Assistant Coach Possibilities | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Assistant Coach Possibilities

I think Red deserves the first chair and can equal or surpass Hop as lead recruiter.

but I agree that new blood would be ideal as 2nd assistant. I wouldn't promote GMac but I'm biased.

Thank you for your wise words.

I think Orlando can take care of cutting the checks just fine.

Yes, he and his brother if welcomed back into the frat will need to serve a cooling off period

I get the feeling JB will just go with the familiar/comfortable (and least effort :() and make Wellman the other assistant

A new assistant will be required now that Hop is headed for Washington and JB’s contract has been extended. Any ideas, aside from the suggestions below? Blackwell gets my vote for now. Griffin was my first choice but he may be moving on to Indiana.

The following have been suggested in an article by Donna Ditota on March 19.

Kip Wellman. SU's Director of Basketball Operations since 2013, Wellman is already familiar with the Orange system and could merely shift chairs from the DOBO spot to the assistant coach chair. He also worked at SU as a graduate assistant coach.

Eric Devendorf. SU's assistant strength and conditioning coach, Devendorf, too, is already in Syracuse. He's a former Syracuse player who has spent the past year close to the program. He's earned his degree from SU and the transition would be fairly seamless.

Ryan Blackwell. The former Syracuse forward now coaches basketball at Liverpool High School, where he has lifted that school's basketball profile. He coached Boeheim's Army last summer, coached for four years in Japan and works Time Warner (now Spectrum) games as a broadcaster for SU games.

Allen Griffin. The former SU guard has been a mainstay on the staff of Archie Miller, who has built an enviable program at A-10 power Dayton. But Miller has been rumored to be the next Indiana head coach and Griffin, as loyal as he is to SU, has a stable job now and could be moving with Miller to Indiana or another power program that promises equal stability.

Outside of Griffin these are meager rations. Wouldn't the new asst. have to run practices and do most of the coaching like Hopkins did?

A new assistant will be required now that Hop is headed for Washington and JB’s contract has been extended. Any ideas, aside from the suggestions below? Blackwell gets my vote for now. Griffin was my first choice but he may be moving on to Indiana.

Kip Wellman. SU's Director of Basketball Operations since 2013, Wellman is already familiar with the Orange system and could merely shift chairs from the DOBO spot to the assistant coach chair. He also worked at SU as a graduate assistant coach.

Eric Devendorf. SU's assistant strength and conditioning coach, Devendorf, too, is already in Syracuse. He's a former Syracuse player who has spent the past year close to the program. He's earned his degree from SU and the transition would be fairly seamless.

Ryan Blackwell. The former Syracuse forward now coaches basketball at Liverpool High School, where he has lifted that school's basketball profile. He coached Boeheim's Army last summer, coached for four years in Japan and works Time Warner (now Spectrum) games as a broadcaster for SU games.

Allen Griffin. The former SU guard has been a mainstay on the staff of Archie Miller, who has built an enviable program at A-10 power Dayton. But Miller has been rumored to be the next Indiana head coach and Griffin, as loyal as he is to SU, has a stable job now and could be moving with Miller to Indiana or another power program that promises equal stability.
None of these. If JB is smart he hires another Troy Weaver. An outsider with connections to the hottest AAU programs who can get us a few elite recruits a la Carmelo. Otherwise our recruiting is going to continue to decline from mediocrity.

Someone who has never been to SU.

I keep hearing that we need to find a strong recruiter, someone outside of the program. What would be the selling points to come to SU given current state of affairs? The dome and hall of fame coach are understood but what does that "Ace recruiter" need to hear before leaving his current situation to join Cuse? I think if this was 10 years ago there would be tons of applicants...Now? I don't know... I think it will be more challenging than people think... Hope I am wrong.

I keep hearing that we need to find a strong recruiter, someone outside of the program. What would be the selling points to come to SU given current state of affairs? The dome and hall of fame coach are understood but what does that "Ace recruiter" need to hear before leaving his current situation to join Cuse? I think if this was 10 years ago there would be tons of applicants...Now? I don't know... I think it will be more challenging than people think... Hope I am wrong.
I think it depends on the candidates age and experience. If there is someone in the A10 who is 28 and looking to expand there resume then I think spending three years at Syracuse is perfect. Not everyone can be the coach in waiting. We have become use to assistants who stay for a very long time because they are Syracuse guys. Weaver turned a brief stint here into an NBA job. Sam Presti considers Troy to be his main guy. Most NBA executives expect Weaver to someday be a GM. A young coach in a lower level might love to come to Syracuse and expand their contacts.

Outside of Griffin these are meager rations. Wouldn't the new asst. have to run practices and do most of the coaching like Hopkins did?

No. Autry has been promoted to Hopkins role and now looking for someone who can coach big men in his old role.

This hire will be telling.

Are we content with the status quo, and hiring from within the SU family, or are we looking to improve our lot?

Which part of Boeheim being extended and Red being promoted gave you the impression we're looking for change?
18-13
23-14
19-15
Happened.
That isn't the recipe to stay the course. If JB hires within we are screwed for recruiting.
We will have a guard coaching bigs.
We will continue having poor player development and lazy predictable basketball.
Hiring within would be beyond pathetic and depressing.

Why wouldn't Griffin be in consideration for the Dayton job if Miller moves on?

if you keep it in cuse family, Herman Harried, he has a ton of connections with the AAU market, if not Herman, go outside the box

18-13
23-14
19-15
Happened.
That isn't the recipe to stay the course. If JB hires within we are screwed for recruiting.
We will have a guard coaching bigs.
We will continue having poor player development and lazy predictable basketball.
Hiring within would be beyond pathetic and depressing.

I'm not saying that change isn't needed. I'm just saying it seems pretty apparent that we aren't seeking change.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom