Apathy? | Syracusefan.com

Apathy?

SWC75

Bored Historian
I tuned into the Manchild Show on 1260 and the whole first hour was nothing but a discussion of pro football and primarily fantasy football. I called in to discuss the game and noted that when I started listening to the show, (2009), Mondays after SU football or basketball games were 'guest-free' to make room for all the phone calls they would get discussing, (and arguing about), the game. I attributed this to the rise of fantasy football and of internet forums where much of this discussion takes place. Jim Lersh, (the 'Manchild') attributed this and the half-filled stands to fan apathy, which he, intern attributed to on the field mediocrity and the lack of openness in the program and the failure to market it properly. He said local media and fans used to have more access to practices, players and assistant coaches. there were more personal stories to tell that created interest. I mentioned Dr. Gross' attempts to brand SU as "New York State's college team". Are we still doing that?

I realize that we've lost part of the fanbase since the 80's and 90's but have we lost it since 2009?

I tuned into the Manchild Show on 1260 and the whole first hour was nothing but a discussion of pro football and primarily fantasy football. I called in to discuss the game and noted that when I started listening to the show, (2009), Mondays after SU football or basketball games were 'guest-free' to make room for all the phone calls they would get discussing, (and arguing about), the game. I attributed this to the rise of fantasy football and of internet forums where much of this discussion takes place. Jim Lersh, (the 'Manchild') attributed this and the half-filled stands to fan apathy, which he, intern attributed to on the field mediocrity and the lack of openness in the program and the failure to market it properly. He said local media and fans used to have more access to practices, players and assistant coaches. there were more personal stories to tell that created interest. I mentioned Dr. Gross' attempts to brand SU as "New York State's college team". Are we still doing that?

I realize that we've lost part of the fanbase since the 80's and 90's but have we lost it since 2009?
that station is still on the air?

Jim Lersh, (the 'Manchild') attributed this and the half-filled stands to fan apathy, which he, intern attributed to on the field mediocrity and the lack of openness in the program and the failure to market it properly. He said local media and fans used to have more access to practices, players and assistant coaches. there were more personal stories to tell that created interest.

If we went 10-2 every year, nobody would care if practices were closed.

You're probably both right. I've never felt as "in the dark" about a Syracuse team as I did leading into this season.

If we went 10-2 every year, nobody would care if practices were closed.
I get what you're saying and I don't think more access to practice is the biggest deal in the world, but we haven't had back-to-back 6-win seasons since 03-04. When you have a program that has been a bit inconsistent, you have to find a way to get more consistent (so we appear to be getting there on that front) and you may have to get a bit more conscious of community-engagement opportunities.

But, to be fair, I'm basically with you. I'm not sure it's the biggest deal. My issue with it is more about how largely pointless I believe it is to shut program off to the outside world. Everyone does it these days but it is completely absurd.

and we have 10x the information about the team than we did 20-30 yrs ago
eh, you really believe that? I really don't at least if we're talking about depth chart battles and S&C developments and that preseason stuff that i used to consume at an unhealthy level. Advanced metrics and social media make up some of that, but this place is almost entirely dead from Dec. to August.

I think it’s the typical New York pro only mindset. I’ve come to expect it at this point.

I agree we should get more access to assistant coaches. Letting the fanbase get to know these guys and their families would help us all feel part of the team. Idk why Dino is so tight with media availability for his staff. Maybe he saw someone say something dumb once that started a huge fire and he’s now gun shy? Idk but I think it’s. A mistake to keep these coaches who are surely good ambassadors of the program so hidden. I’d like to see that improve.

We do have more access to players than ever before. There were no podcasts and NIL tailgate messages for players to communicate directly with fans.

BUT the secrecy around injuries is just part of the competitive nature of big time college FB. There are jobs and millions of dollars on the line so these guys are going to leverage every single possible angle to get an advantage. It’s frustrating as a fan but I’m willing to live with it if coach thinks it will help us win.

eh, you really believe that? I really don't at least if we're talking about depth chart battles and S&C developments and that preseason stuff that i used to consume at an unhealthy level. Advanced metrics and social media make up some of that, but this place is almost entirely dead from Dec. to August.
in the 80s 90s you got a big paper issue about the week before the game. game to game stuff was about the same as now.

we also didnt have things like these boards for people to find out stuff you missed.

we had no depth chart to discuss until the day before a game, we didnt have press conferences to view online. thats all within like the last 10 yrs.

I’d wager that if you queried fans of every FBS team, nearly all would feel a little more “apathetic” about their team, or at least about Collefe Football in general. The exceptions would be the top handful of teams.

I'm a super loyal alum who has loved following everything Orange for the last 50 years. I'm starting to feel apathy toward college athletics in general. I even question if my SU love is dying in the midst of NIL, sudden mass transfers, season ticket donation requirements, conference raiding and all the things that have sucked the romance out of being a college fan. I can simply stick to pro sports if the colleges are going to become minor pro leagues.

1260 has become very bitter towards the University. Lerch still loves Cuse and is a good guy, but they are branding themselves locally as the "Pro" station. So its 90% NFL, NBA and MLB. They also have almost zero listeners. Their numbers are so dreadful I don't know how they stay on the air.

ESPN Syracuse is 90% cuse sports. Infanti and Pauly talk SU football all week long. And Higgins too.

I just listen to podcasts now...the amount of people actually listening to the radio to get their info on teams is pretty low. Just changing consumer behaviors
I absolutely love podcasts now as well. But if you're listening to zero of Infanti, Pauly, and Higgins each week on radio, you're missing huge amounts of cuse info. Unless, you're subscribed to the ESPN podcasts as well. Then you're golden. Now, that I think of it, I guess you can get it all from podcasts!

I absolutely love podcasts now as well. But if you're listening to zero of Infanti, Pauly, and Higgins each week on radio, you're missing huge amounts of cuse info. Unless, you're getting those from the podcasts as well. Then you're golden.
All my Cuse info comes from this board, I didn’t know there was anything else out there

I know some will get mad at this, but yes we have lost a lot of fans since 2009. Losing (and I know this year is good, last year had a fast start, and Dino's first year was good...but more losing than good in that time-frame) has run off a lot of people.

Before we went to "virtual tickets" in recent years where I work, during football season there were a pile of FREE tickets on a table in the common room area to each home game available to anyone who wanted them, I kid you not, nobody took them outside of maybe if FSU or Clemson was in town, then someone would take two...maybe. Now with virtual tickets, nobody even asks about the "free tickets" for football...lol. Nobody cares, nobody wants to go...FOR FREE!!

A generation of football fans in Syracuse has been lost. When you have a lot of 3 and 4 win seasons, then sprinkle in a 1 win season during that time span, your gonna chase away the "casual" fan.

Rack up three or four 8 and 9 win seasons and it will change. Until then...this is the new normal.

I agree we should get more access to assistant coaches. Letting the fanbase get to know these guys and their families would help us all feel part of the team. Idk why Dino is so tight with media availability for his staff. Maybe he saw someone say something dumb once that started a huge fire and he’s now gun shy? Idk but I think it’s. A mistake to keep these coaches who are surely good ambassadors of the program so hidden. I’d like to see that improve.

We do have more access to players than ever before. There were no podcasts and NIL tailgate messages for players to communicate directly with fans.

BUT the secrecy around injuries is just part of the competitive nature of big time college FB. There are jobs and millions of dollars on the line so these guys are going to leverage every single possible angle to get an advantage. It’s frustrating as a fan but I’m willing to live with it if coach thinks it will help us win.
I don’t get this at all. (Not demeaning it, just don’t get it.) As a society we have come to expect far too much access to people’s personal lives, as if we have some kind of right to know. We don’t. Same thing with practice and depth charts. If a coach wants that under wraps, okay. So what? It doesn’t impact how I consider the team. I wouldn’t root more or less for a team based upon the assistant coaches’ personal story.
I like to see SU play well and win. That’s it.

My personal opinion:

1. There's been a massive media landscape shift and people have access to a million different forums for conversations about this stuff.

2. With more information out there, it's also become apparent how ignorant a lot of these sports talk hosts were and are.

3. We haven't been even a long shot at the national title in 25 years.