Atlanta hasn't been burned this badly since Sherman | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Atlanta hasn't been burned this badly since Sherman

No, it's "Southerner's" trying to make comparison to misfortune that hit "Northerner's"... it has nothing to do with where Syracuse is in the "North" related to the hurricane.

I'll relate a story from when we were living in Greenville, South Carolina (I'm from CNY)... my wife worked with a lady that had jury duty. She was on the jury for an armed robbery... and one of the witnesses was being asked to describe his attackers... his response was something to the effect of he was sure that they were "foreigners" and he could tell by their accents. When pressed further on what type of accent they had, he elaborated that they had "Northern" accents... this was within the last 5 years, not a story from 50 years ago... the culture of "North" vs. "South" is still strong even almost 150 years after the last shot was fired in the Civil War.

I have worked with guys from the south that would always say the reason why they lost the war was when they found out who or what we were fighting for, they just gave up and this was recent too.

And from different people from different states so this must be a running joke from down south.

The problem isn't "not being equipped". The problem is that they had advanced warning of the coming storm and chose to ignore it and ended up in bad situations.
From local (Atlanta) meteorologists: the storm was expected to hit south of Atlanta. Not until 4:00am on Tuesday was Atlanta included in the storm watch (or whatever they called it). Unless the right people were alerted at that time, it was probably too late. One would hope that in the future that if a storm is anywhere near a metropolitan area in the south that people are ready to act, no matter what time of day, and already have things set up to notify the school districts, etc.. That said, in reality I expect to see a couple of false alarms in the next few years followed by a repeat of this week's events.

And let us remember, friends, that the original tweet referred to closing the frickin' airport. No mention of roads and/or highways. Totally blown out of proportion. Give it a rest already!

I think the biggest mistake here is that Shafer (or whoever tweeted) did not realize that the people of Atlanta had no sense of the context of the "soft-nosed" remark. When Syracuse fans hear the phrase from him, we take it lightly because we set it against his overuse of the word "hard-nosed," which is comical in itself. So this tweet was really meant for us and not Southerners.

The people of Atlanta, or anywhere else for that matter, have never heard Shafer speak before and have no sense of his personality and all they see is "Atlanta is soft-nosed" even though that's not even the exact quote either. And that can be very insulting.

if they had hcss instead of gen lee or stonewall jackson - we would be eating grits -so yes they are soft nosed- we are the ottoman empire -join or be assimilated

I was going to write a thoughtful post that gave credence to the fact that SMFS's tweet was in bad taste and extending the proverbial olive branch to the folks in the South that got all butthurt over it. The more I've thought about it though...screw that... Us Northerners are allowed to make fun of the South...after all, we won the Civil War, we do everything better than you, and yes...we're harder than you. Eat it. Sorry that people died, but that's what happens everywhere when people do stupid s#!*...

I was going to write a thoughtful post that gave credence to the fact that SMFS's tweet was in bad taste and extending the proverbial olive branch to the folks in the South that got all butthurt over it. The more I've thought about it though...screw that... Us Northerners are allowed to make fun of the South...after all, we won the Civil War, we do everything better than you, and yes...we're harder than you. Eat it. Sorry that people died, but that's what happens everywhere when people do stupid s#!*...
here's the thing - half of atlanta are northerners! we got our asses kicked by this, too. this discussion is juvenile and insane. he made a joke, clearly without realizing the scope of things. when he learned he apologized. it's common sense that when folks are struggling with something out of their control at a mass level, you either help or let them be. there's upside for comedians to make calculated witty statements based on this stuff. there's zero upside for head coaches of .500 football teams to do it through one of their formal pr mechanisms...which is why i think it was just a dumb mistake that would be easy to put behind us if it wasn't for folks doubling down on the sentiment.

i'd take a driving in snow storm in syracuse any day over driving in one inch in atlanta yesterday

My 4wd can handle either without issue. That being said, I'd probably never invest in the extra expense if I lived down there. Unless you're mud bogging there's no reason for it. Different Worlds. I've been to Atlanta in May for a wedding and though I was gonna die. I don't mind Shafer stirring up some stuff, but after hearing about the deaths and what not, he should make a public apology to the families of those affected. His tweet doesn't do justice IMO. I much prefer this type of stuff....

From local (Atlanta) meteorologists: the storm was expected to hit south of Atlanta. Not until 4:00am on Tuesday was Atlanta included in the storm watch (or whatever they called it). Unless the right people were alerted at that time, it was probably too late. One would hope that in the future that if a storm is anywhere near a metropolitan area in the south that people are ready to act, no matter what time of day, and already have things set up to notify the school districts, etc.. That said, in reality I expect to see a couple of false alarms in the next few years followed by a repeat of this week's events.

Agreed... a "false alarm" is better than a 4-alarm emergency because warning signs were ignored... this situation can't come up more than 3-5 days a winter down in Atlanta on average. Much better to be safe rather than sorry.

Timonen said:
here's the thing - half of atlanta are northerners! we got our asses kicked by this, too. this discussion is juvenile and insane. he made a joke, clearly without realizing the scope of things. when he learned he apologized. it's common sense that when folks are struggling with something out of their control at a mass level, you either help or let them be. there's upside for comedians to make calculated witty statements based on this stuff. there's zero upside for head coaches of .500 football teams to do it through one of their formal pr mechanisms...which is why i think it was just a dumb mistake that would be easy to put behind us if it wasn't for folks doubling down on the sentiment.

Last night I was thoroughly distraught over the announcer of the Wake game mentioning Syracuse as a frozen tundra! Insensitive! How dare he! No upside to that comment. ;).

So if Nick Saban said it, it's ok?

That's the part that's really getting me.
"I'm OUTRAGED! So outraged that I'm going to make fun of you for losing a football game."

So if your (not you personally, Timonen, but all the backlash) retort is something as inconsequential as mocking a football score, in reality, you aren't that outraged at all. You just want to make a scene.

On the one hand I pleased That Coach is so ensconced in his work that he is oblivious to everything. ( Recruit Like Hell!) On the other hand I feel tremendous pity for him because what he is getting from the southern media isn't even a fraction of what his WIFE is probably intending on administering. Especially after the Dabo incident.

So if Nick Saban said it, it's ok?

That's the part that's really getting me.
"I'm OUTRAGED! So outraged that I'm going to make fun of you for losing a football game."

So if your (not you personally, Timonen, but all the backlash) retort is something as inconsequential as mocking a football score, in reality, you aren't that outraged at all. You just want to make a scene.
nah, that's just to say that SU (and HCSS) are both in growth mode. Who does a comment like that win over? maybe a lot of the base he already has likes it (though it did ostracize some of us)...but who feels better about su football from that? Again, twitter is a pr vehicle. what's the upside? Spurrier wasn't poking at fan bases when he was at Duke. And this isn't even a fan base but a whole region that's having a tough time. just me, but i don't blame folks for the responses when it should never get the point of having the discussion.

nah, that's just to say that SU (and HCSS) are both in growth mode. Who does a comment like that win over? maybe a lot of the base he already has likes it (though it did ostracize some of us)...but who feels better about su football from that? Again, twitter is a pr vehicle. what's the upside? Spurrier wasn't poking at fan bases when he was at Duke. And this isn't even a fan base but a whole region that's having a tough time. just me, but i don't blame folks for the responses when it should never get the point of having the discussion.

man...if all those people saw your avatar they might have been carrying ice skates in the car.

snow.png

Hell i was in Watertown during the Ice storm of the century. This was nothing

https://www.google.com/search?q=ice...WMObUsASaj4GIAg&ved=0CDkQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=815
I am absolutely sure Shafer was not directing his insults at youngsters stuck in school. It is so common place for us to make fun of how bad Southerners are with ice and snow and for them to make fun of the fact that we live in this stuff. Way to much about nothing !!! Every storm of every kind some unfortunate souls lose lives. Its the way it is.

My 4wd can handle either without issue. That being said, I'd probably never invest in the extra expense if I lived down there. Unless you're mud bogging there's no reason for it. Different Worlds. I've been to Atlanta in May for a wedding and though I was gonna die. I don't mind Shafer stirring up some stuff, but after hearing about the deaths and what not, he should make a public apology to the families of those affected. His tweet doesn't do justice IMO. I much prefer this type of stuff...

Trust me on solid ice my 4WD here in Texas was useless going up a hill. It reached a point where all four wheels lost traction and I did a slow, agonizing slide down the slope towards a ditch. Fortunately, I rememebered the edge of the road had a gravel shoulder. I had enough friction to finally brake the Jeep with the two wheels in the gravel. I turned around and drove home instead of to work. Sometimes even knowing how to drive in ice is not enough.

good god it was a joke, he apologized, georgia people are p_ssies for taking it too serious... yes i blame them for reacting the way they did... the roads get icy up here and we dont have thousand car pileups

good god it was a joke, he apologized, georgia people are p_ssies for taking it too serious... yes i blame them for reacting the way they did... the roads get icy up here and we dont have thousand car pileups
that's constructive. well done.

I wasnt trying to be constructive, it was a harmless tweet that some troll came across and started a foolish twitter war

I wasnt trying to be constructive, it was a harmless tweet that some troll came across and started a foolish twitter war
the tweet was a troll to begin with! good god. you're clueless.

You guys could use some more snow storms. I hear cold weather thickens the skin.
yep, a thicker skin would have made all the difference for us. again, i don't give a crap about the tweet. he didn't mean any harm by it, clearly didn't get what was actually happening and apologized. fine, done. it's the idiots doubling down acting like it's some cultural southern thing to blame. half of us are northerners! the folks with the biggest problems were interstate truck drivers! so the northerners all failed and the experienced drivers all failed...but god knows CNYers would have found a way to handle it. Of course.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom