 10/30 but dont want to mention drops. Trolling or laziness...I just cant tell. definitely 6-8 drops out there.

You guys really want to point out 10/30 but dont want to mention drops. Trolling or laziness...I just cant tell. definitely 6-8 drops out there.
so drops arent a concern?

hoopsupstate said:
Wilson is Hunt without the ability to run. He constantly misses wide open receivers. He will not see the field during his time here or we are in real trouble.

I'd want Wilson over Hunt in this format. As good as Hunt looks when he has the option to take off - Wilson looks bad when there is a breakdown. His ability to make a decision or good throw under pressure is awful.

rosconey said:
so drops arent a concern?
Not really. You have to assume that they will catch more than they drop on average. I worry more about balls overthrown or under thrown.

How many players does Syracuse have on the team? Including Walk-ons...

Seems Cuse at a disadvantage vs. State Schools who all have 120 guys with 40 walk-ons to fill in during such events.

Different ball of wax at a state school I think

Amount of drops are a big concern and they weren't all from poorly thrown balls. Some of the balls weren't thrown with great accuracy but many drops I saw were players with their hands touching the ball somewhere near their body.

TE - Dunkleberger: Looks like a player, caught the ball, got open. What's not to like. I love it when the offense uses the TE, opens so much up during the game.

50 yd fg? Missed it but thought I heard the announcer say that. If true, what's not to like about that. Might be the most exciting part of our offense.

Ish - Looks better than last year, looks like he's getting better and better. I to think he's a future NFL player if he keeps progressing. Guy is very talented, hope all his talent is realized in his career with SU.

OL - They got a lot of push all day... backwards. Not good at all.

RB - Hard to know if lack of excitement in running game is purely the situation of the Spring Game or the poor OL play. But even in our down times we've always had 1 - 2 RB's that just got the job done. I don't care about a RB that can run the ball for a 75 yard TD if they do that once a year and suck the rest of the time. Give me a guy that consistently gets positive yards and can make something out of nothing. I don't see any of that on a consistent basis.

Defense - always love our defense. They seemed fast and looked like they were hitting pretty hard for a practice game. Injuries have to be a concern during the season. Excited to see Ron Thompson progress, he looked like a potential beast in the making but again, how much did the OL contribute to this. I hope he does well because I thought he was going to make a good TE when he was first recruited. He seems to have really embraced his role as a DE and could have a huge impact this year, then from there you never know... NFL?

qdawgg said:
Amount of drops are a big concern and they weren't all from poorly thrown balls. Some of the balls weren't thrown with great accuracy but many drops I saw were players with their hands touching the ball somewhere near their body. TE - Dunkleberger: Looks like a player, caught the ball, got open. What's not to like. I love it when the offense uses the TE, opens so much up during the game. 50 yd fg? Missed it but thought I heard the announcer say that. If true, what's not to like about that. Might be the most exciting part of our offense. Ish - Looks better than last year, looks like he's getting better and better. I to think he's a future NFL player if he keeps progressing. Guy is very talented, hope all his talent is realized in his career with SU. OL - They got a lot of push all day... backwards. Not good at all. RB - Hard to know if lack of excitement in running game is purely the situation of the Spring Game or the poor OL play. But even in our down times we've always had 1 - 2 RB's that just got the job done. I don't care about a RB that can run the ball for a 75 yard TD if they do that once a year and suck the rest of the time. Give me a guy that consistently gets positive yards and can make something out of nothing. I don't see any of that on a consistent basis. Defense - always love our defense. They seemed fast and looked like they were hitting pretty hard for a practice game. Injuries have to be a concern during the season. Excited to see Ron Thompson progress, he looked like a potential beast in the making but again, how much did the OL contribute to this. I hope he does well because I thought he was going to make a good TE when he was first recruited. He seems to have really embraced his role as a DE and could have a huge impact this year, then from there you never know... NFL?

From my rewatch:

- about 3-4 of the passes were right in the hands and dropped (Mackys little brother in the end zone was one). As Gedney said during telecast - if it hits your hands you have to catch it.

- 2nd half Oline was not bad at all. Lot of push and open holes. RB looked like they were averaging 4-5 per.

- on pass plays - Ron Thompson and Simmons were really disruptive.

hoopsupstate said:

I'll take 7-10.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom