Class of 2015 - ATH Kenterius Womack (AL) Signed LOI | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 ATH Kenterius Womack (AL) Signed LOI

2A school in the southern part of the state. Not too far away from Troy. Not sure if they made the playoffs. I can check.

ETA: They went 5-5 on the season, lost in the first round of the playoffs.

Haven't seen his hudl highlights yet. Pretty good talent in that part of the state, though.
He's about an hour south from where I live. Do I need to drive down and give him a great recruiting pitch about the Cuse :D

Just finished watching his hudl highlights. He's good. Definitely another one of those "under the radar" types.
Agreed...maybe he had grade issues early and has cleared that hurdle so colleges are looking at him now.

What is it with schools that follow us around. Now it's friggin Michigan ? I don't need another school to hate on.

Harbaugh must trust Shafer's eye. It has been a while since Jim was in this game and maybe he's looking at a guy who stuck with it, who he trusts. I wonder if Shafer would find his way back to Michigan if something were to happen here. That's a whole new band getting back together (especially with Wheatly there now).

What is it with schools that follow us around. Now it's friggin Michigan ? I don't need another school to hate on.

Well, Harbaugh got there real late. Needs to shift Michigan recruiting into overdrive. Which he's doing.

See on TOS that SU has offered him... no offer from Michigan yet.

Edit..but what I really want to know is why his nickname is PIG.;)

See on TOS that SU has offered him... no offer from Michigan yet.

Edit..but what I really want to know is why his nickname is PIG.;)
Any idea when he is visiting?

Stephen Bailey ‏@Stephen_Bailey1 4s4 seconds ago
Everything you need to know about @KenteriusWomack, a 2015 quarterback from Alabama visiting Syracuse today: http://bit.ly/1AYek0v

Syracuse, N.Y. — Syracuse already has one quarterback signed for its 2015 class, and the Orange is pushing hard for another.

Luverne (Ala.) High School quarterback Kenterius Womack has been offered a scholarship by the Syracuse coaching staff and will visit SU on Wednesday, Luverne assistant coach Doug Brown said in a phone interview earlier on Wednesday.

"I think our timeframe is going to be fairly short," Brown said.

As of this weekend, the 6-foot-3, 185-pound Womack had no scholarship offers and was looking at lower-level programs with prestigious academics. Just a few days later, he's received interest from 54 schools and counting, Brown said, many of which have offered.

The most high-profile program looking at Womack is Michigan, though the Wolverines have not yet offered, Brown said. Womack is working on setting up a visit to UM as well. His offer sheet includes Nevada, Eastern Michigan, Connecticut, Army and Youngstown State, Brown said.

"He fell under the radar," Brown said, "but it's nothing to do with him and nothing to do with us. Sometimes South Alabama, a rural area, you just get lost. We really thought he would be highly recruited."

Syracuse offensive coordinator Tim Lester was the first Division-I coach to reach out and start building a relationship with Womack, Brown said. Lester and SU wide recievers coach/recruiting coordinator Bobby Acosta have since spoken with Womack numerous times over the phone, and as a result became the first set of coaches to bring Womack in for a visit.

"We've talked to so many people, I can't remember them all," Brown said. "They were the first people on him, the first guys to call and set up a visit."

Womack was a four-year starter at Luverne, Brown said, moving from wide receiver to quarterback as a sophomore, and playing in the secondary sparingly as a senior due to injuries. Many programs are recruiting him as a defensive back, Brown said, but SU is looking at him as a quarterback primarily.

Luverne moved from a run-heavy offense to a spread system before Womack's junior year, Brown said, and he went on to throw for 27 touchdowns and run for about 11 more. Womack was clocked at 4.47 seconds for a 40-yard dash at a West Florida camp this summer.

Still, like Syracuse's lone signee from Alabama — defensive tackle Steven Clark — Womack's recruitment didn't blow up until the very end of the cycle. It wasn't until this week that the phone calls and offers started flooding in.

Brown said Womack is looking for "the right fit" at a school and an academic situation that he'll be able to succeed in. Womack is an honors student interested in business, Brown said, and will have no issues passing the NCAA Clearinghouse standards.

Womack's athletic versatility also makes him a recruit that SU head coach Scott Shafer likely values. Womack is an all-state shortstop and the No. 2 scorer on Luverne's basketball team, Brown said.

"You haven't got a better kid," Brown said. "Not as a person. He will never let you down. He will never tell you a lie. He's a consummate 18-year-old kid graduating high school"

Syracuse currently has four quarterbacks on its roster: redshirt senior Terrel Hunt, sophomore AJ Long, redshirt sophomore Austin Wilson and preferred walk-on sophomore transfer Zack Mahoney. The Orange is also expected to add signee Eric Dungey this summer.

Agreed...maybe he had grade issues early and has cleared that hurdle so colleges are looking at him now.

"The most high-profile program looking at Womack is Michigan, though the Wolverines have not yet offered, Brown said. Womack is working on setting up a visit to UM as well. His offer sheet includes Nevada, Eastern Michigan, Connecticut, Army and Youngstown State, Brown said.

"He fell under the radar," Brown said, "but it's nothing to do with him and nothing to do with us. Sometimes South Alabama, a rural area, you just get lost. We really thought he would be highly recruited."

"Brown said Womack is looking for "the right fit" at a school and an academic situation that he'll be able to succeed in. Womack is an honors student interested in business, Brown said, and will have no issues passing the NCAA Clearinghouse standards."

"The most high-profile program looking at Womack is Michigan, though the Wolverines have not yet offered, Brown said. Womack is working on setting up a visit to UM as well. His offer sheet includes Nevada, Eastern Michigan, Connecticut, Army and Youngstown State, Brown said.

"Brown said Womack is looking for "the right fit" at a school and an academic situation that he'll be able to succeed in. Womack is an honors student interested in business, Brown said, and will have no issues passing the NCAA Clearinghouse standards."

Yep. Not grade related.

Womack fell victim to the "no-name" school syndrome...

I know. I'm so happy for this kid, though. Regardless of where he goes (hope it's 'Cuse).

A championship quality FB team can be fielded from nothing but "no-name" schools.

Do you think that part of it is because both Steven and Kenterius are in a powerhouse football state like Alabama that it also contributed to them being over looked more easily. No offense to Robert Washington but his school is not in one of the HS FB power conferences in NC. He plays for a Christian school so their schedule is playing Christian/Prep/Day schools. Maybe he was easier to notice because he is in NC and not Bama, Fl, GA, Texas, etc.

Stephen Bailey ‏@Stephen_Bailey1 4s4 seconds ago
Everything you need to know about @KenteriusWomack, a 2015 quarterback from Alabama visiting Syracuse today: http://bit.ly/1AYek0v

Syracuse, N.Y. — Syracuse already has one quarterback signed for its 2015 class, and the Orange is pushing hard for another.

Luverne (Ala.) High School quarterback Kenterius Womack has been offered a scholarship by the Syracuse coaching staff and will visit SU on Wednesday, Luverne assistant coach Doug Brown said in a phone interview earlier on Wednesday.

"I think our timeframe is going to be fairly short," Brown said.

As of this weekend, the 6-foot-3, 185-pound Womack had no scholarship offers and was looking at lower-level programs with prestigious academics. Just a few days later, he's received interest from 54 schools and counting, Brown said, many of which have offered.

The most high-profile program looking at Womack is Michigan, though the Wolverines have not yet offered, Brown said. Womack is working on setting up a visit to UM as well. His offer sheet includes Nevada, Eastern Michigan, Connecticut, Army and Youngstown State, Brown said.

Syracuse offensive coordinator Tim Lester was the first Division-I coach to reach out and start building a relationship with Womack, Brown said. Lester and SU wide recievers coach/recruiting coordinator Bobby Acosta have since spoken with Womack numerous times over the phone, and as a result became the first set of coaches to bring Womack in for a visit.

"We've talked to so many people, I can't remember them all," Brown said. "They were the first people on him, the first guys to call and set up a visit."

Womack was a four-year starter at Luverne, Brown said, moving from wide receiver to quarterback as a sophomore, and playing in the secondary sparingly as a senior due to injuries. Many programs are recruiting him as a defensive back, Brown said, but SU is looking at him as a quarterback primarily.

Luverne moved from a run-heavy offense to a spread system before Womack's junior year, Brown said, and he went on to throw for 27 touchdowns and run for about 11 more. Womack was clocked at 4.47 seconds for a 40-yard dash at a West Florida camp this summer.

Still, like Syracuse's lone signee from Alabama — defensive tackle Steven Clark — Womack's recruitment didn't blow up until the very end of the cycle. It wasn't until this week that the phone calls and offers started flooding in.

Brown said Womack is looking for "the right fit" at a school and an academic situation that he'll be able to succeed in. Womack is an honors student interested in business, Brown said, and will have no issues passing the NCAA Clearinghouse standards.

Womack's athletic versatility also makes him a recruit that SU head coach Scott Shafer likely values. Womack is an all-state shortstop and the No. 2 scorer on Luverne's basketball team, Brown said.

"You haven't got a better kid," Brown said. "Not as a person. He will never let you down. He will never tell you a lie. He's a consummate 18-year-old kid graduating high school"

Syracuse currently has four quarterbacks on its roster: redshirt senior Terrel Hunt, sophomore AJ Long, redshirt sophomore Austin Wilson and preferred walk-on sophomore transfer Zack Mahoney. The Orange is also expected to add signee Eric Dungey this summer.
How the hell did Lester find this kid? It's great that we were the first ones to contact him. Highlight reel sent to Lester? If so, when?

I love the novelty value alone of Lester going to Oregon and Alabama to find a QB for us.