Atlanta hasn't been burned this badly since Sherman | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Atlanta hasn't been burned this badly since Sherman

Another issue that I've seen from my many visits to Atlanta is that they do not have an annual inspection process for vehicles (other than emissions) that would require drivers to replace tires or brakes when they have gone past the point of safety. Every time I drive down there I see a broken down car or shredded tire on the side of the highway every 1/4 mile. Several times I've had to dodge cars that are broken down in the driving lanes.

A large reason that we don't see the nonsense here in NY is that people are required to keep their car in decent shape. All it takes is one dirtbag down there driving on bald tires with a piece of crap car to start a massive pileup or traffic jam.

Yeah on that front.. I just want to note that none of MY posts were in agreement with the sentiment of the tweet. I just thought the faux outrage on twitter and the responses of supposed professional journalists were rather humorous and typical of the latest "Get em, mob!" mentality that's been occurring more and more

Now living in LA, I have much sympathy for traffic disasters and the mental/physical toll it can take on people.

for the record, i didnt have much of an issue with the tweet. And i agree with you in response to it.

My qualms are with the "syracuse fans" in this thread arguing.

Just to illuminate a little, for people that can't believe EVERYONE in Atlanta was trying to leave at the same time...this is what happened...

Schools all opened. Then they all "early-released". If you are a parent, you have got to be there when your kid gets off the bus. You just have to be home. Taking kids into school, parents leaving for work (based on weather reports), and then being told their kids are being released forced everyone on the road at the same time.

City planning, salting the roads, etc, none of that would have made much of a difference the way this went down. The schools screwed this thing by opening school and then releasing them all at the exact same time. It was going to be bad no matter what, but that's what made it a real nightmare.

Again, I'm from Buffalo. I know what I'm doing around weather. It was still a 9 hour experience for me including a 2+mile walk, and I was one of the very lucky ones.

A lot of it was just bad luck, but in my mind the only decision that really screwed everything was the way the schools handled it. My suspicion is that because the schools had already cancelled for "too cold" (which is #softnosed) a week or so ago, the schools were trying to preserve a day off that would otherwise have to be made up for weather cancellations. I think they actually planned to bring them in and early release them, and in the process screwed everyone.

To reiterate, people bristle at the "joke" because it's ridiculing some very trying stuff they went through, and calling them weak after they just muscled through some nasty circumstances. People taking offense aren't wrong.

On the other hand, it's obvious the joke came from ignorance. Not saying stupidity at all, just unaware of the actual nightmare a lot of people went through.

And even then, there's nothing wrong in my mind with a Coach pulling out a heel comment now and then. You can say stuff to make people mad, that's fine. And then it's fine if people get mad.

It doesn't make sense to say "Coach Shafer can't make a joke at other's misfortune" and it doesn't make sense to say "Coach Shafer can make a joke at others' misfortune, but those who experienced that misfortune can't be pissed about it."

Coach Shafer is fully allowed call people who went through this #softnosed to rile up his base, and others are perfectly allowed to point out the success of his teams versus #softnosed schools.

I had to open an account just for this thread. When it comes to snow related weather, Syracuse and Atlanta can't touch this.

Mexico-2.jpg

This is what a snow related emergency looks like in my hometown of Mexico, NY.

Shafer's comment was a joke with no harm intended. I think in the Atlanta situation, the shear size of the city makes it a ridiculous clusterf*ck when something like that happens. I now live in Virginia and understand why they have to shut down when even an inch falls. That said, the winters down here are a cakewalk compared to up north. I wear shorts everyday down here.

Actually, one "they're" and one "their". :)

Yeah we got that figured out above. Pretty funny stuff. That's what I get for being a

Just to illuminate a little, for people that can't believe EVERYONE in Atlanta was trying to leave at the same time...this is what happened...

Schools all opened. Then they all "early-released". If you are a parent, you have got to be there when your kid gets off the bus. You just have to be home. Taking kids into school, parents leaving for work (based on weather reports), and then being told their kids are being released forced everyone on the road at the same time.

City planning, salting the roads, etc, none of that would have made much of a difference the way this went down. The schools screwed this thing by opening school and then releasing them all at the exact same time. It was going to be bad no matter what, but that's what made it a real nightmare.

Again, I'm from Buffalo. I know what I'm doing around weather. It was still a 9 hour experience for me including a 2+mile walk, and I was one of the very lucky ones.

A lot of it was just bad luck, but in my mind the only decision that really screwed everything was the way the schools handled it. My suspicion is that because the schools had already cancelled for "too cold" (which is #softnosed) a week or so ago, the schools were trying to preserve a day off that would otherwise have to be made up for weather cancellations. I think they actually planned to bring them in and early release them, and in the process screwed everyone.

To reiterate, people bristle at the "joke" because it's ridiculing some very trying stuff they went through, and calling them weak after they just muscled through some nasty circumstances. People taking offense aren't wrong.

On the other hand, it's obvious the joke came from ignorance. Not saying stupidity at all, just unaware of the actual nightmare a lot of people went through.

And even then, there's nothing wrong in my mind with a Coach pulling out a heel comment now and then. You can say stuff to make people mad, that's fine. And then it's fine if people get mad.

It doesn't make sense to say "Coach Shafer can't make a joke at other's misfortune" and it doesn't make sense to say "Coach Shafer can make a joke at others' misfortune, but those who experienced that misfortune can't be pissed about it."

Coach Shafer is fully allowed call people who went through this #softnosed to rile up his base, and others are perfectly allowed to point out the success of his teams versus #softnosed schools.

His comment was best made among Cuse fans at a sponsored shindig...not on Twitter for America.
Twitter is horrible for stuff getting blown out of proportion.

Another winter blast is taking aim at the south. Lesson learned evidently. Atlanta has closed schools already
for Tuesday and Wednesday.

Another winter blast is taking aim at the south. Lesson learned evidently. Atlanta has closed schools already
for Tuesday and Wednesday.
We got in the car and drove to Disney. Happy to not deal with it however it falls out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom