Apathy? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Apathy?

We spend far too much time worrying about what other people do, or don't do, with their time.
Completely right.

I enjoy the games for what they are. I'm a psycho (unlike literally every one of my friends from SU) and come to this site for a bit more nuanced observation of the real stories. None of them do or care to. And I don't care one bit. I don't care if any fans care. The university is invested in football. That's all I need. We get subsidized checks from the ACC to keep this afloat for now. Life is good.

I do think the apathy stems from the fact that there is a 1-2% chance of SU ever sniffing a national title again. With no national title aspirations (or even Orange bowl BCS level games) within the grasp people really don't care. Again, I don't care that they don't care. I don't even really care. I just like watching the games for what they are. Ultimately they get bowl eligible that's a good thing for the program. I don't get jazzed up for a bowl game that no one plays in anymore. I just know the team itself sees it as a fun week of gift bags and media and social media buzz (which is what they all want anyway).

cost of tickets/tv to watch/go to games is pricing a ton of people out of sports.

Pricing of tickets for SU football isn't driving fans away. A family of four could get upper level endzone season tickets for $500 - that's roughly the same as what I paid in the 90s after I graduated. Syracuse has done a phenomenal job keeping tickets affordable.

What they have not done a phenomenal job of is consistently winning. Fans aren't choosing to watch on TV instead of go to the games - they are choosing to do something else entirely.

While your point overall is correct, and MLB/NHL/NBA/NFL have priced a lot of fans out of going to game and they'll watch on TV instead - it doesn't really apply in this specific case.

I don’t get this at all. (Not demeaning it, just don’t get it.) As a society we have come to expect far too much access to people’s personal lives, as if we have some kind of right to know. We don’t. Same thing with practice and depth charts. If a coach wants that under wraps, okay. So what? It doesn’t impact how I consider the team. I wouldn’t root more or less for a team based upon the assistant coaches’ personal story.
I like to see SU play well and win. That’s it.
A football team (let alone a college one) isn't life or death. If you open up the practices you build good-will with your fanbase. Every practice...no. But a couple...yes. Open them up. Then a grandfather or dad takes his kid to a game, and that's how you build a lifelong fan.

It's just smart business. Have some goodwill with the team and the community/fans. Again, this is football at the end of the day not life or death. Opening up a couple practices isn't going to cause SU to win or lose 1 more game at the end of the day. Hell, even NFL teams open up a handful of practices to the community/fans.

I tuned into the Manchild Show on 1260 and the whole first hour was nothing but a discussion of pro football and primarily fantasy football. I called in to discuss the game and noted that when I started listening to the show, (2009), Mondays after SU football or basketball games were 'guest-free' to make room for all the phone calls they would get discussing, (and arguing about), the game. I attributed this to the rise of fantasy football and of internet forums where much of this discussion takes place. Jim Lersh, (the 'Manchild') attributed this and the half-filled stands to fan apathy, which he, intern attributed to on the field mediocrity and the lack of openness in the program and the failure to market it properly. He said local media and fans used to have more access to practices, players and assistant coaches. there were more personal stories to tell that created interest. I mentioned Dr. Gross' attempts to brand SU as "New York State's college team". Are we still doing that?

I realize that we've lost part of the fanbase since the 80's and 90's but have we lost it since 2009?

I think we all need to recognize the real root of the problem. If Bees hadn't spilled the beans about Spotwood's injury, we'd still have access to practices and fans would still be showing up to the Dome in droves. Its all his fault.

I think we all need to recognize the real root of the problem. If Bees hadn't spilled the beans about Spotwood's injury, we'd still have access to practices and fans would still be showing up to the Dome in droves. Its all his fault.
No kidding, and I was most effected.

Pricing of tickets for SU football isn't driving fans away. A family of four could get upper level endzone season tickets for $500 - that's roughly the same as what I paid in the 90s after I graduated. Syracuse has done a phenomenal job keeping tickets affordable.

What they have not done a phenomenal job of is consistently winning. Fans aren't choosing to watch on TV instead of go to the games - they are choosing to do something else entirely.

While your point overall is correct, and MLB/NHL/NBA/NFL have priced a lot of fans out of going to game and they'll watch on TV instead - it doesn't really apply in this specific case.
I spent $125 per person for my first season tickets back in 1996 in section 125. That there are ANY seats in the Dome that can be purchased for roughly the same amount I paid 27 years ago is absolutely bonkers.

Can’t like this enough.

add money.

it’s a free country. You don’t owe anyone or any institution your loyalty, attention, time, or money.

Agreed. Who cares. I went to the Army game with a bunch of buddies and our kids. Had a great time enjoyed the game and the day. That's enough for me. Not going to worry about who is going who isn't etc. team is fun to watch and makes for an enjoyable Saturday for me and everyone else I went to the game with. Who cares about the rest.

No kidding, and I was most effected.
Me too.

It was the day the music died.

Closing practices was unfortunately inevitable. Bees just happened to be the one that dropped the straw that broke the camel's back.

I am patiently waiting for the first invisible drone. I will buy one and pilot it over the practice field and finally get the access I have been denied since TDTMD.

That is going to be a fine day!!!!

Me too.

Closing practices was unfortunately inevitable. Bees just happened to be the one that dropped the straw that broke the camel's back.

I am patiently waiting for the first invisible drone. I will buy one and pilot it over the practice field and finally get the access I have been denied since TDTMD.

Video of Dino shooting the drone down would be inevitable. But it probably wouldn't be Dino would be the S&C coach that seems to do a lot of Dino's dirty work

Me too.

I told him not to do it.

Video of Dino shooting the drone down would be inevitable. But it probably wouldn't be Dino would be the S&C coach that seems to do a lot of Dino's dirty work

Remember Jim McMahon mooning the reporter in a helicopter before Super Bowl XX? It was mostly treated as a hilarious stunt back then.

Consider how that same story would be handles now, and we have a very reasonable explanation as to why practices are closed. Minimizing access to teams to clearly defined and controlled events is the only way for teams to handle the modern environment.

Although to be fair - if a Syracuse coach gunned down a drone trying to spy on practice, I would still find that hilarious. Especially if there was video posted from the drone as it crashed, I'd play that on repeat until I had blisters on my finger.

The thing that gets me is that most reasonable people hope for a competitive product on the field with consistent bowl games and winning seasons, 6-7 wins etc. A goal that the University has consistently fell short of over the past 20 years. Some of these bufoons are still expecting to compete with some of these factory schools on a consistent basis, which to me is a freaking joke. Lets be reasonable here and again if it's not interesting to you than so be it.

I think the price point for end zone tickets is amazing. But people still complain to me. Then again single game tickets for Clemson are about the same as a season ticket alone.

still people want to go buy $12 craft beers and complain about $25 tickets for a game

Much like movies cost $10-15 and people complain about that too.

Food is expensive for a family at the dome. But thats a luxury, if its too much, eat before or after. I dont complain about $7 soda and popcorn at a movie because I dont really need it to enjoy a movie.

I get what you're saying and I don't think more access to practice is the biggest deal in the world, but we haven't had back-to-back 6-win seasons since 03-04. When you have a program that has been a bit inconsistent, you have to find a way to get more consistent (so we appear to be getting there on that front) and you may have to get a bit more conscious of community-engagement opportunities.

But, to be fair, I'm basically with you. I'm not sure it's the biggest deal. My issue with it is more about how largely pointless I believe it is to shut program off to the outside world. Everyone does it these days but it is completely absurd.
To be fair, we went 8-5 in 2012 and 7-6 in 2013. That was a long time ago, but not 20 years ago.

A football team (let alone a college one) isn't life or death. If you open up the practices you build good-will with your fanbase. Every practice...no. But a couple...yes. Open them up. Then a grandfather or dad takes his kid to a game, and that's how you build a lifelong fan.

It's just smart business. Have some goodwill with the team and the community/fans. Again, this is football at the end of the day not life or death. Opening up a couple practices isn't going to cause SU to win or lose 1 more game at the end of the day. Hell, even NFL teams open up a handful of practices to the community/fans.

I don't think that moves any needles. Sorry, no one cares that much other than the people that already care. It's catering to the fanbase that's already invested.

If you want to move the needle, you have more promotional nights. Fenway just had a barbie night (pathetic right?) and it brought in so many women to fenway on a random friday night with the sox out of it. That stuff brings casuals.

Winning will keep the place somewhat full. I just think college football has eaten itself so much that if you aren't in play for a major bowl the interest level of what you're actually playing for is minimal

Stern’s right. I’m a die hard. I found myself bored during the 1st half Saturday.

The games that interest me now are to 25 games. Our program is just mediocre to bad. And has been for 25 years.

Hope it changes.
Wait, We are basically top 25 right now! I’d rather watch Cuse vs. Wagner than Bama vs Georgia. Seriously. I’m nervous the definition of diehard is changing and no one alerted me. Lol

I think the price point for end zone tickets is amazing. But people still complain to me. Then again single game tickets for Clemson are about the same as a season ticket alone.

"Man is not a rational animal, he is a rationalizing animal." ― Robert A. Heinlein

The reality is that people complaining about the price of end zone tickets have no interest in going to a game. For whatever reasons they feel compelled to come up with a reason to hang their hat on other than "I don't want to go" - which is perfectly acceptable and has the advantage of being true. Why they settle on an absurd reason of high ticket prices is beyond me, although there is still a small element of truth in it. Since value is relative, and they have no interest in going to the game anyway - ANY monetary cost is, in fact, too high for them to pay.

I would prefer they be a little more honest and transparent though, and just admit they have no interest.

If SU can string together in a few bowl games, the mindset will change. With the addition of Micron and capacity dropping to 43,000, tickets are going to be hard to get. You better enjoy the current pricing because it’s going to go up, starting next year. Ten year ticket licensing is coming.

There is one good team on the home schedule this year. For the casual fan it isn't worth investing time, money, whatever to go see second tier schools.

I know...everybody schedules to get in a bowl game. I also know those practices get us closer to reaching football nirvana. I also know this is an event town and the schedule has no 'events" on it. The mindset is why the Harlem Globetrotters of baseball sell out in 5 minutes and the Mets games are a tomb.

I don't think that moves any needles. Sorry, no one cares that much other than the people that already care. It's catering to the fanbase that's already invested.

If you want to move the needle, you have more promotional nights. Fenway just had a barbie night (pathetic right?) and it brought in so many women to fenway on a random friday night with the sox out of it. That stuff brings casuals.

Winning will keep the place somewhat full. I just think college football has eaten itself so much that if you aren't in play for a major bowl the interest level of what you're actually playing for is minimal
So FanFest or Barbie Night? - Those fighting words bruh

I don’t get this at all. (Not demeaning it, just don’t get it.) As a society we have come to expect far too much access to people’s personal lives, as if we have some kind of right to know. We don’t. Same thing with practice and depth charts. If a coach wants that under wraps, okay. So what? It doesn’t impact how I consider the team. I wouldn’t root more or less for a team based upon the assistant coaches’ personal story.
I like to see SU play well and win. That’s it.
I think we’re in agreement but to clarify I am only talking about access to asst coaches via media interviews which Dino is very reluctant to grant.
I only mentioned their families bc sometimes you get someone like Jaime Beck who has willingly stepped into the Cuse FB convo on social.
I just think the more we hear interviews with Beck, Long and others the closer we as fans will feel to the team. If those guys don’t want to talk to the media that’s fine but why not let them do more interviews and give us fans more insight to the program?