BC fires Addazio / hires Jeff Hafley | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

BC fires Addazio / hires Jeff Hafley

Eh, we made 3 in 4 years not too long ago. Could've been 4 for 4 with one more win.

We can be as mediocre as Addazio, don't worry.

I don't care much for 6-6 type bowl games, I certainly don't care about the 15 practices as teams don't practice very hard much anymore and seeing the two best teams we have had in the past 18 years both came off a losing seasons, I am not really worried about the extra practices. I also believe when we have good seniors we will have a good team, when we don't we probably won't.

Honestly, outside of Penn State, very few fans care about their college programs in the Northeast.
The problem with the Northeast is that it doesn’t get the non alums fans that teams in the South get.

State pride matters to those schools because they are the primary team.
Syracuse hoops benefit from this effect but the football team has sucked for so long it killed the coolness of the football team. The basketball team and it’s poor product are slowing having the same results but the brand is stronger because of 2 Final Fours this decade.

If Syracuse was turning out 8-4 seasons consistently the Dome would get attendance. The same can’t be said for Boston College because they will never get the locals on board it will always rely on alumni to fill their stadium.
Whereas Syracuse can get non alumni fans.

They kicked our butts. Don't understand this move at all. When you look at their stadium and pathetic attendance it looks like he has done a great job keeping them competitive in a difficult north east environment for recruiting.

If I were BC I would hire the UB or Army coach. I have a feeling they are going to wind up trying to hire either a Boston guy or an alumni to try and drum up interest. I hate hiring hot coordinators from factories for any P5 HC job unless they already know the demographics

i think the bowl means more to kids when they get to go to nice places than it does to just practice and play games. if you are going to the bigger bowls and play against better teams i think that does matter, but since that only happens to about 20 teams anything else is just a reward more than it helps the next yr.

Interesting and disturbing. Josh is a local, small school kid (Chatham, NY). I never heard anyone who questioned his character growing up here or during his BC years. FWIW, I don't see the Dazzler at SU because his meathead style and Dino's philosophy are a terrible match.

This team is in need of some meathead coaches. We are soft and undisciplined. I would welcome the Dazzler with open arms if I was Dino.

I don't care much for 6-6 type bowl games, I certainly don't care about the 15 practices as teams don't practice very hard much anymore and seeing the two best teams we have had in the past 18 years both came off a losing seasons, I am not really worried about the extra practices. I also believe when we have good seniors we will have a good team, when we don't we probably won't.
Disagree 100% on the practices. Think how much more can be accomplished by a perennial Bowl team with 60 extra practices vs a team that fails to go bowling in a four year period. Not to mention it is nice to allow potential recruits see the team in action during December visits.

I'd like to add this on Addazio. Florida fans did not like him whatsoever as their OC. He recruited well but his play calling was droneish.

Disagree 100% on the practices. Think how much more can be accomplished by a perennial Bowl team with 60 extra practices vs a team that fails to go bowling in a four year period. Not to mention it is nice to allow potential recruits see the team in action during December visits.

Didn't help this year and Dino has been here for 4 years now, kids know the system and the plan

Didn't hurt either. Unless you can show me the injuries on our OL/DL are traced back to the 15 practices last December.

Right and that's why it is no big deal. Take it or leave it. It's dumb coach speak., they say it because the guy before them did..

Didn't hurt either. Unless you can show me the injuries on our OL/DL are traced back to the 15 practices last December.

I'll be honest, I'd rather have Dino/staff out recruiting like madmen instead of those 15 practices.

That said, I love the bowl games for the players as they get to experience a different type of game, even a 6-6 team.

I'd like to add this on Addazio. Florida fans did not like him whatsoever as their OC. He recruited well but his play calling was droneish.

He is a good recruiter. Offense play calling isn’t his strength. He instills toughness and helps build character.

I'll be honest, I'd rather have Dino/staff out recruiting like madmen instead of those 15 practices.

That said, I love the bowl games for the players as they get to experience a different type of game, even a 6-6 team.

Bowl trips help you in recruiting. Losing seasons don’t.

He is a good recruiter. Offense play calling isn’t his strength. He instills toughness and helps build character.

I agree he's a perfect OL/TE coach and if any school can get him to do just that they will be in very good shape.

I agree that the team lacks the discipline and toughness that we'd all like to see, but I am doubtful that the answer is the Dazzler.

Addazio isn’t coming to SU. So don’t worry. He’d be an odd mix with Dino. I could almost see Addazio move onto the NFL.

Right and that's why it is no big deal. Take it or leave it. It's dumb coach speak., they say it because the guy before them did..
We will agree to disagree. It helps recruiting and it helps younger guys in the program get more experience and gain comfort in the system.

Temple’s strategy is different. They make money on every buyout and the. Effectively reinvest. BC (and Rutty) lose a ton when they make a move like this. They’re looking for lifers to win there forever which is much higher stakes and much more difficult.

They continue to have to rehire new coaches when they lose their coach and they have a pretty good success rate doing that. So my only point is, if temple can lose people not on their terms, BC can find someone better than they had, too. There are lots of good coaches out there.

Last edited:
And tries to trash your career if you don't agree with him.

With that stuff coming out about him, his next role will be TV or a consultant.

Yeah that's going to leave a mark. Dino just has to go out and find what he needs for his staff. At this point, he should know. I highly highly doubt its the Dazzler in any capcity.

9 times out of 10 these hires are guys that we have never discussed who have been hired and fired like every other coach in America and aren't very exciting

Yeah that's going to leave a mark. Dino just has to go out and find what he needs for his staff. At this point, he should know. I highly highly doubt its the Dazzler in any capcity.

9 times out of 10 these hires are guys that we have never discussed who have been hired and fired like every other coach in America and aren't very exciting

No way the Daz would ever be considered, by either side.
90% is probably to low of an estimate with these types of hires. I will trust Dino,