Assistant Coach Possibilities | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Assistant Coach Possibilities

Bernie Fine is probably available.

I made it through almost 6 pages before you stole my suggestion! Kudos though, the dude could coach big men, and he was accused of being a good closer. If GMac goes west with Hop, Herm Harried and Bernie would make a decent combo. We won when Bernie was in that seat. I'd like him to at least get an honorable discharge. I dont think Hop did a better job with the bigs, even though I really dig Hop.

Probably best to listen to Frances and open up the checkbook. However, when the head coach is paid less than the UNC-Wilmington coach, it seems likely the SU admins are going to clutch that god(money) of theirs until the day they're terminated. Look at the exposure/revenue basketball brings the school, and decide if it's worth paying back and investing at the same time. That's my frustrated take.

Otherwise, saddle up Fine!

Jim Boeheim addresses Syracuse’s search for a third assistant coach

While Boeheim said “ideally” he hires someone to work with the centers, he’s open to bumping someone to that spot to best fit all three. Boeheim mentioned how both himself and Hopkins started as assistant coaches working with guards before moving to big men.
He added that because of Autry and McNamara’s proven skills as recruiters, “we probably don’t need a great recruiter.” :bang:

I made it through almost 6 pages before you stole my suggestion! Kudos though, the dude could coach big men, and he was accused of being a good closer. If GMac goes west with Hop, Herm Harried and Bernie would make a decent combo. We won when Bernie was in that seat. I'd like him to at least get an honorable discharge. I dont think Hop did a better job with the bigs, even though I really dig Hop.

Probably best to listen to Frances and open up the checkbook. However, when the head coach is paid less than the UNC-Wilmington coach, it seems likely the SU admins are going to clutch that god(money) of theirs until the day they're terminated. Look at the exposure/revenue basketball brings the school, and decide if it's worth paying back and investing at the same time. That's my frustrated take.

Otherwise, saddle up Fine!
YES. Lets revisit the pedophile, defamation and video discussions ad naeusum for the next 3 years.:bat::vomit:

Who is developing the bigs at Michigan? Offer that guy the chitload! Wagner and DJ Wilson are real players now. They're basically unguardable as a team now. They stopped shooting threes and owned Louisville in the paint! We could have Coleman, Chewie, Roberson, and Lydon available to deploy and not do much in the paint against anybody. :bang:

Last edited:
Not saying I am a proponent but interesting that Z Sims' name hasn't come up at all. I know a lot of what happened at Binghamton was well beyond his control but he does have a little experience as a D1 assistant

From Binghamton Press article in 2014 - During the week leading up to that game, legendary Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim said of Sims, "As a player he really understood the game as good as any point guard we've ever had. He's probably the smartest player I've ever coached."

Not saying I am a proponent but interesting that Z Sims' name hasn't come up at all. I know a lot of what happened at Binghamton was well beyond his control but he does have a little experience as a D1 assistant

I want somebody who is currently on the recruiting trail, not a guy from parks and rec.

I want somebody who is currently on the recruiting trail, not a guy from parks and rec.

Hence the "Not saying I'm a proponent" qualifier but it seems like what you (and I) want has surprisingly little bearing on what JB wants. Saying he doesn't intend to interview certainly seems like the hire will come from his inner circle or at the very least extended circle through USA basketball or AAU connections.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom