Bailey article-Syracuse football offense used 1 cadence all of last season | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Bailey article-Syracuse football offense used 1 cadence all of last season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everybody is completely forgetting what the main premise of McDonald's offense was, maximum speed. Didn't work, but, his goal was to snap the ball in "x" amount of seconds. And the always go on 1, is a misnomer. Position groups were getting signals from the sidelines. QB would clap or say a hot word for everyone to be set and then the ball would be snapped.

Now Lester staying with it when he took over, his decision to try to stick with the offense installed, and, it's theories. Didn't work, he's now changed it.

If you really want to know exactly how it was structured I'll go dig out my notes from McDonald's chalk talk sessions, but, I'd rather let a sleeping dog lie.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/index.ssf/2015/07/syracuse_football_offense_cadence.html

How is that possible? I mean how couldn't our OL coach freaking teach the kids not to jump offsides. Especially at home where there wouldn't be crowd noise? I give Lester credit(see TheCusian I do it when its deserved) for fixing this problem this offseason, but how the hell couldn't they fix this during the season last year. I know we had injuries but sorry D-1 OL should be able to practice this and fix it. This stuff is scary.
This is what happens when you hire an unqualified person as your OC. Based on the quotes, players and coaches had no respect or confidence in what McDonald tried to do.

I don't know if Lester is going to be successful or not, and I don't know that it was a good decision to talk about this openly in front of the press, but I do know I am really glad McDonald is no longer here.

What a disaster.

On the count of one we're throwing a bubble screen - now break.
"Wait, let's run the Bubble Screen on the count of two ... that'll throw 'em off".

If this was such a major deal, how is it no one, not one single person, on this board figured it out before this article?

The offensive coordinator just said that defensive linemen figured it out during games. So I'm not sure where fans noticing on TV would rank, but definitely behind opposing DL.

Unless of course, he was misquoted when he said that.

My question is whether or not this wide ranging interview will ever be released in full or if we'll just keep getting an article here or there where we can't tell if our journalist knows what he heard or not.

The offensive coordinator just said that defensive linemen figured it out during games. So I'm not sure where fans noticing on TV would rank, but definitely behind opposing DL.

Unless of course, he was misquoted when he said that.

My question is whether or not this wide ranging interview will ever be released in full or if we'll just keep getting an article here or there where we can't tell if our journalist knows what he heard or not.

Forget TV, I'm talking about the guys sitting at the 50. We have guys one here who analyze every single play, down and distance, play call, angle of a pass, and nobody picked up on this. Yeah he said teams were picking up on it but it clearly wasn't so noticeable that the fanbase saw the DL jumping the snap all of the time or anything like that.

Forget TV, I'm talking about the guys sitting at the 50. We have guys one here who analyze every single play, down and distance, play call, angle of a pass, and nobody picked up on this. Yeah he said teams were picking up on it but it clearly wasn't so noticeable that the fanbase saw the DL jumping the snap all of the time or anything like that.

Hmmm...

Bailey is a print journalist, not a radio show host. He most likely recorded the whole interview, or at least took thorough notes by hand. But it's not going to be released to the public, and it doesn't need to be. Especially to make a fan base feel better about a mediocre coaching staff.

If Bailey misunderstood what Lester had said, the PS would have been forced to correct it by now- Either by taking down the article or running a lengthy correction. Sue's office would have been all over it if the article was wrong.

It's not like Bailey went rogue here- He has editors. If Lester told him something Bailey built an entire article around, there was no misunderstanding.

If this was such a major deal, how is it no one, not one single person, on this board figured it out before this article?
until my tv allows me to hear cadance and snap count, i have to go on the assumption that a D1 P5 program is sophisticated enough to have the ability to at least go on 2 different ones.

apparently, that was not the case and i would imagine it would take the enemy DC or the players on D about 1 qtr to figure it out.

So we have gone from one person bringing up Marrone's faults to now why didn't us the fans and paying customers not figure this out and say something.

Millhouse may go a little over with all the stats he produces but he is not on the coaching staff or being paid by Syracuse FB.

Honestly after the crap show that was last year I doubt anyone wants to watch those games again and see if this could be seen on film. I am guessing since Lester said he saw it then it would be there. If someone on here said what Lester we would likely see the same people saying you people are crazy and have it against the coaches and deny it.

This offensive staff HAS A LOT to prove having faith is good. We need balance in our fanbase. I have no problem with idealists but they have to realize legit criticism is okay and this staff leaves a lot of doubt for some including me.

until my tv allows me to hear cadance and snap count, i have to go on the assumption that a D1 P5 program is sophisticated enough to have the ability to at least go on 2 different ones.

apparently, that was not the case and i would imagine it would take the enemy DC or the players on D about 1 qtr to figure it out.
It is our responsibility as fans to figure this out Kaiser.

Stupid rule that says it's a false start if the center bobs his head. Take that rule away, and we'd probably be able to catch these.

One of the weirder parts of that article, is that it almost implies that Shafer didn't know.

How would a fan know? Seriously, can people hear the cadence in the Dome? I know our crowds have dwindled, but not to the point where fans can hear the pre-snap cadence, right?

It is our responsibility as fans to figure this out Kaiser.
Give me a break. Like extremism much? Responsibility? No. But if it was such a big deal, somebody on this board would have noticed the DL getting the jump on our guys. Nobody did. Now it's getting fixed. I'm much more concerned about Hunt's accuracy, depth on the DL, and experience in the secondary than I am cadence but it seems some people will jump at any chance to bash the staff.

How would a fan know? Seriously, can people hear the cadence in the Dome? I know our crowds have dwindled, but not to the point where fans can hear the pre-snap cadence, right?

Fans have eyeballs right? If the opposing D was getting the jump on our guys, somebody would have seen it. Nobody noticed because it clearly wasn't as big of a deal as some are making it.

Give me a break. Like extremism much? Responsibility? No. But if it was such a big deal, somebody on this board would have noticed the DL getting the jump on our guys. Nobody did. Now it's getting fixed. I'm much more concerned about Hunt's accuracy, depth on the DL, and experience in the secondary than I am cadence but it seems some people will jump at any chance to bash the staff.
Some seem to be a bit upset that you called them out...

Fans have eyeballs right? If the opposing D was getting the jump on our guys, somebody would have seen it. Nobody noticed because it clearly wasn't as big of a deal as some are making it.
NUTS

I've told this story before. It was during the NC State game last year. They'd been pushing our O-Line around all day.

It was third down, and for some reason, my eyes keyed in on one of their defensive tackles. I think Miller was playing Center and Emerich was playing Right Guard. I was expecting the tackle to blow up either one of our linemen. Expect it was worse. Miller went left, Emerich went right, the DT split them untouched and caused a big loss on whatever crappy play we were running.

Some seem to be a bit upset that you called them out...
Sir I have no problem being called out. I am not always right and have no problem with people disagreeing with me. I just expect the opinion to not be something silly. Fans are not paid the fans pay for the coaches. If somebody criticized Jim Boeheim for saying he can't teach a zone defense I would be among the choiring defend him. Why? Jim Boeheim has earned the fanbase's trust(except for Igor)

This staff has not shown in 2 years it can run a college offense. SS knows defense, but sorry I am not going to let people try and put on the fans they should pickup the freaking cadence to have an opinion what our OC said was stupid.

Maybe because some believe this staff should be gone. This staff was hired to continue the momentum not take a step back. Some believe this coach only hires people from the band. If you make an investment and feel the investment is bad you cut the cord, if I believed truly this staff wasn't that bad and could turn it around I wouldn't feel the way I do. Every year we keep this staff it sets the next staff back 2 years IMO. I want to win games I just think this staff isn't going to win games to be anything better than mediocre.

Now because this article comes out and the OC either is being taken out of context or makes his OL coach look horrible means that the fans must have seen that we only had 1 cadence to be upset?

Maybe because some believe this staff should be gone. This staff was hired to continue the momentum not take a step back. Some believe this coach only hires people from the band. If you make an investment and feel the investment is bad you cut the cord, if I believed truly this staff wasn't that bad and could turn it around I wouldn't feel the way I do. Every year we keep this staff it sets the next staff back 2 years IMO. I want to win games I just think this staff isn't going to win games to be anything better than mediocre.

Now because this article comes out and the OC either is being taken out of context or makes his OL coach look horrible means that the fans must have seen that we only had 1 cadence to be upset?

Imagine if a story like this came out for a team that has more than eleventeen fans.

Say, a team in the deep south.

The internet would break, Finebaum's caller board would explode. Gameday would run a segment.

In the midst of all of that, I wonder if they'd question why the fans didn't notice it sooner.

i dont think anyone caught on from watching the games -well because it was so danm hard to watch we were cringing or covering our eyes on 99.9999999999999% of offensive plays- the rest we were peeing

this is a perfect example of how deep in the woods the excuse hounds will hunt- they went so deep for this one they had to have passed a Sasquatch or 2

Status
Not open for further replies.