Ask a Gopher Fan (and receive legit responses) | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Ask a Gopher Fan (and receive legit responses)

I'm genuinely interested to know why Minnesota fans would have a superiority complex in any respect when they have been a speed bump for the Big Ten for decades.

As a Syracuse and Michigan man, I'm amazed. This is the same Minnesota program that has lost to North Dakota State and South Dakota in its the last few years.
Read the thread and you'll see I've already responded to those statements. Or don't read and Keep trolling. Up to you

Oleboy41 said:
Read the thread and you'll see I've already responded to those statements. Or don't read and Keep trolling. Up to you

He's too busy to read, he's talking to his sources about Oklahoma's impending move to the B1G.

Imperial, I will take a crack at your question. Next year's schedule is pretty brutal with a trip to TCU looming early in the NC and OSU coming back on the schedule. I would say 8-9 wins is the ceiling, anything beyond that would be a big surprise. 6 wins or less and I would be pretty disappointed. The B1G feels pretty unstable and unpredictable right now outside of the usual 2 or 3 teams. (OSU, Wisky, maybe MSU) Then you have teams like us and IU who seem to be trending in the right direction. Penn State had a quietly decent year. Michigan, Nebraska, NW might be trending the wrong way. Possible coaching changes with Illinois and Purdue in the near future? Then you throw in the new teams. Lot's of potential movers and uncertainty in my opinion.

We lose one regular senior starter on the offensive and defensive lines combined next year. (Hageman) In total we'll lose 5 regular starters this season (4 on defense, 1 on offense) so I don't expect much of a drop off in overall record.

I get that your response is that you're saying that you would have liked an opponent more challenging, but as a Minnesota fan, you should know well that any opponent is challenging. I know you're trying to be diplomatic and come in peace, but I still think your fanbase has an incredibly overinflated sense of its self-worth.

So you guys scheduled down OOC and then complain that your bowl opponent isn't a "name brand" that you can lift your profile?

Wait! It's coming to me... Schedule those teams OOC!
I get that your response is that you're saying that you would have liked an opponent more challenging, but as a Minnesota fan, you should know well that any opponent is challenging. I know you're trying to be diplomatic and come in peace, but I still think your fanbase has an incredibly overinflated sense of its self-worth.

No offense but fans of helmet schools tend to act like it's an affront to their sensibilities when non helmet school fans dare to have expectations beyond being your whipping boys. You're the types of fans that say MN was dumb for firing Glen Mason because it's rediculous that we aim for something better than yearly 2-6 conference records. So thanks for your opinion but we'll have to agree to disagree

TheCusian said:
So you guys scheduled down OOC and then complain that your bowl opponent isn't a "name brand" that you can lift your profile? Wait! It's coming to me... Schedule those teams OOC!

Fans are complaining, and only the uneducated ones. Not jerry kill, not the AD. I brought up the schedule in response to someone saying we only have 8 wins because we scheduled cupcakes. If you look at the actual schedules of our two teams, they are very similar, MN just took care of business in the winnable games.

I'd say the lack of understanding more than anything else. You definitely won't see 'self importance' as more prevalent in the MN fan base than others. If anything the MN fan base is self loathing and constantly cringing for then inevitable nut kick. As for lack of perspective show me a fan base that doesn't suffer from that and that'll be the first I've encountered. As for the rest of what you said I basically covered it already. You can cherry pick some tweets from a few random rubes and local media idiots from any fan base every week of the year. I think it was perfectly reasonable to be disappointed to play in the same bowl despite improving your win total by 2 (especially your in conference win total). However most MN fans didn't realize that last year with OSU and PSU ineligible for bowls everyone got bumped up a few spots so had those 2 been eligible last year we likely wouldn't have even been in the Texas bowl last year (wasn't call that then but still). Plus almost all fans fully understood that it was very possible that we'd get jumped by the likes of Michigan, Nebraska and Iowa because of ratings and travel but that doesn't mean folks won't be disappointed by it, especially if you're getting your feel for the fanbase by Twitter and message boards, 2 mediums tailor made for emotional reactions. Every fan base has its rational, reasonable fans, its negative sky is falling fans, and its over the top homer fans. I wouldn't take the words of the few and extrapolate that to the entire fan base. Shoot I know you guys have been checking out Gopherhole and while it has its decent qualities I know plenty of MN fans that refuse to read GH because of the amount of irrational posts over there. Still at the end of the day if next year Cuse has a better year, goes 8-4 and ends up again in the Texas bowl against a 6-6 Illinois team, how excited do you think you'd be? Personally I'm just happy we're in a bowl game against a BCS conference team with a pulse.
Amen. You and me both. SU lost a TON of cred during the GRob years. It will take some time to build it back up. Minn. is a fine opponent, and this should be a good game. Two power teams standing toe to toe should be interesting. If nothing else, that's how football should be played. I look forward to the game, and love the idea of playing an 8-4 team from the B1G.

This thread started on a friendly, non-threatening level and should be maintained at that level.

As to the stature of the programs, both have been mediocre or worse for some time now and are trying to regain past glories. We are 6-6 vs. but played a better non-conference schedule. On the other had we played several bad conference teams and a couple of top ten teams. The Big Ten has had better years but the Golden Gophers seem to have played most of the best teams in it and have done it competitively. We've had four bad blow-out losses. Historically, people who don't think Minnesota has had a strong history need to google Dr. Henry Williams, Bernie Bierman and Murray Warmath. They won AP titled in 1936, 1940 and 1941 and then won another in 1960, the year after our only title. They were also generally regarded as national champs in 1934 and 1935. Weigh that against our one title.

The OP gave a good breakdown of the current Minnesota team. I think someone should return the favor.

Offensively, we attempted to replace Ryan Nassib with Drew Allen, a transfer from Oklahoma who was a surprising flop. He was too mechanical and had problems reading defenses, resulting in too many turnovers. Terrell Hunt, a New York kid, took over and put up good numbers against lesser teams, (although Tulane turned out to be pretty good). He struggled mightily through most of the ACC schedule. He's a good runner but wasn't a very accurate passer beyond 5 yards past the line of scrimmage. He wasn't helped by a mediocre receiving corps that had trouble getting any kind of separation form defenders. Towards the end of the season we started playing some our younger receivers and Hunt seemed to mature and we suddenly had a passing game. In the final game against Boston College, Hunt passed for 270 yards and 2TDs and our offense produced 480 yards and 34 points. His leading receiver is Ashton Broyld, a converted quarterback who averaged only 8.6 yards per catch and didn't score all year. But you might hear the names Brisley Estime, ("Esteem"), Alvin Cornelius and Quinta Funderburke. Those are the younger guys who seemed to be much better than the receivers Hunt had had to throw to earlier in the year.

We are proud of our running game. Jerome Smith is a 6-0, 226 "downhill" runner who has the speed to go the distance when he gets into the secondary. Prince Tyson Gulley, who ran for 213 yards in the Pinstripe Bowl vs. West Virginia last year is hurt: I don't know if he'll play or not. But his back-ups, George Morris and Devonte McFarlane have shown both talent and speed. We have a good line but Sean Hickey, perhaps our best lineman, has been nursing an ankle injury. He tried to play vs. Boston College but had to leave the game.

Scott Shafer is a defensive coach by trade and was know for aggressive schemes designed to break up plays before they started. He and his new DC, Chuck Bullough abandoned that approach vs. Georgia Tech's triple option and Florida States NFL talent with disastrous results. Early in the season, the defensive backfield, which was expected to be a strength, was hanging back in loose zones and getting picked apart. That was the big reason for the one-sided losses to Northwestern and Clemson, (that and the quality of the opponent). Shafer and Bullough tightened up the D-backfield and no one has burned us back there down the stretch except the Seminoles, who are torching everybody. We have the strange looking defensive record of giving up 48 for more points four times and yet having two shut-outs and another game where Maryland managed only a field goal. When we keep the pressure on up front and play things tight in the backfield, we are a pretty good defensive team. I think we will do that in the bowl game.

Jay Bromley is one of the best defensive tackles in the country, although we have gotten kind of thin at that spot due to injuries. We were unsure of what we had at defensive end going into the year but Robert Welch and Micah Robinson have done a good job and their back-ups, Isaiah Johnson and Ron Thompson may turnout to be better than they are. But both are coming off late season injuries. We've got an excellent set of linebackers in Marquis Spruill, Dyshawn Davis and Cameron Lynch. Durrell Eskridge has had a strong eyar at safety. In the backfield we had the same story as the receivers: we had to replace some people and some of the younger guys looked better than the guys they replaced, especially Brandon Reddish and Wayne Morgan.

Our starting placekicker, Ross Krautman got hurt and was replaced by Ryan Norton, our kick-off guy, who has been inconsistent at best. Riley Dixon has been a good and versatile punter, who can boom it or place it, depending on the situation. We haven't seen a whiff of the end zone on a kick return all year.

We are a decent team that is getting better, despite being a little banged up, (as most teams are this time of year). I think we will be a better team next year and I'm hoping this bowl will provide a preview. Syracuse has a very good bowl record over the years, 14-9-1 after a 2-5 start in the Schwartzwalder Era. Minnesota is 5-10.

Remember, at the very end of that one song, it would.. the song goes, "And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"? You.. you remember that? Uh.. is that true?

No offense but fans of helmet schools tend to act like it's an affront to their sensibilities when non helmet school fans dare to have expectations beyond being your whipping boys. You're the types of fans that say MN was dumb for firing Glen Mason because it's rediculous that we aim for something better than yearly 2-6 conference records. So thanks for your opinion but we'll have to agree to disagree
So what is a "helmet school"? Do you ride to games on short buses?

Let's interject some more fun facts into this discussion, this time from the B1G's own writer:

THREE REASONS TO BE WORRIED

1. Minnesota lacks offensive balance. The Gophers have struggled to pass in 2013, ranking No. 118 in the FBS. If Syracuse is able to commit to stopping Minnesota’s ground, the Gophers offense could get stuck in the mud. Bottom line: If Philip Nelson throws more than 30 passes, the Gophers may be in trouble.

2. No momentum. The Gophers finished the season with consecutive losses, falling at home to Wisconsin and losing at Michigan State. The momentum of that 8-2 beginning may have dissipated. And this is a team that seemed to be fueled by emotion as much as any in the league, as Minnesota isn’t the most talented squad.

3. The offense is in a funk. Minnesota hasn’t scored an offensive touchdown in 10 quarters, last hitting pay dirt in the second quarter vs. Penn State on Nov. 9. The team’s lone TD since then came on defense vs. Wisconsin. Minnesota’s attack is No. 11 in the Big Ten overall (342.8 ypg). If the Gophers get behind, they could have issues mounting a comeback. Minnesota’s offense needs to taste the end zone early get some mojo.

I hadn't seen that you guys haven't scored in 10 quarters!

So you guys scheduled down OOC and then complain that your bowl opponent isn't a "name brand" that you can lift your profile?

Wait! It's coming to me... Schedule those teams OOC!

Michigan had a worse overall record and a worse conference record yet got the "better" bowl. That's what annoys me as a gopher fan.

Let's interject some more fun facts into this discussion, this time from the B1G's own writer:

I hadn't seen that you guys haven't scored in 10 quarters!

We have scored. We haven't scored an offensive touchdown.

tdorf84 said:
Michigan had a worse overall record and a worse conference record yet got the "better" bowl. That's what annoys me as a gopher fan.

No argument here. We've been screwed in the past in a similar manner.

My prediction is a Gopher win. I think we play a clean game and win the turnover battle. It looks like Cuse gets penalized quite a bit and that could be a huge factor. Talent wise we aren't good enough to beat solid teams without playing a clean game. I think the team is finally buying into Kill's system and they have a confidence to them. The talent levels are probably pretty close, but I view Minnesota as more of a "polished" product right now, and I think that will come through in this game.

We royally ****ed up against Pitt and we should've beaten Penn State for a multitude of reasons.
I think particularly having that Pitt game after how banged up the team was following the trip to Flordia State the week before is of interest. Half the guys on our team went to the turf at one point or another against FSU. They looked totally different against BC a week later, and frankly I think BC is better than Pitt since if we could make an XP or a Field Goal in the Pitt game is a relatively assured win even banged up.

tdorf84 said:
My prediction is a Gopher win. I think we play a clean game and win the turnover battle. It looks like Cuse gets penalized quite a bit and that could be a huge factor. Talent wise we aren't good enough to beat solid teams without playing a clean game. I think the team is finally buying into Kill's system and they have a confidence to them. The talent levels are probably pretty close, but I view Minnesota as more of a "polished" product right now, and I think that will come through in this game.

If you can't pass, you won't win this game. Shafer states up front that his game plan is to stop the run and then harass the QB into mistakes. If you average 2-3 yards on the ground, it will be lights out.

Our O is not all running as I've seen stated all over the place. Our passing game has grown up a bit since the middle of the season (where we were pretty bad). You will have to defend both on most downs/distances. We have 4 very good RB's to your one - and we protect our QB pretty well.

I think we win by 10-14 and your QB ends up throwing a couple of picks out of frustration.

I only have one problem with MN.....

Duluth. I lived in that area for 3 years. It's truly amazing how much colder it is there than here in CNY. Our temps are in the teens today and everyone is freezing. Out there these temps would be the high temp for the entire month of jan/feb. "Sunny all day with highs reaching -5 but watch that windchill coming in off the lake at -30. Frost bite advisory in effect, no part of your skin should be exposed for more than 30 seconds. Low tonight -20 with wind chills dropping down to -40. And here's the traffic report with Bob..."

I HATE NORTHERN MN AND WI!! Okie Doke?

If you can't pass, you won't win this game. Shafer states up front that his game plan is to stop the run and then harass the QB into mistakes. If you average 2-3 yards on the ground, it will be lights out.

Our O is not all running as I've seen stated all over the place. Our passing game has grown up a bit since the middle of the season (where we were pretty bad). You will have to defend both on most downs/distances. We have 4 very good RB's to your one - and we protect our QB pretty well.

I think we win by 10-14 and your QB ends up throwing a couple of picks out of frustration.

That's a big if though as we average 4.4 on the ground. Nelson has only thrown 6 ints all year. The passing game is not great, but it works well enough they stay out of predictable passing situations. Losing our top wr doesn't help either, but Nelson is typically pretty smart with the ball. He'll have to play a solid game. Kill doesn't really turn Nelson loose if he doesn't have to. At rb Cobb gets the main workload, but he was maybe 3rd string at best coming into the year. We have 2 other backs that are pretty solid. Kirkwood ran for over 100 and 2 tds against you guys last year.

That's a big if though as we average 4.4 on the ground. Nelson has only thrown 6 ints all year. The passing game is not great, but it works well enough they stay out of predictable passing situations. Losing our top wr doesn't help either, but Nelson is typically pretty smart with the ball. He'll have to play a solid game. Kill doesn't really turn Nelson loose if he doesn't have to. At rb Cobb gets the main workload, but he was maybe 3rd string at best coming into the year. We have 2 other backs that are pretty solid. Kirkwood ran for over 100 and 2 tds against you guys last year.

As many posters have shared - your average on the ground is inflated by the games you played vs week run D. Against MSU, you averaged 2.2. Our front 7 are the sure fire strength of our team. It's likely you won't hit 4.4 on the ground against us.

As many posters have shared - your average on the ground is inflated by the games you played vs week run D. Against MSU, you averaged 2.2. Our front 7 are the sure fire strength of our team. It's likely you won't hit 4.4 on the ground against us.

Your D gives up over 4 yrds a carry. Yeah we didn't run well against one of the best defenses in the nation. NW, PSU, SJST, and Wisconsin also have top 25 run defenses. So I don't think our averages are all that inflated.

As I pointed out in another thread that stat is misleading and you're cherry picking the stats you want to use. You poo poo our running numbers against conference teams yet point to our numbers against MSU and WI, two of the best defenses in the country and claim that they're the norm. That's no accurate if you're being objective. Also as I pointed out before the total rushing numbers aren't a great indicator as they account for sack numbers as well. Our main RB has put up very good numbers for the last 6 games and he's our main weapon on the ground.

tdorf84 said:
Your D gives up over 4 yrds a carry. Yeah we didn't run well against one of the best defenses in the nation. NW, PSU, SJST, and Wisconsin also have top 25 run defenses. So I don't think our averages are all that inflated.

3.4 is hardly over 4. Teams who rely on the run, struggle against us (outside of GT and the triple option). We'll see.

How about we let the game play out on the field. Who cares about stats? I think it's good that some Minnesota fans have offered to help us learn about their team. Whether or not some fo their fans think SU is not in their league so to speak is inconsequential. Remember the WVU fans last year? I like the role of underdog.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom