"Arizona is the definitive #1 team in the nation" | Syracusefan.com

"Arizona is the definitive #1 team in the nation"

No problem with that sentiment. Obviously I would like the Orange to be considered that this season, but I can't argue Arizona being called that either, especially considering they won @ at couple of tough venues (SDSU and Michigan) and beat Duke @ it's semi-home MSG.

Cheers,
Neil

No problem with that sentiment. Obviously I would like the Orange to be considered that this season, but I can't argue Arizona being called that either, especially considering they won @ at couple of tough venues (SDSU and Michigan) and beat Duke @ it's semi-home MSG.

Cheers,
Neil
Duke sucks though .

Wins @SDSU, @Michigan, @UCLA and Duke

They have everything you want in a team

It's the @ that makes it (although @UCLA isn't a tough venue to win in, but beating Duke @MSG is).

I actually think our wins are better overall since Nova > than SDSU and Baylor far outdistances any of Zona's other wins. Even Cal, Minny, and UNC equal the UCLA and Michigan wins. Unfortunately, none of them were @ wins.

Cheers,
Neil

Duke sucks though .

I was more focused on where the games were played. While you were posting this, I was in the midst of typing the post about our wins actually being better overall in terms of quality of teams. But @ does make a difference since it's tough to win on the road or semi-road games, like our games @Nova at Wells Fargo.

Cheers,
Neil

As I said on another post, I am perfectly happy sitting in #2 for now. I think by the numbers we should be above them, and we have a tougher schedule overall. But they will sit above us as long as we both keep winning, and that is how it is. I think we are in a very good, and comfortable position for now. The target on our backs is just slightly smaller.

I want that #1 spot. I don't think being #1 at the end of the season is "all that matters". Being #1 for however long you have it elevates your program in the eyes of fans, media and recruits.

Being in the top 5 all the time is pretty awesome too but it doesn't carry anywhere near the attention #1 does. Just like how, on an infinitely larger scale, garnering Final 4 banners is a huge program boost but in no way carries the prestige of National Champion.

No problem with Zona being #1 but they are NOT "definitive" #1. We have as much of an argument to that spot as they do.

Why do people get upset by this stuff? If the cats lose tonight (they won't) they'll no longer be the definitive no. 1. It's dynamic.

AZOrange said:
Why do people get upset by this stuff? If the cats lose tonight (they won't) they'll no longer be the definitive no. 1. It's dynamic.

I agree. They deserve it and until they lose they will continue to deserve it. Hard to argue we should be ahead of them.

I'd probably be more upset if I thought Davis knew the definition of the word "definitive" - as it is I think he's looking for the word "consensus" and isn't smart enough to know the difference.

It's not just football guys that are meatheads - most hoops guys are meatheads, too.

I'd probably be more upset if I thought Davis knew the definition of the word "definitive" - as it is I think he's looking for the word "consensus" and isn't smart enough to know the difference.

It's not just football guys that are meatheads - most hoops guys are meatheads, too.

I think Seth would be honored to be called a meathead. It's like a geek fantasy.

I agree. They deserve it and until they lose they will continue to deserve it. Hard to argue we should be ahead of them.

Wisconsin. Arizona has one win against teams currently in top 25 and they are dropping like a rock. Wisconsin just beat two ranked teams in three days (including #11 Florida earlier in the year) with the top RPI.

Can you please split this post into two, so I can *like* it twice? :D

On paper Arizona deserves the #1 IMO - its quality win portfolio of at UCLA, at San Diego St, at Michigan, Neutral Duke is better than Syracuse or Wisconsin. People tend to undervalue quality road wins.

But they are not definitive #1 - to me that means they would clearly be the top team on the court against anyone. And that is not the case.

We are going to have to overtake them via a Zona loss. In terms of the ACC schedule, our 5 toughest road games are in the last 8 games of the season.

As an aside, one UConn crackhead fan said that we would be unprepared for the tourney due to the weak ACC. Sure our first 10 games of the ACC may not be great preparation. But playing at Duke, at Virginia, at Pitt, at Florida St, and at Maryland in our final 8 games, plus the ACC tourney, will get us more than adequately road tested and having to play our best basketball at season end.

They deserve it for now. Haven't tripped up yet and have some really good wins plus they started ranked in front of us.
Plus they are not our competition for the #1 seed in the East. I hope they go undefeated. We are just fine being #2. We just need to keep taking care of business and let everyone else stumble.

I have watched zona play some putrid basketball, I have watched us do it once or twice also.

They would make a good game for us, they have a 7 footer who can shoot a hook and alot of beef in the paint and a solid backcourt. They can be slow at times, and our zone could give them lots of fits because they depend on scoring inside ALOT. When you have to look to score inside as a second option its not their game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom