BC is bowling | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

BC is bowling

In three months or so there going to get a whole spring practice to do that. Soneobe who is 4th string isnt seeing the field next yeat anyway unless they were redshirting

so those kids get 2 spring practices, I'm sure it doesn't help at all though.

It's about the scout teamers and young kids. The future.

It's not exactly a gauntlet - we play good teams, and we play crappy teams like Wake and State (who BC was able to beat but we weren't).

I think the scheduling complaints will die down once Dino gets better players and we're able to beat 75% of the schedule reliably and consistently.

State ain't crappy. They pushed unc all over the field yesterday

It's Idi Amin. Idi Amin - Wikipedia

He was a straight-up evil, horrible dude. I feel guilty posting it, but I belly laugh every time i see this gif. :noidea:

Just an aside - I used to work with an engineering professor from Afghanistan originally who worked for the UN for some time - he met Yuri Gagarin and Idi Amin among others. I read that Amin was an admirer of Hitler and my former associate told me Amin had refrigerators with the heads of his political opponents in the freezer sections! Yuck.

I would rather get the 15 extra practices and the bowl

What would 15 extra practices do for this defense? if its a talent issue and not scheme issue then i dont get it. on the offensive side , we know what we have in mahoney and ED cant play . What's the value of more practice ?

It would allow Culpeper 15 practices to run this o

JeremyCuse said:
Its by far the most overrated aspect of a team making a bowl game. I never understood how 15 practices in December made one iota of difference 9+ months later with a quarter if the team gone to graduation

Getting 15 more practices for this team would be huge. Dino has said this will turn around when the players stop thinking and just react. How do we get to that point? I would think more practice time and more games.

It didn't help much in 2010 and 2013.

You don't know that. And what he said was it allows the coaches to be able to teach the young kids technique, something they don't get to do during the season. I'm sure it helps, how could it not.

Heck, why even have spring practice if 15 practices doesn't help?

Last edited:
We were 5-2 in 2011. Ran out of gas and depth ... Wheels fell off.

Made a bowl in 2013, first season in ACC

Since then lack of ACC quality depth and continuity have derailed the program

For how many years? We won 6-8 games and a bowl game in 2010, 2012 and 2013, but you said that isn't enough. Are we talking like a decade? Are elderly SU fans out of luck?

The difference is that our schedule now has built in powerhouses. You adjust to that by dropping a marquee game from the non-conference.

2010: our SoS was in the 100's with 2 FCS teams but all anyone remembers was playing KState in NY. Even elderly SU fans ;).

The difference is that our schedule now has built in powerhouses. You adjust to that by dropping a marquee game from the non-conference.

2010: our SoS was in the 100's with 2 FCS teams but all anyone remembers was playing KState in NY. Even elderly SU fans ;).

I can't tell if you're dodging my extremely simple and straightforward question on purpose. How many years would we have to win 6-8 games before you would be ready to play big-time teams?

I can't tell if you're dodging my extremely simple and straightforward question on purpose. How many years would we have to win 6-8 games before you would be ready to play big-time teams?

Not dodging at all. Given the complexity and how far out these things need to be scheduled - along with the current trajectory? I'd replace that one marquee game with a low P5 (peer) for the two years following the Wisc year. Can't do anything with LSU next year or Wisc games.

The truth is that scheduling currently favors the marquee top P5 teams who schedule way out knowing that it's unlikely that their talent will drop off. Low P5 teams like us (currently) benefit from not filling up the schedule and being more flexible. But then we get squeezed into matchups we don't like. It will never happen - but I would love a moratorium on scheduling anything farther out than 3 years.

Sign a long term contract with Buffalo. 10 games. 6 in Syracuse, 4 in Buffalo.
Sign a long term contract with UMass 10 games 6 in Syracuse, 4 in Foxboro opposite years we play at BC.

These series would take care of OOC scheduling log jams. Then we have the 1-AA opponent and our P5 team to schedule.

Wildhack wants to schedule more games with Rutgers, Maryland, UConn and Army.

So don't be disappointed.

I think that's great. But I also don't think that scheduling an LSU or Wisconsin every few years is a bad thing either.

Okay ... F it. Make all of our out of conference games SEC opponents, in addition to Clemson, FSU and Loisville. That'll make us more desirable to recruits.

You have to have at least one quality OOC game that TV commentators will care about. You have to play and beat good teams to get back to relevance.

Winning is more entertaining and it builds towards a more exciting future.

I'd rather build to it than sacrifice future seasons.

Winning against marginal teams is about as fun as watching SU hoops non-conference games in the Dome in December to a half-empty house.

You have to have at least one quality OOC game that TV commentators will care about. You have to play and beat good teams to get back to relevance.

I don't think we need a quality OOC - give me a low P5 for a few years. We play good teams every year in conference.

That's because our expectations for basketball are in line with championship aspirations. It makes no sense for our football team - right now.

Our initial comeback to relevance had its start in the 1984 upset of #1 Nebraska. Our biggest wins in the history of the program have been OOC upsets. You have to have one of those games on your schedule or else you never really get back to where you used to be.

Our initial comeback to relevance had its start in the 1984 upset of #1 Nebraska. Our biggest wins in the history of the program have been OOC upsets. You have to have one of those games on your schedule or else you never really get back to where you used to be.

Exactly. If you run into an SU fan at a bar and you start reminiscing about old games, you're almost certainly going to talk about 1984 Nebraska or 1987 Penn State or 1991 Florida or 1998 Michigan. Is the 1999 Music City Bowl against Kentucky really going to come up?

The regular season in college football matters in and of itself. In all other sports, the regular season is just a means to an end, to get you to the postseason. College football is so unique in that regard, in that individual regular season games can be remembered forever.

Winning against marginal teams is about as fun as watching SU hoops non-conference games in the Dome in December to a half-empty house.

the house is half empty anyways.

The average fan which is the majority of them only see the record and think oh wow Syracuse is good this year nobody cares who they're playing

You have to have at least one quality OOC game that TV commentators will care about.

There's a hypothesis throughout this thread that high school recruits are attracted to teams playing in low-level bowl games. I would be interested in knowing what the results would be if you quizzed high level high school recruits on which teams went 5-7 last year and which teams went 6-6 and snuck into a bowl game. I bet many would fail, as would many on this board.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom