BC is bowling | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

BC is bowling

There's a hypothesis throughout this thread that high school recruits are attracted to teams playing in low-level bowl games. I would be interested in knowing what the results would be if you quizzed high level high school recruits on which teams went 5-7 last year and which teams went 6-6 and snuck into a bowl game. I bet many would fail, as would many on this board.
Yep.

Not a kid out there I know of that cares about a 6-6 team making the "Kraft Fight Hunger" bowl.

Exactly. If you run into an SU fan at a bar and you start reminiscing about old games, you're almost certainly going to talk about 1984 Nebraska or 1987 Penn State or 1991 Florida or 1998 Michigan. Is the 1999 Music City Bowl against Kentucky really going to come up?

The regular season in college football matters in and of itself. In all other sports, the regular season is just a means to an end, to get you to the postseason. College football is so unique in that regard, in that individual regular season games can be remembered forever.

The Kansas State fans in my area seem to have plenty of memories to talk about even though Snyder built their program in part by the way he scheduled non conference.

the house is half empty anyways.

The average fan which is the majority of them only see the record and think oh wow Syracuse is good this year nobody cares who they're playing

I strongly disagree. I think attendance is poor because we are losing, but it won't get better by playing nobodies. People are not going to buy season tickets for a crappy home schedule. The ACC schedule boosted us the first year, but they have to rebalance the divisions. Having the 3 best teams on 1 side is awful. Yes, we have to build back up, but to do it playing a BC / Rutgers / Va Tech schedule won't get fannies back in the seats.

Our initial comeback to relevance had its start in the 1984 upset of #1 Nebraska. Our biggest wins in the history of the program have been OOC upsets. You have to have one of those games on your schedule or else you never really get back to where you used to be.

Just beat FSU or Clemson. Why does it have to be OOC?

I strongly disagree. I think attendance is poor because we are losing, but it won't get better by playing nobodies. People are not going to buy season tickets for a crappy home schedule. The ACC schedule boosted us the first year, but they have to rebalance the divisions. Having the 3 best teams on 1 side is awful. Yes, we have to build back up, but to do it playing a BC / Rutgers / Va Tech schedule won't get fannies back in the seats.

Give me the ACC slate. A few top 25 teams a year should be good enough until we're good enough.

Besides - if we beat everyone not named FSU and Clemson in our division and win out the OOC - that will be more than enough to get people involved.

Just win. Build momentum. Get cute later.

Meanwhile, Herm and the AD scheduling department (staff of 27). Are working on a multi-year series with Alabama, Ohio State, and Texas A&M. You know, cause we gotta play the best of the best of the best...branding and all that stuff thats too complicated to explain.

Meanwhile, Herm and the AD scheduling department (staff of 27). Are working on a multi-year series with Alabama, Ohio State, and Texas A&M. You know, cause we gotta play the best of the best of the best...branding and all that stuff thats too complicated to explain.

Beats re-newing my season tickets so I can watch SU play Umass, Kent St, & Wagner.

You don't enjoy traveling to SU away games in exciting new venues?
To watch another marauding by a team that makes my team look like they dont belong on the same field? Yeah, I'll pass.

All you chest-pounders on here haven't read your Sun-Tzu: "when you are outmatched, evade"

To watch another marauding by a team that makes my team look like they dont belong on the same field? Yeah, I'll pass.

All you chest-pounders on here haven't read your Sun-Tzu: "when you are outmatched, evade"

Who's pounding their chest? It's a simple debate about what means more, making a third tier bowl, or playing a big name program?

"Get the sand out of your vagina." - Shrmdougluvr

AND a top 5 Clemson/FSU, and the other ACC teams.

Yep and people won't show up for those good ACC teams if we are doing lousy, and with our dumb OOC schedule we are setting ourselves up to do lousy...

You have to have at least one quality OOC game that TV commentators will care about. You have to play and beat good teams to get back to relevance.
The SEC doesn't, why should we?

Who's pounding their chest? It's a simple debate about what means more, making a third tier bowl, or playing a big name program?

"Get the sand out of your vagina." - Shrmdougluvr

Yep. And the fact that it's a debate is dumb. Marquee OOC loss <<<<<<<<< Any Bowl Win in terms of recruiting, momentum, and perception. The only thing the marquee OOC loss does is get a very small minority of fans to their bucket list CFB stadiums or a marginally smaller amount to buy season tickets.

I'd bet a lot that a winning team would generate more season tickets than a game with LSU.

Another marauding? We took a Top 10 LSU team deep into the 4th quarter last year with a walk-on QB starting.

Yep. And the fact that it's a debate is dumb. Marquee OOC loss <<<<<<<<< Any Bowl Win in terms of recruiting, momentum, and perception. The only thing the marquee OOC loss does is get a very small minority of fans to their bucket list CFB stadiums or a marginally smaller amount to buy season tickets.

I'd bet a lot that a winning team would generate more season tickets than a game with LSU.

What's our perception. In 2010, 2012 and 2013, we won bowl games. What kind of jump in recruiting did we have? Jump in perception? Jump in level of play? From 2005-2014 Rutgers played in 9 bowl games (all third tier but one). What is the perception of that program? They are best known for having a scumbag coach who flamed out in the NFL, and cant get a sniff at the college level.

And the original post in this thread had to do with BC this season. Why dont we just put a moratorium on posting any further in this thread and see how they do next year? What the perception of that program is this time next year (cause right now, we are universally in agreement they are dogshit)?

In the meantime, i think many of us will be enjoying the road trip to Baton Rouge, and the players will be relishing the opportunity to knock off one of the titans of this sport in as hostile a place as can be found.

What's our perception. In 2010, 2012 and 2013, we won bowl games. What kind of jump in recruiting did we have? Jump in perception? Jump in level of play? From 2005-2014 Rutgers played in 9 bowl games (all third tier but one). What is the perception of that program? They are best known for having a scumbag coach who flamed out in the NFL, and cant get a sniff at the college level.

And the original post in this thread had to do with BC this season. Why dont we just put a moratorium on posting any further in this thread and see how they do next year? What the perception of that program is this time next year (cause right now, we are universally in agreement they are dogshit)?

In the meantime, i think many of us will be enjoying the road trip to Baton Rouge, and the players will be relishing the opportunity to knock off one of the titans of this sport in as hostile a place as can be found.

Sigh.

The perception of BC will be that they had a better year than us. They will go into the offseason and into next season saying they went bowling and we didn't.

Wake will get ranked ahead of us for the same reasons.

NC State and Duke have both built up their recruiting while feasting on lesser teams for years.

After a few years of a *slightly* less challenging OOC, dial up a marquee game again.

I personally love facing marquee teams. But I'm not sure losing seasons are helping the staff on the recruiting trail.

After we lose to LSU, people will talk about how much bigger and faster they are and the problems with recruiting. Just like after ND this year, LSU last year, etc etc.

You might add UConn to that list. Let's not forget they played in some no-name bowl last year, returned virtually everyone, and then put up the stinker of a season that just ended with a blowout loss at home to Tulane.

That certainly wasn't because of non-conference scheduling.

If Shafer played UCONN instead of LSU and we go bowling? Not so sure.

That's the other hidden danger in scheduling marquee teams: you'd better not use bowl games as a metric in evaluation. "We know recruiting to Syracuse is difficult, and we add top ten teams to your OOC when you already play 2-3 every year - but dang it - we expect bowl games (i.e. .500 or above) every year or you're fired"... it's like here you get to fight 12 dudes, most of whom are bigger than you, and as an added bonus here's a boxing pro - also we going to tie your left hand behind your back.

Another marauding? We took a Top 10 LSU team deep into the 4th quarter last year with a walk-on QB starting.

Exactly! We beat Auburn in 2001, and played them to overtime down there in 2002. We beat West Virginia under Doug after they have moved to the Big 12. We beat Notre Dame twice - in 2004 and 2008. We beat Missouri in 2012, Illinois in 2006. We nearly beat Florida State in 2003. Those games mean more to most fans, in my opinion. And that's not going back to the glory days of the 80s and 90s.

NC State and Duke have both built up their recruiting while feasting on lesser teams for years.

Duke played a home and home with Alabama just a few years ago.

And neither Duke nor NC State has been to a BCS-level bowl game in the past half-century. When is that strategy going to pay off for them?

I've never been a D-1 football recruit, so I honestly dont know the impact of a third tier bowl appearance.

Most of these kids come from poor or low income family's and any bowl is a free vacation for them. So they love it. Even if it's a bowl up north in the cold, it's a week where they are treated like kings, they eat like kings, and they are the center of attention in whatever city the game is played.

It matters to them! Especially the one's who come from nothing and have never had a "real vacation" before in their life.

Exactly! We beat Auburn in 2001, and played them to overtime down there in 2002. We beat West Virginia under Doug after they have moved to the Big 12. We beat Notre Dame twice - in 2004 and 2008. We beat Missouri in 2012, Illinois in 2006. We nearly beat Florida State in 2003. Those games mean more to most fans, in my opinion. And that's not going back to the glory days of the 80s and 90s.

Our conference is a lot harder now than it was from 2004-2012. We get cracks at Clemson, Florida State, and Louisville every year now as well as teams like Virginia Tech and Miami on occasion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom