At the end of the day it will probably be recruiting | Syracusefan.com

At the end of the day it will probably be recruiting

Crusty

Living Legend
that determines the staff's fate. It wouldn't be the first time a few stars bailed out a staff in a tough spot.

I am not referring to the short term good feeling we get with verbals, but recruits actually delivering on the field. So far, the only one of Shafer's that seems to be a sure fire star is Ishmael. Phillips looks very promising as is Estime, but Brisly can't seem to stay on the field. That is about it on the offensive side of the ball.

Dunkleberger is exciting, but we were excited about Custis last year as well. (What did happen to Custis?)

This year's class is riddled with 2R/3S star recruits - 13 by my count. Not a single four star - again.

I think we continue to find some outstanding defensive prospects. but darn few on offense. I am not sure what all the fuss is about with this class. (Am willing to learn!)

This years team had a bad offensive line, and PTG never should have been the lead back, this year proved why he was the backup the last 2 years. Send this years starting line on their way, start over with Ward, Roberts, Hayes, McGloster, and a center, and let them grow as a unit. At least the young guys have size, and an upside, the current group was bad the very first game against Villanova.

that determines the staff's fate. It wouldn't be the first time a few stars bailed out a staff in a tough spot.

I am not referring to the short term good feeling we get with verbals, but recruits actually delivering on the field. So far, the only one of Shafer's that seems to be a sure fire star is Ishmael. Phillips looks very promising as is Estime, but Brisly can't seem to stay on the field. That is about it on the offensive side of the ball.

Dunkleberger is exciting, but we were excited about Custis last year as well. (What did happen to Custis?)

This year's class is riddled with 2R/3S star recruits - 13 by my count. Not a single four star - again.

I think we continue to find some outstanding defensive prospects. but darn few on offense. I am not sure what all the fuss is about with this class. (Am willing to learn!)
the majority of this class is 3 star guys(80% plus depending on site used)

s... and 247 are though

And 247 has this classed ranked 14 in the ACC last time I checked. Everything is relative. There does seem to be an improvement in recruiting with SS. It needs to get even better to keep pace in the ACC, and to keep pace with the ridiculous OCC scheduling.

rivals is the only one that has a lot of our guys at 2 stars.
Yes of course but I don't think they deserve to be ignored.
I am not arguing that this is a bad class as I simply don't know, but it is hard to see some huge difference from last year - especialy relative to our peers. If we are in the bottom quartile of the ACC in recruiting I am struggling to see how we improve.

Yes of course but I don't think they deserve to be ignored.
I am not arguing that this is a bad class as I simply don't know, but it is hard to see some huge difference from last year - especialy relative to our peers. If we are in the bottom quartile of the ACC in recruiting I am struggling to see how we improve.

Last years class might have been woefully underestimated. It's loaded with 1st teamers.

Franklin, Ishmael, Long, Phillips, Cordy - have all played very well. There are some very good linemen that have redshirted that will be players for us. If this class is like the last, we'll be fine.

I think so much of the recruiting game is overrated. I'm very pleased with their eye for talent. Here's to hoping AJ gets better or Alin or Eric is ready to step in. That's our weakest link so far.

Last years class might have been woefully underestimated. It's loaded with 1st teamers.

Franklin, Ishmael, Long, Phillips, Cordy - have all played very well. There are some very good linemen that have redshirted that will be players for us. If this class is like the last, we'll be fine.

I think so much of the recruiting game is overrated. I'm very pleased with their eye for talent. Here's to hoping AJ gets better or Alin or Eric is ready to step in. That's our weakest link so far.
Is it just me or is our D recruiting better than our O? Is it easier to find good D prospects?

This years team had a bad offensive line, and PTG never should have been the lead back, this year proved why he was the backup the last 2 years. Send this years starting line on their way, start over with Ward, Roberts, Hayes, McGloster, and a center, and let them grow as a unit. At least the young guys have size, and an upside, the current group was bad the very first game against Villanova.

I don't know, OL was supposed to be a strength this year. OL was our strong point last year. We only lost Mackey. I know Mackey is good, but was he that good? Plus everyone has a love affair with Miller so you would assume the OL would once again be a strength. To me the unit has been woefully inconsistent...even before the injuries (see Nova game where a 260lb DL more then held their own). We did lose Perles. Was Adam that much of a downgrade? Then again i guess that's what you get for hiring a buddy you promised you would give a job, despite him having experience on coaching the other side of the ball. Our OL inefficiency also worries me about our player development. We should get better, not worse.

As for recruiting I felt the staff did an excellent job last year. Their were a ton of studs on both sides of the ball, and we beat out a lot of pier schools for most of the talent. This years class I don't like at all. imo there is only 2 kids that I wouldn't want to lose. Plus we have a lot of guys that have no other offers, let alone P5 offers. Not sure what happened this year, but I feel we took a pretty big step backwards.

Give it another year or two.

There are several HUGE names that haven't been given ample opportunity to display their talents yet.

Slayton, Samuels, Ward, Bennet, Thomas, Enoicy... the list goes on.

The class is one of the highest ranked that SU has had in many years. You did research before posting, right?

The class is one of the highest ranked that SU has had in many years. You did research before posting, right?

That, as you know. is not saying much. The class is ranked something like 14th in the ACC. Two and three star athletes is not going to do much in the ACC.

Who in this class do we feel are difference makers? More importantly, how many? You did your research right?

That, as you know. is not saying much. The class is ranked something like 14th in the ACC. Two and three star athletes is not going to do much in the ACC.

Who in this class do we feel are difference makers? More importantly, how many? You did your research right?

Sco$t has the class ranked 38 in the country and 7th in the ACC.. Just for reference...guessing you are looking at a different site

That's not remotely accurate. Last year's class and this year's class--assuming we can retain it, given how this season unfolded--are our two best classes in 15+ years, in terms of ratings. We haven't landed any blue chippers, per your post above, but we've gone from landing guys with MAC offers to landing many guys who have an impressive array of P5 offers--including some from 'name' institutions.

Recruiting is heading in the right direction. However, coaching seems to be going in the wrong direction. And sadly for them, it generally takes our recruits 2 years or so to round into form as contributors. So we might not experieience many immediate dividends right away.

The last site to look at is Rivals, ESPN does a much better job of evaluating, they actually seem to have an idea where a player projects to in the future.

The last site to look at is Rivals, ESPN does a much better job of evaluating, they actually seem to have an idea where a player projects to in the future.
I agree we have to look at all sites but if we are going to be objective we can't ignore Rivals just becasue we don't like the ratings.

I agree we have to look at all sites but if we are going to be objective we can't ignore Rivals just becasue we don't like the ratings.
The point is rivals gives no reason for their ratings, ESPN has a player evaluation along with their ratings, so at least ESPN makes an honest try to explain their ratings.

That's not remotely accurate. Last year's class and this year's class--assuming we can retain it, given how this season unfolded--are our two best classes in 15+ years, in terms of ratings. We haven't landed any blue chippers, per your post above, but we've gone from landing guys with MAC offers to landing many guys who have an impressive array of P5 offers--including some from 'name' institutions.

Recruiting is heading in the right direction. However, coaching seems to be going in the wrong direction. And sadly for them, it generally takes our recruits 2 years or so to round into form as contributors. So we might not experieience many immediate dividends right away.

I just checked Sco ut and we are currently EDIT 17th 7th and we are almost certainly going to be passed by a couple before it is all over.
247 has us 10th in the ACC at the moment.
ESPN does not have us in the top 40 - can't find conference rankings.
Rivals has us 13th.

Guys, I am normally willing to drink the Kool-Aid, but what do we really hang our hat on. Granted, we have had two classes better than previous years, but we are also in the ACC and we won't go anywhere with bottom conference recruiting classes. Somewhere someone we have to do better, don't we?

Reactions: 007
I just checked Sco ut and we are currently EDIT 17th 7th and we are almost certainly going to be passed by a couple before it is all over.
Rivals has us 13th.

Guys, I am normally willing to drink the Kool-Aid, but what do we really hang our hat on. Granted, we have had two classes better than previous years, but we are also in the ACC and we won't go anywhere with bottom conference recruiting classes. Somewhere someone we have to do better, don't we?

Recruiting seems to be on the upswing with this staff, and that's a good thing. But, as you mentioned, all things are relative and we have to try keep pace with at least the middle of the ACC in terms of talent. I don't think we can bank on this staff consistently overachieving with an overall talent level below the median of the ACC.

Rivals has us 13th.

This shows a distinct lack of perspective. You need to win to recruit better caliber players.

Right now, we're trending upwards. But it doesn't just happen because a switch magically flips.

I repeat: the last two classes have been better than the preceding 15. We still need more. And the only way to get there is some combination of winning coupled with a staff that can entice better prospects to consider SU. This staff has done a better job than its predecesors. It is still up in the air whether the upgraded recruiting is "good enough," to say nothing of how quickly / when we'll start to see these guys make on-field contributions.