Anyone that watched the Spring Game | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Anyone that watched the Spring Game

From my rewatch:

- about 3-4 of the passes were right in the hands and dropped (Mackys little brother in the end zone was one). As Gedney said during telecast - if it hits your hands you have to catch it.

- 2nd half Oline was not bad at all. Lot of push and open holes. RB looked like they were averaging 4-5 per.

- on pass plays - Ron Thompson and Simmons were really disruptive.

I'll have to watch 2nd half again. Thought I saw more than 3 - 4 dropped passes throughout the game. I've been known to be wrong before, especially when it concerns my sports teams.

You all do know that the defense had a pretty darn good idea of what plays the offense was running, right? Same goes with pass skeleton -- Oliver Vigilie was jumping pass routes for crying out loud.

I wouldn't put much stock into the game, good, bad, etc.

I'll take 7-10.

He also got sacked like 4 times in the game. He throws a pretty ball - but his decision making is not quick enough - yet. He seems to fold under pressure too.

TheCusian said:
He also got sacked like 4 times in the game. He throws a pretty ball - but his decision making is not quick enough - yet. He seems to fold under pressure too.

I was responding to the comment that he constantly misses wide open receivers.

You all do know that the defense had a pretty darn good idea of what plays the offense was running, right? Same goes with pass skeleton -- Oliver Vigilie was jumping pass routes for crying out loud.

I wouldn't put much stock into the game, good, bad, etc.
but we've all seen prior spring games with the same issue of the defense knowing what's coming and the offense has looked better. does this mean the defense will be a pleasant surprise? i'm not holding my breath. they lost a lot of guys.

This was a do not compete do not get hurt do not show anything do not double team on blocks let the defense have its way whoops drop the ball scrimmage. It was designed to have exactly this effect that we see in this forum and in football coaches office's in the ACC. This was not a vanilla scrimmage but spit out damn awful tasting crap of a scrimmage on purpose to elicit an oh my response. Good job team and coach Shafer. Mission accomplished.

This was a do not compete do not get hurt do not show anything do not double team on blocks let the defense have its way whoops drop the ball scrimmage. It was designed to have exactly this effect that we see in this forum and in football coaches office's in the ACC. This was not a vanilla scrimmage but spit out damn awful tasting crap of a scrimmage on purpose to elicit an oh my response. Good job team and coach Shafer. Mission accomplished.

Umm, what?

but we've all seen prior spring games with the same issue of the defense knowing what's coming and the offense has looked better. does this mean the defense will be a pleasant surprise? i'm not holding my breath. they lost a lot of guys.

Eh, this offense ran variations of 6-7 plays out of a handful of formations. We haven't run such a limited offense in spring game in a long, long, time.

I wouldn't put much thought into this game either way.

Millhouse said:

I think that's exactly it. I think the defense will be very good again.

rrlbees said:
I was responding to the comment that he constantly misses wide open receivers.

I misinterpreted. I thought "missing wide open reviewers" was in reference to his ability to read defenses and coverages, seeing the whole field, etc. And he's alright with a clean pocket (nice touch, good arm) - but really chaps the bed when things break down (ie missing open recievers).

The Buckeyes broke their own national spring game record by drawing 99,391 fans to Ohio Stadium on a gorgeous Saturday afternoon in which the Gray beating the Scarlet 17-14 seemed secondary to celebrating with the championship trophy, watching students challenge players to a footrace and getting a sneak peek at the upcoming quarterback battle with a halftime skills competition.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...ational-spring-game-record-drawing-99391-fans

I know Cuse can't offer a trophy but sure seems creative and fan friendly.

Looked like Wilson made a move and i don't if it was because Hunt's leg still may be bothering him enough to throw off the mechanics.

Hudson is going to be an excellent lock down corner and it will be hard to keep him off the field.

Scissum looks like he will be a very physical safety for us sooner than later.

The D-line could be scary good if what i saw saturday translate into ACC play. Raymon and Samuels are going to be monsters to move off the line for opposing O-Lines

Don't forget Slayton.

Impossible to tell anything definitive by the Spring game, but some general observations that stood out were:

The physical stature of our WR's. Enoicy, Custis, and even Ishmael are an intimidating trio. You don't find athleticism in guys the size of Enoicy and Custis. Then you have Ishmael, who has the height (looked a little more muscular), and is the more technical route runner with amazing hands. He could be a future pro. Dunk at TE also gives you that physical presence, and showed the ability to get open downf field. IF these guys are used properly we could have some of the best receiving weapons we have had in a long time.

That brings me to the next observation, and that was of Hunt. Maybe he is still a bit rusty, but he doesn't exactly has the reputation of being the most accurate guy in the world. Just way too many balls off target. Even in 1 on 0 passing drills he was missing the target.
Those 4 Enoicy, Custis, Ishmael, and Trey, if we can find a way to get them the ball downfield will give us an offense somewhat like 2012. Then if Ashton, and Erv can give us something in their new position we could be scary on offense. The biggest problem will be the offensive line, hopefully the youngsters win out, the retreads from last year weren't good in the Villanova game, and I hope most of them end up as backups.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom