Ashton Broyld | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Ashton Broyld

I'm sure it doesn't feel much better.

Perfect for a good spread option attack.

vatech1.jpg

I had lunch with a Syracuse assistant coach two weeks ago. Without going into detail, Marrone really really likes Broyld and thinks he is the one QB on the roster who has the chance to be a special player. In fact, in the event Syracuse does go back to the wildcat package next season, consideration will be given to whether Broyld should be the quarterback running it (recognizing of course that Broyld is very raw).

I'm surprised nobody else commented on this. From the standpoint of the original post, seems like confirmation.

I had lunch with a Syracuse assistant coach two weeks ago. Without going into detail, Marrone really really likes Broyld and thinks he is the one QB on the roster who has the chance to be a special player. In fact, in the event Syracuse does go back to the wildcat package next season, consideration will be given to whether Broyld should be the quarterback running it (recognizing of course that Broyld is very raw).

Hooray! I hope we mix things up with Broyld next season.

Like I said in another post. Ashton told me personally that the other QB's are in awh with his skill set during the workouts. I still think he has a ways to go to be mentally prepared to play. But if Marrone and company thinks he's the future QB you probably wont see him this year. If you do see him on the field ( burning his redshirt) that means he will eventually get switched somewhere else so he can make an impact still. Ashton will not be a WR. I see he possibly playing TE, but more likely playing LB or DE. Dont under estimate this kid. He is a competitior. I known him since he was 12. If he can improve his mechanics and decision making. He will be a stud at the QB position. At the same time I do respect Hunt's ability and character.

What? We didn't recruit him out of Milford. Goofy post.
I know we recruited him out of high school and sent him to Milford. I was asking if there was a precedent to this with a QB. QB is the most mental position on the field, so if the kid has trouble qualifying academically then how does that hurt his chances at understanding a complex offense?

I know we recruited him out of high school and sent him to Milford. I was asking if there was a precedent to this with a QB. QB is the most mental position on the field, so if the kid has trouble qualifying academically then how does that hurt his chances at understanding a complex offense?

I don't think there're any questions about him having to grasp the entire offense. They could introduce packages that allow us to take advantage of his physical skills without requiring a mastery of the whole system.

Didn't RJ Anderson attend Milford Prep when it was really in Milford before it moved to NY? I think he played TE there.

"Broyld steps back...finds Hunt over the middle...touchdown!" - Announcers in 2 years. ;)

I don't think the kid's ability to master Organic Chemistry or European History is an indication of his QB skills.

Christ, you're on a roll lately. Michael Bishop couldn't even spell Michael Bishop. Vince Young scored a reported 4 on the wonderlic. Dante Culpepper didn't qualify out of high school. I don't think Tyrell Prior will be practicing medicine after his career is over. Former Ball St star and Niners QB Nate Davis is dyslexic.

My guess was your post was another dig at Marrone's recruiting rather than an genuine inquiry into Broyld's ability to grasp the playbook.

Christ, you're on a roll lately. Michael Bishop couldn't even spell Michael Bishop. Vince Young scored a reported 4 on the wonderlic. Dante Culpepper didn't qualify out of high school. I don't think Tyrell Prior will be practicing medicine after his career is over. Former Ball St star and Niners QB Nate Davis is dyslexic.

My guess was your post was another dig at Marrone's recruiting rather than an genuine inquiry into Broyld's ability to grasp the playbook.

Are you insinuating Kansas State doesn't have rigorous criteria for admission? J/k

When have I taken digs at Marrone's recruiting? I have praised the staff for Morris, Hunt, Lynch, Reddish, etc. I have been one of the few on here that rarely questions HCDM. Fact, Young qualified for Texas (which is tougher to get into than SU is, so obviously Young was judged to being able to handle the academic load; Broyld wasn't. Young didn't have maturity problems to the point he exposed himself over a basketball game, thousands of QBs with his talent never did that. I don't doubt his physical abilities one bit. But QB is a cerebral position first and foremost, and he has already had a few issues in that area. So yes, I do wonder whether he will be mentally mature enough to take in the offense. I think many people are blinded so much by his physical abilities that they forget about the issues he shown he has with maturity and mentality.

Terrelle Pryor and Vince Young also had completely superior talent around them then we have which makes playing the position a heck of a lot easier. So why don't you get off your high horse and realize that someone might disagree with your opinions and be civilized about it.

When have I taken digs at Marrone's recruiting? I have praised the staff for Morris, Hunt, Lynch, Reddish, etc. I have been one of the few on here that rarely questions HCDM. Fact, Young qualified for Texas (which is tougher to get into than SU is, so obviously Young was judged to being able to handle the academic load; Broyld wasn't. Young didn't have maturity problems to the point he exposed himself over a basketball game, thousands of QBs with his talent never did that. I don't doubt his physical abilities one bit. But QB is a cerebral position first and foremost, and he has already had a few issues in that area. So yes, I do wonder whether he will be mentally mature enough to take in the offense. I think many people are blinded so much by his physical abilities that they forget about the issues he shown he has with maturity and mentality.

Terrelle Pryor and Vince Young also had completely superior talent around them then we have which makes playing the position a heck of a lot easier. So why don't you get off your high horse and realize that someone might disagree with your opinions and be civilized about it.

Do you honestly think that Texas has a more difficult admissions process and class load for their football players than we do at Syracuse?

I know that Ohio State and Texas are both tougher schools to get into than SU. You have to be in the top 10% of your graduating class to get into Texas, and if you aren't then you might as well start looking elsewhere. Unless the athletic departments are circumventing the admissions departments then yes they are both much more difficult to get into.
SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY

59.1%
THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT AUSTIN

51.2%

The first number is how many apply, the second is how many that are accepted, and the third is the acceptance rate. This is the data for 2011 and before the economic downturn in 2009 Texas averaged about 30,000 applicants while accepting roughly 12,000. That would encompass Vince Young in there, and that acceptance rate hovered around 41-44 %. The average SAT at Texas is around 2100.

Before the economic downturn for SU, average of 22,000 applicants while taking roughly 11,500 for an acceptance rate around 50-54 %. The average SAT for accepted students, 1900. So not only did Texas accept less students, but they also had higher marks on the SAT. Based on the facts...yes, I believe Texas is harder to get into Syracuse. Along the lines of course load who knows. My guess is that the kids that aren't that smart take easy classes no matter where they go. My original complaint, that you twisted, was that Broyld has baggage. It is impossible to sit there and say he is going to be everything we wish for based on high school and a year at Milford where the competition was far inferior and required him to use his brain a whole lot less than he has to at this level.
Vince Young and Terrelle Pryor were also just physical freaks and let's be honest, Pryor sucked. Never once did he meet expectations, why? Because mentally he wasn't mature enough to handle the position. Same thing with Vince Young, and to compare Broyld to that talent level, a guy that is probably the best athlete to ever play QB in college, is absolutely ludicrous.

I know that Ohio State and Texas are both tougher schools to get into than SU. You have to be in the top 10% of your graduating class to get into Texas, and if you aren't then you might as well start looking elsewhere. Unless the athletic departments are circumventing the admissions departments then yes they are both much more difficult to get into.
SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY

59.1%
THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT AUSTIN

51.2%

The first number is how many apply, the second is how many that are accepted, and the third is the acceptance rate. This is the data for 2011 and before the economic downturn in 2009 Texas averaged about 30,000 applicants while accepting roughly 12,000. That would encompass Vince Young in there, and that acceptance rate hovered around 41-44 %. The average SAT at Texas is around 2100.

Before the economic downturn for SU, average of 22,000 applicants while taking roughly 11,500 for an acceptance rate around 50-54 %. The average SAT for accepted students, 1900. So not only did Texas accept less students, but they also had higher marks on the SAT. Based on the facts...yes, I believe Texas is harder to get into Syracuse. Along the lines of course load who knows. My guess is that the kids that aren't that smart take easy classes no matter where they go. My original complaint, that you twisted, was that Broyld has baggage. It is impossible to sit there and say he is going to be everything we wish for based on high school and a year at Milford where the competition was far inferior and required him to use his brain a whole lot less than he has to at this level.
Vince Young and Terrelle Pryor were also just physical freaks and let's be honest, Pryor sucked. Never once did he meet expectations, why? Because mentally he wasn't mature enough to handle the position. Same thing with Vince Young, and to compare Broyld to that talent level, a guy that is probably the best athlete to ever play QB in college, is absolutely ludicrous.

If you honestly believe that Vince Young or any Texas football player is subjected to the same admission standards as the rest of the student body...there are no words...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4781264

This link discusses admissions standards for athletes at the end of 2009. Texas football players typically scored lower on SATs than other students accepted, but "Texas was one of seven schools that reported no use of special admissions, instead describing 'holistic' standards that consider each applicant individually rather than relying on minimum test scores and grade-point averages." It has been documented that Texas weighs most of their admissions criteria on class rank. Obviously, if the kid is close then they will gain acceptance, but they are not going to allow a kid in that is not qualified compared to other fringe candidates for acceptance. I am willing to bet their lee-way is no more than SU's.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4781264

This link discusses admissions standards for athletes at the end of 2009. Texas football players typically scored lower on SATs than other students accepted, but "Texas was one of seven schools that reported no use of special admissions, instead describing 'holistic' standards that consider each applicant individually rather than relying on minimum test scores and grade-point averages." It has been documented that Texas weighs most of their admissions criteria on class rank. Obviously, if the kid is close then they will gain acceptance, but they are not going to allow a kid in that is not qualified compared to other fringe candidates for acceptance. I am willing to bet their lee-way is no more than SU's.

As someone who works in Higher Education, I can tell you those numbers are skewed. Those "holistic" standards is cryptic bullshit that says, if you don't have the scores that our average student has, we will accept you based on your "community service", "committment to leadership", or "potential to become a productive member of society after graduation". Admissions looks the other way for athletes all the time, if you don't believe that, you're naive.

As someone who works in Higher Education, I can tell you those numbers are skewed. Those "holistic" standards is cryptic bullshit that says, if you don't have the scores that our average student has, we will accept you based on your "community service", "committment to leadership", or "potential to become a productive member of society after graduation". Admissions looks the other way for athletes all the time, if you don't believe that, you're naive.
Understood, so generally all schools are the same when it comes to the admissions process for athletes. Already knew that. Back to the main point, is anyone else worried about Broyld's mentality with the issues he's had, and how that will translate to his ability to play QB at this level?

I'm more worried about his throwing ability than anything else. His motion, while improved over the last few years, has still a bit of a "push" to it. I'm not worried his ability to grasp a playbook. That's more perception than anything else. The young man has made a few mistakes, but has come a long, long way in the last 5 years. His natural ability can more than make up for anything else.

If you're worried about grasping a playbook, you might as well start making posts about Coker and Kinder.

These type of posts on Broyld are Californication at its best.. WOW. The kid is NOWHERE near ready to start or play serious minutes other than a run first package next year. Have we learned nothing about putting unrealistic expectations on a true frosh qb, I get it Nassib isn't very good but he is still the best chance we have at WINNING next year and Marrone needs to win NEXT year.

Sure he could play Hunt and after 2 games people would be screaming at how bad he sucks too... We need to give the young guys time, There isn't a qb on the roster that dooesn't need 1-2 years bedore they are ready.

I would imagine you will see one used as Nassib was with Paulus.. who that will be we don't know. I would not rule our Hunt either. 4/5 NYS recruits are very very raw, they need time. Unless they are skill guys with exceptional speed or talent, like a Mike Hart, Ray Rice, M Will, etc etc

Tyrell Pryor threw for over 6,000 yards and close to 60 TD's in 3 seasons, one of which he split snaps. He also ran for 2100 yards and another 17 scores. I'd take that kind of "suck" here any day. I'm not sure what you are inferring about Young, because he certainly didn't suck as a collegiate QB, and won almost every major award except for the Heisman his Jr year.

As for athletic ability, I'd say Vick, McNabb, Bishop, Pat White, Tommie Frazier, Charlie Ward, Shoelace Robinson, Randle El, and Brad Smith would have a say in that. And I'm going on the record and saying Broyld is every bit the athlete most those guys are: time will tell if he is the QB they were. They are two different things.

These type of posts on Broyld are Californication at its best.. WOW. The kid is NOWHERE near ready to start or play serious minutes other than a run first package next year. Have we learned nothing about putting unrealistic expectations on a true frosh qb, I get it Nassib isn't very good but he is still the best chance we have at WINNING next year and Marrone needs to win NEXT year.

Sure he could play Hunt and after 2 games people would be screaming at how bad he sucks too... We need to give the young guys time, There isn't a qb on the roster that dooesn't need 1-2 years bedore they are ready.

I would imagine you will see one used as Nassib was with Paulus.. who that will be we don't know. I would not rule our Hunt either

Your last line is the most realistic expectation for 2012.

As far as unrealistic expectations for a backup QB to come in and save the day, that's pretty much been an SU staple since 1999. Don't take it away, it's the only hope people have left.

One day I hope that the raw QB who can't pass just gets on the field and makes plays like McNabb did in 1995. Anyone who attended the preseason practices (as I did) could see that he couldn't hit water from a boat. But come gameday... Granted he wasn't a great passer as a freshman, but extended plays with his legs and WRs kept working downfield. Better chance of that ever happening again from a QB who redshirted (as McNabb did), rather than one who plays as a true freshman, even with a spring (like Joe Fields did).

IMHO, there is only one QB we have recruited in the last 17 years who has athletic ability like McNabb did. Ashton Broyld. I am really high on his athletic ability. The guy is special.

Forget about athletic ability. The thing I like most about Broyld is his great leadership ability and fire. He is extremely competitive, hates to lose, is extremely driven. If you have ever seen him play in a football or basketball game, you can't miss it. That kind of fire can be great when used in constructive ways or can be disasterous when used in negative ways. We have seen evidence of both types of results from him in the past.

When you combine great athletic ability with an extraordinary competitive nature, you have the potential for greatness.

I don't know what is going to happen with Ashton. I think he is either going to have a really great career at Syracuse or a really bad one. I don't think mediocre is an option for him.

I love it. These are good debates to have especially when there is nothing going on in recruiting, or no spring ball. Bottom line, Nassib gives us the best chance to win next year. We do need some curve balls to throw at teams to sustain drives and score touchdowns in the redzone. Hunt and Broyld could have some packages. I dont think kinder is as physically gifted has them for the run/pass option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom