Ask a Gopher Fan (and receive legit responses) | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Ask a Gopher Fan (and receive legit responses)

3.4 is hardly over 4. Teams who rely on the run, struggle against us (outside of GT and the triple option). We'll see.
http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/1040 maybe your # includes sacks and this one doesn't? I dunno, but yeah clearly the success/lack of success of our running game will have a massive impact on the game. I think the gophers also have an important edge in coaching experience and a more experienced qb. Playing in this exact bowl last year can't hurt either. Should be a good one, nice to see both teams trending in the right direction. Although It'd be nice if Cuse would stay out of Illinois, was hoping the gophers would get that Moskal kid.

I only have one problem with MN.....

Duluth. I lived in that area for 3 years. It's truly amazing how much colder it is there than here in CNY. Our temps are in the teens today and everyone is freezing. Out there these temps would be the high temp for the entire month of jan/feb. "Sunny all day with highs reaching -5 but watch that windchill coming in off the lake at -30. Frost bite advisory in effect, no part of your skin should be exposed for more than 30 seconds. Low tonight -20 with wind chills dropping down to -40. And here's the traffic report with Bob..."

I HATE NORTHERN MN AND WI!! Okie Doke?

We get prodigious amounts of snow off the Great Lakes but we also are impacted by the Gulf Stream and the temperature varies a lot. West of the lakes you can admire a snowflake in November and have another look at in April and it will look just as pretty.

Your D gives up over 4 yrds a carry. Yeah we didn't run well against one of the best defenses in the nation. NW, PSU, SJST, and Wisconsin also have top 25 run defenses. So I don't think our averages are all that inflated.

If you don't include the Wagner game SU's defense gave up 4.08 yds per carry this year. If the D1AA game is excluded from Minnesota's numbers average yds per carry against is 4.72.

Digging into the numbers a little further, SU gave up 810 yds in three games against GT (#6 Rushing Offense, 394 yds), BC (#20, 191), and FSU (#27, 225). In the other eight games against D1A teams SU gave up 101 yds per game.

Minnesota was nothing but consistent this year, they gave up 180 yds or more against the top seven rushing offenses and stopped the four worst. Wisconsin (#8 rushing offense) gave up 197, Nebraska (19) 189, Indiana (32) 225, Iowa (41) 246, MSU (51) 181, UNLV (53) 193, PSU (60) 190. SU btw is ranked 39th in rushing offense.

There was one good performance against NWestern (65) 94 yds, and did control Nex Mexico St (90) 103, San Jose St (96) 47, and Michigan (101) 113.

Here's why Minnesota's rushing numbers are inflated, out of 11 D1A games, over half of the years rushing total came in 4 games against the 106th, 112th, 117th, 125th ranked rushing defenses.

In the other 7 games the average was 147 yds with only one game above 2oo yds.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/1040 maybe your # includes sacks and this one doesn't? I dunno, but yeah clearly the success/lack of success of our running game will have a massive impact on the game. I think the gophers also have an important edge in coaching experience and a more experienced qb. Playing in this exact bowl last year can't hurt either. Should be a good one, nice to see both teams trending in the right direction. Although It'd be nice if Cuse would stay out of Illinois, was hoping the gophers would get that Moskal kid.

Those are from last year. This years defense is better.

If you don't include the Wagner game SU's defense gave up 4.08 yds per carry this year. If the D1AA game is excluded from Minnesota's numbers average yds per carry against is 4.72.

Digging into the numbers a little further, SU gave up 810 yds in three games against GT (#6 Rushing Offense, 394 yds), BC (#20, 191), and FSU (#27, 225). In the other eight games against D1A teams SU gave up 101 yds per game.

Minnesota was nothing but consistent this year, they gave up 180 yds or more against the top seven rushing offenses and stopped the four worst. Wisconsin (#8 rushing offense) gave up 197, Nebraska (19) 189, Indiana (32) 225, Iowa (41) 246, MSU (51) 181, UNLV (53) 193, PSU (60) 190. SU btw is ranked 39th in rushing offense.

There was one good performance against NWestern (65) 94 yds, and did control Nex Mexico St (90) 103, San Jose St (96) 47, and Michigan (101) 113.

Here's why Minnesota's rushing numbers are inflated, out of 11 D1A games, over half of the years rushing total came in 4 games against the 106th, 112th, 117th, 125th ranked rushing defenses.

In the other 7 games the average was 147 yds with only one game above 2oo yds.

Here's why Syracuse defensive #'s are inflated. In those other 8 games the best rushing offense they played was PSU at 60, which they shut down. Cuse gave up 204 yrds to NW (64). And 156 to Clemson (63).

tdorf84 said:
Here's why Syracuse defensive #'s are inflated. In those other 8 games the best rushing offense they played was PSU at 60, which they shut down. Cuse gave up 204 yrds to NW (64). And 156 to Clemson (63).

I hope you guys all come back to this board when your back doesn't get 100. I've never seen a gopher eat a crow.

The game will not be won by quoting statistics before hand. I think the teams are well matched. I have a feeling that if we played their schedule we'd be 8-4 with about their numbers and if they played yours, they'd be 6-6 with about our numbers.

Hey Gopher fans, it's simple...You wanted a better bowl against a better team so won't be as motivated as you might be in another game. We just want to punch you in the face and get revenge for the last 2 meetings. We are more motivated and will be victorious. Now where's my recipe for gopher stew. Don't knock it, tastes like chicken.

3084545150_bed778ce9d.jpg

I hope you guys all come back to this board when your back doesn't get 100. I've never seen a gopher eat a crow.
I haven't seen any MN fans predicting that, just pointing out that the running game is doing well in response to Cuse fans saying its not very good at all. Its just a discussion, not a prediction

Hey Gopher fans, it's simple...You wanted a better bowl against a better team so won't be as motivated as you might be in another game. We just want to punch you in the face and get revenge for the last 2 meetings. We are more motivated and will be victorious. Now where's my recipe for gopher stew. Don't knock it, tastes like chicken.

3084545150_bed778ce9d.jpg
I don't get why so many of you seem to equate fan expectations and excitement for the opponent to the teams motivation. The few times I've seen bowl teams just play unmotivated FB is if there's some type of coaching change, they had a really disappointing season and are just ready for it to be over, or are a truly high level team that gets matched with a completely uninspiring opponent (ie FSU vs NIU last year). This is none of those. The team is extremely motivated to get that 9th win

I haven't seen any MN fans predicting that, just pointing out that the running game is doing well in response to Cuse fans saying its not very good at all. Its just a discussion, not a prediction

So you're saying if we win or lose, you won't come back to review the discussion? I thought the Clemson fans were a little to thin-skinned - but it was fun to talk with them after the game.

So you're saying if we win or lose, you won't come back to review the discussion? I thought the Clemson fans were a little to thin-skinned - but it was fun to talk with them after the game.
No I definitely will. Just saying I don't see how saying 'hey we have a decent run game' equates to having to come back and eat crow if Cobb gains 80 yards or something. All I've been saying is that hey our running game has been effective this year vs the 'MNs running game sucks and running for 100 yds against MSU means nothing and the B1G sucks so your record is invalid' talk.

Oleboy41 said:
No I definitely will. Just saying I don't see how saying 'hey we have a decent run game' equates to having to come back and eat crow if Cobb gains 80 yards or something. All I've been saying is that hey our running game has been effective this year vs the 'MNs running game sucks and running for 100 yds against MSU means nothing and the B1G sucks so your record is invalid' talk.

Look - we are not disrespecting your running game. Clearly you can run the ball at 30 something in the nation. What we are saying is that expect a similar experience to MSU than to your other games against the 100+ ranked run defenses. You will need to be effective in the passing game to win. I don't think you will be.

Look - we are not disrespecting your running game. Clearly you can run the ball at 30 something in the nation. What we are saying is that expect a similar experience to MSU than to your other games against the 100+ ranked run defenses. You will need to be effective in the passing game to win. I don't think you will be.

I'm just confused as to why you think your run defense is on the same level as michigan state's. There's no evidence of that.

That's certainly possible. However if we run similar to what we did against MSU I think we'll have a great chance to win. Having watched the game we ran the ball very steadily and effectively for most of the game. The struggle with MSU was that even though we were running the ball well they had by far the best secondary we'd faced and our young WRs couldn't do jack against their corners who may be the best tandem in the country, certainly the B1G so they simply manned up our WRs and dared us to throw the ball and we couldn't execute well enough consistently enough to score points, especially in the redzone. Also MSU and WI were by far the two toughest D's we faced in the last 6 games and while Cuse appears to have a solid D I haven't seen or read anything yet that makes me think they're at the elite level of those two defenses. Apparently you feel otherwise so we'll see. My guess is talent wise Cuse is more similar to NW or PSU than to MSU or WI

This thread is comical. I have to say that we know that Syracuse isnt exactly like getting Alabama in a bowl game, but to be honest Minnesota didnt exactly move the needle when we learned who our opponent was. Bowl games are funny and crazy things happen. I expect to Cuse to win, but I have to say I felt that way vs everyone but Clemson & FSU this year.

This thread is comical. I have to say that we know that Syracuse isnt exactly like getting Alabama in a bowl game, but to be honest Minnesota didnt exactly move the needle when we learned who our opponent was. Bowl games are funny and crazy things happen. I expect to Cuse to win, but I have to say I felt that way vs everyone but Clemson & FSU this year.
Nobody other than our 2 fanbases have any interest in this game nationally

I'm just confused as to why you think your run defense is on the same level as michigan state's. There's no evidence of that.

I think we're still a bit over inflated based on holding the nations leading RB to 29 yards on 9 carries before knocking him out of the game. He broke a 26 yard TD but the other 3 yards on 8 carries have us feeling pretty good. I think I initially made the Minnesota/BC comparison and it's pretty much taken on a life of it's own.

tdorf84 said:

I didn't say the same level - I said expect a similar experience. When we play one dimensional running teams (outside if GT) - they have struggled to run and win.

I didn't say the same level - I said expect a similar experience. When we play one dimensional running teams (outside if GT) - they have struggled to run and win.

Running QB's still terrify me though. We've seen that be our downfall too many times in recent years.

I don't get why so many of you seem to equate fan expectations and excitement for the opponent to the teams motivation. The few times I've seen bowl teams just play unmotivated FB is if there's some type of coaching change, they had a really disappointing season and are just ready for it to be over, or are a truly high level team that gets matched with a completely uninspiring opponent (ie FSU vs NIU last year). This is none of those. The team is extremely motivated to get that 9th win

Just a little smack talk. I have no doubt you guys will be ready to play. Now excuse me, I have some cans of stew to put on the stove....

I think we're still a bit over inflated based on holding the nations leading RB to 29 yards on 9 carries before knocking him out of the game. He broke a 26 yard TD but the other 3 yards on 8 carries have us feeling pretty good. I think I initially made the Minnesota/BC comparison and it's pretty much taken on a life of it's own.

Looking at some #s it does seem like offensively we are very similar to BC. Similar rushing and passing attempts. Our QB can run a bit, we do a lot of read runs but not really option like GT. Here's a little well made highlight film of our season

Looking at some #s it does seem like offensively we are very similar to BC. Similar rushing and passing attempts. Our QB can run a bit, we do a lot of read runs but not really option like GT.

GT is an outlier. We tried to get cute on defense and abondoned out 4-3 for a 3-4 which got trashed. Oddly enough we never switched back to the 4-3 in that game. FWIW, I was at the GT/UGA game and GT's athlete's were on par with their SEC counter parts so made me feel a bit less horrible on how badly they destroyed us.

The BC comparo is pretty complimentary to be honest. They were a damn tough opponent that we only beat by 3. We could've won by more but p*ssed away quite a few scoring chances in a game where we outgained and out TOP's them. BC is also the only team that scored on, and somewhat gave FSU a game this year. BC run a lot of packages with extra linemen on the field, which IIRC the Gophers do as well. It would be a good replay to watch to get an idea what we'll likely be about in our bowl game. Do you have any opponents you feel played similar to how Cuse will? I'd be all for tracking down a replay prior to the bowl to see what you guys are about and how you feel you'll attack us.

Not sure any Cuse fans are expecting a blow out win, but most of the vitriol on here was the knee jerk variety in response to the blow out predictions on the other side. I feel like the Gophers fans that have graced our board with their presence have explained/vindicated their view point well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuse13159

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom