BC is bowling | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

BC is bowling

Duke played a home and home with Alabama just a few years ago.

And neither Duke nor NC State has been to a BCS-level bowl game in the past half-century. When is that strategy going to pay off for them?

Duke played in the ACC championship a couple years ago. They're a lot closer than we are right now. We haven't played in a BCS bowl in almost 20 years, and that was an entirely different era and situation. It's not the 90s, we can't schedule like we did back then right now.

Duke played in the ACC championship a couple years ago. They're a lot closer than we are right now. We haven't played in a BCS bowl in almost 20 years, and that was an entirely different era and situation. It's not the 90s, we can't schedule like we did back then right now.
Tough to play in a BCS bowl now as the BCS doesn't exist anymore.

Tough to play in a BCS bowl now as the BCS doesn't exist anymore.

I think the point is, if you ever want to play in a New Year's Day Bowl again, you need that one quality OOC opponent. That's how the computer rankings are set up. You need a worthy intersectional opponent to measure yourself against.

I strongly disagree. I think attendance is poor because we are losing, but it won't get better by playing nobodies. People are not going to buy season tickets for a crappy home schedule. The ACC schedule boosted us the first year, but they have to rebalance the divisions. Having the 3 best teams on 1 side is awful. Yes, we have to build back up, but to do it playing a BC / Rutgers / Va Tech schedule won't get fannies back in the seats.

You are right, attendance is poor because we are losing. It will get better when we schedule for success and having a winning record.

Crappy home schedule? It featured 2 top 10 teams (Louisville and Florida State) as well as old rival Virginia Tech who was ranked all year and will be playing in the ACC Championship game.

So to recap, home schedule featuring Louisville, Florida State, Virginia Tech, NC State and South Florida isn’t good enough to get fannies in the seats? lol. Did you go to any games ?

Last edited:
I think the point is, if you ever want to play in a New Year's Day Bowl again, you need that one quality OOC opponent. That's how the computer rankings are set up. You need a worthy intersectional opponent to measure yourself against.

Not true. You need to go 9-3 to play in January. It's not about who your OOC opponent is unless you're vying for the playoff.

Our conference is a lot harder now than it was from 2004-2012. We get cracks at Clemson, Florida State, and Louisville every year now as well as teams like Virginia Tech and Miami on occasion.

But that's part of playing in a P5 conference. If we were in the Big Ten or the SEC or the Pac-12, we would also have to play 3-4 teams the caliber of Clemson/FSU/Louisville/VT. There is nothing uniquely difficult about the ACC.

Sagarin has the ACC Atlantic as the 6th most difficult division:

1 SEC-WEST (A) = 83.67 84.56 ( 1) 7 83.98 ( 1)
2 PAC-12(NORTH) (A) = 78.88 79.46 ( 2) 6 79.20 ( 2)
3 BIG TEN-EAST (A) = 77.93 78.52 ( 3) 7 77.95 ( 3)
4 PAC-12(SOUTH) (A) = 77.72 77.55 ( 4) 6 77.60 ( 4)
5 ACC-COASTAL (A) = 77.43 76.29 ( 6) 7 76.70 ( 6)
6 ACC-ATLANTIC (A) = 76.96 77.41 ( 5) 7 77.16 ( 5)

Last edited:
If we beat the 4 OOC (1 FCS, 2 Non-P5, 1 low P5) and win one of Clemson/FSU, throw in a weird loss to a peer school like NC State - we have 2 losses and are either playing in a New Years day bowl or close... against... wait for it... a P5 marquee team in a warm locale. Added bowl practices, added punch on recruiting, added perception, etc. Duke is the perfect example of this and is our road to follow.

Duke played a home and home with Alabama just a few years ago.

And neither Duke nor NC State has been to a BCS-level bowl game in the past half-century. When is that strategy going to pay off for them?

C'mon. Duke played in the ACC championship game and they have gone from the 13th rated class in the ACC this year to the 5th last year - and the 7th this year.

Rome doesn't get built in a day. We're at the bottom. The goal is to get to the middle over the next two years with some momentum for a shot at the division and then? Playing teams with top 20 recruiting classes when we don't have to is d-u-m-b.

Agreed. But we are way off from that.

I'm not arguing that we should never play those teams OOC. I'm arguing that it makes more sense to pause it to build some momentum.

(As for attendance, one OOC game shouldn't be pushing it over the top for season tickets. I'd happily watch us beat Rutgers or Kansas a few years if it meant being more competitive with Clemson and FSU. And I'd bet a lot of other people would to.)

But that's part of playing in a P5 conference. If we were in the Big Ten or the SEC or the Pac-12, we would also have to play 3-4 teams the caliber of Clemson/FSU/Louisville/VT. There is nothing uniquely difficult about the ACC.

Sagarin has the ACC Atlantic as the 6th most difficult division:

1 SEC-WEST (A) = 83.67 84.56 ( 1) 7 83.98 ( 1)
2 PAC-12(NORTH) (A) = 78.88 79.46 ( 2) 6 79.20 ( 2)
3 BIG TEN-EAST (A) = 77.93 78.52 ( 3) 7 77.95 ( 3)
4 PAC-12(SOUTH) (A) = 77.72 77.55 ( 4) 6 77.60 ( 4)
5 ACC-COASTAL (A) = 77.43 76.29 ( 6) 7 76.70 ( 6)
6 ACC-ATLANTIC (A) = 76.96 77.41 ( 5) 7 77.16 ( 5)

I guess my point is we're not in the depleted version of the Big East anymore, where the league was pretty weak. With the current P5 conference all being fairly stacked, most of those P5 teams schedule pretty lightly in the OOC.

Yup. We've been to 4 bowls since 2001, but yeah, let's scoff at the lower level bowls and the value of going to them.

hey, that 1984 Nebraska win? I hear all the good high school recruits talking about it.

And then what?

Depending on the outcome, you forecast it out from there. Still bottom-dwelling, maybe in search of a coach, recruiting didn't get better like we thought - keep a low P5 in that slot. Looking up? Beat FSU or Clemson? Recruiting in the mid 30's? Get a traditional meat head name school on the schedule for a home and home.

This is not as difficult as you're making it out to be.

I guess my point is we're not in the depleted version of the Big East anymore, where the league was pretty weak. With the current P5 conference all being fairly stacked, most of those P5 teams schedule pretty lightly in the OOC.

To your point: in 2010 our SOS was #72 we went bowling and everyone says "Marrone is a good coach, they are headed in the right direction"... This year our SOS was #24 and ND had a down year.

We need to stop scheduling like we're in the Big East.

BC is 6-6 and going bowling.

It happens.

Strong Syracuse connection - Reggie Terry, Jim Reid, Brian White, Addazio and Pasqualoni.

Good for them.

We'd die for a bowl game right now. Don't kid yourself.

Getting blown out at a prestigious stadium does us no good. We've been there, done that. But keep telling yourself it's okay.

Getting blown out at any bowl game is overrated.

After a month off, good teams often lose badly in bowl games - see Clemson v. WVU a few years ago.

It just doesn't mean all that much. That's why the 2004 Champs Bowl loss to Ga Tech was way overblown - prompting on overreaction by the University.

Bowl games are good - the kids get a trip and gifts and some fun.

And the coaches get 15 practices to begin work on the next season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom