April 2, 2016 Spring Game Thread | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

April 2, 2016 Spring Game Thread

Got a few minutes before tip off so here are a few quick tidbits.

Sat next to Carl Jones family, they made the trip from Ohio. Awesome people who are serious about their son being a STUDENT-athlete. Carl played offense until his senior year. Nick Monroe let out a string of positive expelexitives when he saw Carls end of the year tape at corner.

On the other side of us were the coaches wives. They seem to be a tight nit group. The Babers haved moved 15 times since they were married. Mrs Babers said the plan is for Syracuse to be the last stop. I told her the fans were glad they're here, we want to score points. She told me be patient the system really kicks in half way through year two.

The pace of the offense was awesome today. Other people have had good write ups of the individual players, so I will leave that alone. One cool thing is the running backs seem to call the blocking schemes to the offensive line. Watching all the coaches call in the assignments on offense is something else. It is so fast and well coordinated, you can see why Babers was nervous about adding two new coaches at once.

Exciting day, let's go Orange.

Last edited:
Great experience at the Dome yesterday. There was a good turnout; with many families in attendance, Great to have all the football alums; lead by Chandler Jones.
Having pics with players was very nice. Coach for the little guys by alums; outstanding idea. Enjoyed watching the kids interact with each other and the alums; could be a future gem or 2 in that group. At least become Orange fans!

The players seemed to be enjoying themselves. The staff is very organized and ran a very smooth first exposure to the general public.

Serious player development demonstrated, One good example, of this, is WR Alvin Cornelius, who totaled 6 receptions, all of last season (no TD's), Yet, yesterday 5 catches with 3TD's. Signs of good coaching going on. He was just one of many who showed of his talents on Saturday.

If you like offensive production, wow; 13TD.s and loads of yardage. Yet, there were many who distinguished themselves on D; Slayton & Clark, studs on the D; good looking LB play and DB's who showed good cover skills.
And all of this with Coach Babers intoning that we'd never see a pace this slow again.

dino-babers-ncaa-football-syracuse-dino-babers-press-conference-1-850x560.jpg

The Dino Babers era at Syracuse begins with a dynamic new approach and I am so excited!!!

Anyone catch the coaches make Alvin Cornelius run what looked like a penalty drill after the practice? He went the entire length of field, holding a ball, running 5 yards, dropping to ground getting up and doing it again under watchful eye of 2 coaches

It sounds like it was a penalty drill. In the first series, I think the second play, he caught the ball; he turned upfield. When he went down, he lost the ball. I think the officials ruled it a fumble.

I managed to catch the last half of the game on TW yesterday. Very impressed by the O. It was a thing of beauty. On D, it sounds like most of the impressive play was had earlier than I started watching. Corners looked solid, but aside from Cordy, I am VERY concerned about the safety position. I hope some (any?) of the incoming frosh can step up.

Anyone catch the coaches make Alvin Cornelius run what looked like a penalty drill after the practice? He went the entire length of field, holding a ball, running 5 yards, dropping to ground getting up and doing it again under watchful eye of 2 coaches
Yup I saw that. He fumbled the first catch of the game.

I managed to catch the last half of the game on TW yesterday. Very impressed by the O. It was a thing of beauty. On D, it sounds like most of the impressive play was had earlier than I started watching. Corners looked solid, but aside from Cordy, I am VERY concerned about the safety position. I hope some (any?) of the incoming frosh can step up.
I agree. We lack big time run stopping safeties. Cordy cant do it on his own. R Willams and Whitner seems a step or 2 slow on reads and breaks. Ellison looks instinctive and tough but lacks size.

Was staring at those helmets at the top of the board and was thinking about expectations.

- I don't think a bowl game is out of reach.
- our offense will be better than our defense (maybe the entirety of Baber's tenure) next year for sure. More weapons, more pieces that really fit, greater system, etc.
- so if we're outscoring teams, who will have the toughest time keeping up?
- teams with young and/or bad QB play (Tampa 2 will make life difficult for these types) (looking at you BC, Wake, and possibly NC State)
- teams that like defensive slogs (looking at you Addazzio)
- FSU will be a tough task no matter what. But they are still searching for QB play.
- Clemson will be really, really tough - but - they are replacing a lot of D talent.

Yes, but the opposite was true in the second half.

Mahoney did not play as well later in the scrimmage.

But he still seems to be a good fit for this offense.

The most striking aspect of yesterday's scrimmage for me was that in the context of 155 offensive plays there were very few mistakes - very few false start calls, very few motion penalties, very few illegal formation calls etc.

Don't get me wrong. There were mistakes and there were penalties - along with some turnovers.

But when one considers how many plays were run and how quickly they were run, there were very few mistakes - far, far less than I would have expected at this point in the process.

The team looks well-coached and well-disciplined.

It was all very impressive.

I was also struck by the number of recruits in the Dome yesterday. I have never seen that many before for a given event.

And, I have never seen an individual player on an SU Football team draw as much fan attention and adoration as Dungey did yesterday.

There was a line of kids and adults waiting to meet Eric that began at I think the 15 yard line and stretched to the opposite 20 yard line. And the line never seemed to get any shorter.

The SU fan base clearly loves this kid and clearly is looking for an SU Football hero.

I think the same is true with Coach Babers. The fans showed him the same kind of attention yesterday - I have never seen a coach draw that kind of fan reaction. His line was just as long as Eric's line.

So, it seems that a lot of folks are excited about Syracuse Football and that's a good thing.

Last edited:

Guide says TWC Sports will also replay Syracuse football's spring game tomorrow night at 7 p.m. Guess we can only wait and see.

There an element of joy with the players yesterday that I have never seen before on The Hill.

There was a great deal of rejoicing on every score and it was a team thing - very noticeable.

I wonder if that has to do with the relative youth of our coaching staff. Aside from Babers, most of our coaches are young and may welcome the celebrations.

Did you catch him doing push-ups after each dropped pass on the sidelines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom