BC postgame thoughts | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

BC postgame thoughts

I wish Judah would bring the ball up quicker. He reminds me of how slow Frank was. He's been taking 6 to 8 seconds to get the ball to mid court and then a few more seconds before his first pass. He's fun to watch for the most part, but that aspect of his game drives me nuts.

Yes, he prefers to do it himself off the dribble. Looking for his teammates is a work in progress.

Good observation. Glad that pop coaching his kids is over. Buddy and Jimmy are both very good players, but they both played way too much at the expense of others over the last few years.
I think Benny was shot by then (Feb of last year), mentally out of it and JB was still trying to keep tbe winning season streak alive. But I generally agree with the approach.

IMO Benny would have benefited from playing alongside Quincy….but that ship literally sailed when word leaked that Jimmy was coming.

I wonder why that happens? It has to be psychological, doesn’t it? I’ve never played a team sport. Maybe someone who has - and there has to be at least one or two of you on this board :rolleyes: - can explain “cold spells” to me.

I think it's a function of a couple things. Sometimes, you miss a shot that your ordinarily make. No big deal; it happens.

But then you miss another that you know you can make. After 2 or 3 of those, you might start "aiming" your shot more, focusing on getting it on line.

Once you do that, you tend to change your ordinary shooting motion and maybe not follow through as smoothly or as naturally.

(Bowling or darts can be that way, too.)

Once that happens, it can get in your head. You may hurry your motion; you may slow down your motion; you may change your normal release point a bit so that you see the rim better. Any or all of those things can throw off how you usually make a shot.

That's why you hear announcers (or coaches or fans) say, "he needs to get inside and make a lay-up, or make a foul shot or two." It does make the basket look bigger, and then you begin to feel like the next one is going in. You're more relaxed, and you get back to your normal rhythm and flow on a shot.

I was one of those guys who shot better when I took a dribble or two and moved left or right to set up a shot. It got me into a rhythm. Some guys can just shoot them over and over from a stand still position. Those guys were better shooters than me.

But I do know the feeling of getting hot from outside. And when that happens, you know it's going in as soon as it leaves your hand. I would sometimes call out the shot before it went through the net - "That's two" (in the era before the 3 point shot). If you do that and it drops, that gets in the other guy's head. That's a great feeling, like they can't stop you.

I think it's a function of a couple things. Sometimes, you miss a shot that your ordinarily make. No big deal; it happens.

But then you miss another that you know you can make. After 2 or 3 of those, you might start "aiming" your shot more, focusing on getting it on line.

Once you do that, you tend to change your ordinary shooting motion and maybe not follow through as smoothly or as naturally.

Once that happens, it can get in your head. You may hurry your motion; you may slow down your motion; you may change your normal release point a bit so that you see the rim better. Any or all of those things can throw off how you usually make a shot.

That's why you hear announcers (or coaches or fans) say, "he needs to get inside and make a lay-up, or make a foul shot or two." It does make the basket look bigger, and then you begin to feel like the next one is going in. You're more relaxed, and you get back to your normal rhythm and flow on a shot.

I was one of those guys who shot better when I took a dribble or two and moved left or right to set up a shot. It got me into a rhythm. Some guys can just shoot them over and over from a stand still position. Those guys were better shooters than me.

But I do know the feeling of getting hot from outside. And when that happens, you know it's going in as soon as it leaves your hand. I would sometimes call out the shot before it went through the net - "That's two" (in the era before the 3 point shot). If you do that and it drops, that gets in the other guy's head. That's a great feeling, like they can't stop you.
Same here. I’ve even been so arrogant as to start heading back down the court before the ball went through the net because there was no doubt it was pure.

The thing is, Joe was in a funk for three straight games, all of which we lost. He's scored at least 15 in the seven games since and we lost only one of them - by 1 point. Add in that he's our only reliable outside threat, (until Bell and Taylor get it going consistently), and he's a pretty important guy on this team.

Same here. I’ve even been so arrogant as to start heading back down the court before the ball went through the net because there was no doubt it was pure.

That's the best feeling in hoops, isn't it?

Thank you for such a detailed response. It all makes sense. I have gotten “lucky” in games and I’ve been “in the flow.” But these were card games, not a sports game. So it does become psychological; a matter of confidence or non-confidence. And it is an exceptional feeling when you KNOW something good is heading your way. I really liked Capt. Tuttle’s article about “scientists dismissing hot streaks.” Scientists are sometimes so rigid they can’t see the truth staring them in the eyeballs.

Thank you for such a detailed response. It all makes sense. I have gotten “lucky” in games and I’ve been “in the flow.” But these were card games, not a sports game. So it does become psychological; a matter of confidence or non-confidence. And it is an exceptional feeling when you KNOW something good is heading your way. I really liked Capt. Tuttle’s article about “scientists dismissing hot streaks.” Scientists are sometimes so rigid they can’t see the truth staring them in the eyeballs.

Scientists have also claimed that curve balls don't curve.

Sometimes they don't.

Is Benny a sneaky decent 3 pt shooter? I think he’s shooting like 33%, which sounds decent to me
According to ESPN he's 41% (7-17) from three on the season!

Not for me. For me, the best feeling was setting up a teammate for a layup with a nice pass. Dont know why, I could score, but always preferred a sweet dish.
You’d be my favorite teammate.

But I feel you. Love seeing a teammate cutting to the hoop so I can hit him for an easy bucket as well.

I believe in hot streaks within games. Everything slows down - you can see things better - and it’s just human nature good day / great day / bad day.
I had some great individual games in my life. But got really tired and distracted over longer seasons. I cannot fathom what it is to be a pro or blue chip level athlete day after day.
As I golf more, I find the mental part to be the most difficult. Make 3 pars in a row, think about what could be, then bam, snowman.

As I golf more, I find the mental part to be the most difficult. Make 3 pars in a row, think about what could be, then bam, snowman.
thats why pros are pros.. they can block out the distractions until the pressure gets too high.. for pros 4-5-6 pars in a row they dont start thinking like avg guys do. We get 2-3-4 birdies in a row and we cant shut down the thinking.

just like bowling you get 2-3-4 in a row and you start thinking dont mess this up. pros get there more often so the brain farts dont kick it.

Wish I was that good in golf.
I am working on it, a lot. I broke 100 at Pebble Beach, with 6 pars, including 18, in the dark. Picture. (Tell you how I good I am, that I was over 90 with 6 pars). I shot 92 at Bay Hill and 95 at Torrey Pines. I left 100 in the dust at Spy Glass (so freaking hard), Spanish Bay, Half Moon Bay and Trump International. I was so bad at Spanish Bay I hit that skinny horizontal branch (about 60 degrees left of the center of the fairway)with a drive. Bounced 90 degrees back across the fairway to the cart path. Was about 40 yard off the tee when the dust settled.
I did knock 5 strokes off my 9 hole league handicap last year Got down to a 9. Hope to get to a 5 for 9 holes this year.

Attachments

• E7249F83-F1F9-41CD-90EE-0460359A9470.jpeg
    E7249F83-F1F9-41CD-90EE-0460359A9470.jpeg
    88.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 0C575DB7-F754-42AE-9E44-B21CA2DAA7C4.jpeg
    0C575DB7-F754-42AE-9E44-B21CA2DAA7C4.jpeg
    524.3 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
You’d be my favorite teammate.

But I feel you. Love seeing a teammate cutting to the hoop so I can hit him for an easy bucket as well.
I absolutely love throwing a lob over the top to a reward a guy that fought to seal his defender in front of him.

Back in my day I got really good at that pass. I will say, it did make me a fun guy to have on your pick up team, especially if we were playing half court. I'd check it in and just bomb it over to the big guys for easy layups.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom