Atlanta hasn't been burned this badly since Sherman | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Atlanta hasn't been burned this badly since Sherman

the best part is McDonald hasn't backed down one bit, and had Shafer's back. He used #softnosed a couple times last night while going back and forth with other twatters

Timonen said:
yep, a thicker skin would have made all the difference for us. again, i don't give a crap about the tweet. he didn't mean any harm by it, clearly didn't get what was actually happening and apologized. fine, done. it's the idiots doubling down acting like it's some cultural southern thing to blame. half of us are northerners! the folks with the biggest problems were interstate truck drivers! so the northerners all failed and the experienced drivers all failed...but god knows CNYers would have found a way to handle it. Of course.

Not handle it. We're world class complainers. We sure wouldn't have gotten bent over a silly joke.

Not handle it. We're world class complainers. We sure wouldn't have gotten bent over a silly joke.
If it took you 7 hours to drive 12 miles and then ditch your car, walk 1/2 mile to friends to sleep, walk home two miles the next morning, run supplies for stranded people all day wed before retrieving car and just now getting word that all your colleagues are back home safe, you just might have been on edge enough to get riled up about a silly joke.

I get there's no bad intent but the questioning of toughness is hard to see.

yep, a thicker skin would have made all the difference for us. again, i don't give a crap about the tweet. he didn't mean any harm by it, clearly didn't get what was actually happening and apologized. fine, done. it's the idiots doubling down acting like it's some cultural southern thing to blame. half of us are northerners! the folks with the biggest problems were interstate truck drivers! so the northerners all failed and the experienced drivers all failed...but god knows CNYers would have found a way to handle it. Of course.
Nobody is saying you should have been able to handle it better. It would be dumb for you to have the equipment to deal with snow and ice. It's inconvenient and it sucks.

You say you don't give a crap about the tweet, but call it a troll tweet. It was a harmless joke and he was busting some balls. The feigned indignation from everyone is a little over the top though. I actually think the FSU guy had the best attitude about the whole thing.

If it took you 7 hours to drive 12 miles and then ditch your car, walk 1/2 mile to friends to sleep, walk home two miles the next morning, run supplies for stranded people all day wed before retrieving car and just now getting word that all your colleagues are back home safe, you just might have been on edge enough to get riled up about a silly joke.

So you (again, not you personally) did all this, then ran online to be outraged about a twitter post by the Syracuse football coach?

Me? I would've caught up some sleep or spent some time with my family. But that's just me.

Other I guess felt compelled to go 56-0 LOL!! after their hard day. Different strokes and all that...

So you (again, not you personally) did all this, then ran online to be outraged about a twitter post by the Syracuse football coach?

Me? I would've caught up some sleep or spent some time with my family. But that's just me.

Other I guess felt compelled to go 56-0 LOL!! after their hard day. Different strokes and all that...
Been working so that's why online. For the millionth time, I wasn't outraged. The chest pumping backing of it and "it's icy here too and we're fine" is what is getting me. No, it's not. In 11 years I experienced a gigantic cross section of Syracuse driving conditions and never missed a beat. This was an entirely different universe of a situation. People just need to trust that and knock it off with the "get over it" and "thin skinned" talk. It's insulting to what millions went through. It's as if someone tried to take over CNY's "winter weather" corner.

Been working so that's why online. For the millionth time, I wasn't outraged. The chest pumping backing of it and "it's icy here too and we're fine" is what is getting me. No, it's not. In 11 years I experienced a gigantic cross section of Syracuse driving conditions and never missed a beat. This was an entirely different universe of a situation. People just need to trust that and knock it off with the "get over it" and "thin skinned" talk. It's insulting to what millions went through. It's as if someone tried to take over CNY's "winter weather" corner.

I specifically said NOT YOU PERSONALLY to not get this response.

I specifically said NOT YOU PERSONALLY to not get this response.
"Not me personally" while explaining what you would have done if you were me as you imagined the scenario? Fantastic.

the tweet was a troll to begin with! good god. you're clueless.
am i clueless because I dont have as many likes as you? seriously though you sound like a whiny baby, millions go through with it every day for six months out of the year, I have a buddy from south carolina originally from upstate NY, said it was laughable what was going on. Get some Thicker skin

Been working so that's why online. For the millionth time, I wasn't outraged.
"Not me personally" while explaining what you would have done if you were me as you imagined the scenario? Fantastic.

According to you, you were on edge enough to get riled up, but not outraged. Why do you think I was talking about you? I was specifically referencing people in a similar scenario that you had then running to their twitter to go "WE BEAT YOU IN FOOTBALL!! LOL!"

Is that you? Did you do that? If you did, you are a dunce. If not, then why are you offended by what I said?

am i clueless because I dont have as many likes as you? seriously though you sound like a whiny baby, millions go through with it every day for six months out of the year, I have a buddy from south carolina originally from upstate NY, said it was laughable what was going on. Get some Thicker skin
Clueless because you think anybody goes through this six months of the year. Despite your assertions, there's no equivalency. It's a shame something completely avoidable happened like this but it did...and over a million drivers and 5 million people were impacted.

According to you, you were on edge enough to get riled up, but not outraged. Why do you think I was talking about you? I was specifically referencing people in a similar scenario that you had then running to their twitter to go "WE BEAT YOU IN FOOTBALL!! LOL!"

Is that you? Did you do that? If you did, you are a dunce. If not, then why are you offended by what I said?
It's insulting, but you judge intent and everything else he's done and it's easy to see he didn't mean to be insulting. Having others pick up on the sentiment and using it as some metric for toughness (after the impact is now universally known) IS insulting. People reacting to his note isn't any reflection on them. They shouldn't have to be answering for themselves. None of this discussion should even be happening. Shafer fd up with the note, caught some flak and apologized. Now you're all keeping the battle going. Let the people who dealt with this have their weather corner. It has nothing to do with syracuse.

Timonen said:
It's insulting, but you judge intent and everything else he's done and it's easy to see he didn't mean to be insulting. Having others pick up on the sentiment and using it as some metric for toughness (after the impact is now universally known) IS insulting. People reacting to his note isn't any reflection on them. They shouldn't have to be answering for themselves. None of this discussion should even be happening. Shafer fd up with the note, caught some flak and apologized. Now you're all keeping the battle going. Let the people who dealt with this have their weather corner. It has nothing to do with syracuse.

It's not about them answering for themselves or some other kind of crap - it was a joke. So last night the announcer takes multiple digs at us and we just take it, because we're used to it. A lifetime worth of storms and ice and hail and all kinds of crap has made us able to take a freaking joke about weather.

Let it go, man. I think you're tough for what you went through! The reaction was and continues to be out if step with the original tweet. It seems fairly insane to me that 2 inches shut down one of the largest cities on the east coast, that was his basis for the weather related jab - that we, again - deal with all the time from southerners.

Clueless because you think anybody goes through this six months of the year. Despite your assertions, there's no equivalency. It's a shame something completely avoidable happened like this but it did...and over a million drivers and 5 million people were impacted.

I was in Dallas for the Packer Super Bowl a couple years back when there was that ice storm. It took us 3 hrs to go 30 miles but we took it slow and got there. The news was a different story though, it had a video feed of a highway and there were people driving in corvettes (in the snow and ice, which is semi understandable because it's usually warm), but they were driving like it was 85 and sunny out. They were sliding all over the place and continued to hit the gas pedal like if they went faster they would be good. So yes, it is quiet comical when you get 2 inches of snow and the whole city comes to a gridlock. It was a harmless joke, which people took way to seriously. People joke about our weather all the time, people get stuck on the thruway occasionally (happened just last year for over 16 hrs). It happens, but we laugh about it and move on. It's what we do.

Tinomen, I'm sorry that my comment sparked this exchange and you've been left defending yourself against a gang of angry Northerners...you strike me as a thoughtful guy. Yes, what I said was juvenile, and yes it was directed at the perceived disdain of Northerners and provincial mentality of those in the South. It's obvious there are miscues and a lot of jumping to conclusions all the way around. I think we agree that Shafer's original tweet was insensitive in hindsight and in poor taste. I was reacting to what I'll maintain is vitriol in some of the responses...whether that strikes at something deeper culturally is at best a sophomoric exercise in debate.

blizz said:
Tinomen, I'm sorry that my comment sparked this exchange and you've been left defending yourself against a gang of angry Northerners...you strike me as a thoughtful guy. Yes, what I said was juvenile, and yes it was directed at the perceived disdain of Northerners and provincial mentality of those in the South. It's obvious there are miscues and a lot of jumping to conclusions all the way around. I think we agree that Shafer's original tweet was insensitive in hindsight and in poor taste. I was reacting to what I'll maintain is vitriol in some of the responses...whether that strikes at something deeper culturally is at best a sophomoric exercise in debate.

Yeah - I'd like to offer an apology. No idea why this got me so riled up. Much respect to you...

Now back to uni talk ;).

No worries. It's a useful debate. I'm a northerner who went as Grant my first Halloween in atl and made fun of everything winter-related down here until 2:30 on Tuesday when I got in the car to leave work (I hadnt even worn a jacket this winter until my walk home wed morning when a friend insisted I take his). I get the sentiment, but that's why I also know that this is a different deal that's got nothing to to with southern mentality or any if that stuff. All good.

snow.jpg

How about all those congress members from GA. who voted no on the Sandy aide. That is a lot more offensive than sitting in traffic vs. having no homes or roads to travel on and it lasted a lot longer than 1 day. Some still haven't received aid.

How about all those congress members from GA. who voted no on the Sandy aide. That is a lot more offensive than sitting in traffic vs. having no homes or roads to travel on and it lasted a lot longer than 1 day. Some still haven't received aid.
They didn't vote for it because it was crammed with pork and earmarked for political graft . It was never intended to help the little people who lost everything.

They didn't vote for it because it was crammed with pork and earmarked for political graft . It was never intended to help the little people who lost everything.

How was that different from what they usually vote on?

but Christie used his for campaign fodder......typical attitudes from the south, worry about my pains and screw everyone else

It appears Atlanta takes their very apparent soft-nosedness very, very seriously.

It's okay south - your so soft you can't take a weather related joke - we get it.

you're

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom