Beamer Ball to end... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Beamer Ball to end...

CIL said:
Foster is an excellent football coach. Va Tech has to take a look at him.

Their fans want to think bigger. Hard to imagine him sticking around to work with the next guy if he doesn't get the job.

I think Coyle should open the checkbook as much as needed to have him be our new offensive minded head coach's first DC.

Bayside44 said:
That's who they want.

Talk about a polar opposite to Beamer.

What would be the order of preference for an ambitious coach looking to move up or a veteran one looking to bounce back? Maybe we could pin a listing of available jobs and the order in which they should be ranked, just as a reality check.
Well here is another one...

oldpinepoint said:
Another reason I don't think it's the right time to get a new coach. There are a lot of better jobs out there than Cuse
I completely agree. Terrible year to find a coach for us.

Hey, how'd you like to coach the Orange next year?

Lemme think it over, will ya? I got a guy on the other line asking about some white walls. I'll talk to ya later.

That's who they want.
Who knows really,but their fanbase really wants Butch Davis. I did see RichRods being name mentioned.

Probably be someone who comes out of nowhere.

Not buying that statement all that much,what has hurt Syracuse was their willingness not to really open up the checkbook. As soon as we decide to offer a little bit better than average P-5 money there will be a lot of coaches who would be willing to relocate. Improvement in facilities will open eyebrows,but need to up the paycheck to go along.

Totally agree. We no longer lag far behind in facilities. We actually have a lot of offer a new HC. More then the last 3 times the job came open. If you were PJ Fleck, or Dino Barbers and you were weighing your options here is how I think Syracuse should be viewed.

Positives

- Newly renovated facilities, and even signs pointing to renovation of Dome. We'd probably rank smack dab in the middle of the ACC if we were to rank them. No longer a negative.
- ACC affiliation. Firmly settled in as a P5 program.
- Strong history, and tradition.
- Some recent success (Another reason to make move now. Can't take a chance of that recent success becoming irrelevant).
- Decent foundation of talent, especially Dungey. I think this selling point can't be understated. These guys who are going to have their pick of schools will be very enticed by the youth we have on this team. Knowing this isn't a total rebuild, and has a team ready to compete immediately can't be overlooked.

Negatives

- Recruiting territory. Obviously locally is pretty poor, but there is good talent in surrounding states. Personally i'm not too worried about recruiting. We now have the resources where any coach who can recruit will bring the talent in.

Variables

- HC salary. We may have to over pay a bit to get one of these up and comers, but we just might have to do it if we are serious about winning. The day of low balling has to end. Either that, or expect to continue to see 25k in the seats at the Dome.
- Assistants salary pool. Not only must we be willing to pay the HC, but we better be ready to pony up for his assistants. This could turn some coaches away, even if we are willing to pay them. They want to be able to bring in a talented staff, and support staff, which they should.

Out of the 9 current openings i really only see 3 schools we will be competing with. Whoever we are looking at, won't be the same people USC, Miami, Maryland, South Carolina, and probably VT are looking at.

Basically we will be fighting Illinois, Minnesota, and UVA for coaching candidates. In that pecking order I think we could be #2 if we are willing to pay a fair salary.

I really think a move needs to be made this year. The only thing worse could be not making a move, and having another down year. The job will only get less attractive the longer we wait. We have some young talent, and most importantly a young QB to sell this year. Let's not waste it.

Totally agree. We no longer lag far behind in facilities. We actually have a lot of offer a new HC. More then the last 3 times the job came open. If you were PJ Fleck, or Dino Barbers and you were weighing your options here is how I think Syracuse should be viewed.

Positives

- Newly renovated facilities, and even signs pointing to renovation of Dome. We'd probably rank smack dab in the middle of the ACC if we were to rank them. No longer a negative.
- Some recent success (Another reason to make move now. Can't take a chance of that recent success becoming irrelevant).
- Decent foundation of talent, especially Dungey. I think this selling point can't be understated. These guys who are going to have their pick of schools will be very enticed by the youth we have on this team. Knowing this isn't a total rebuild, and has a team ready to compete immediately can't be overlooked.

Negatives

- Recruiting territory. Obviously locally is pretty poor, but there is good talent in surrounding states. Personally i'm not too worried about recruiting. We now have the resources where any coach who can recruit will bring the talent in.

Variables

- HC salary. We may have to over pay a bit to get one of these up and comers, but we just might have to do it if we are serious about winning. The day of low balling has to end. Either that, or expect to continue to see 25k in the seats at the Dome.
- Assistants salary pool. Not only must we be willing to pay the HC, but we better be ready to pony up for his assistants. This could turn some coaches away, even if we are willing to pay them. They want to be able to bring in a talented staff, and support staff, which they should.

Out of the 9 current openings i really only see 3 schools we will be competing with. Whoever we are looking at, won't be the same people USC, Miami, Maryland, South Carolina, and probably VT are looking at.

Basically we will be fighting Illinois, Minnesota, and UVA for coaching candidates. In that pecking order I think we could be #2 if we are willing to pay a fair salary.

I really think a move needs to be made this year. The only thing worse could be not making a move, and having another down year. The job will only get less attractive the longer we wait. We have some young talent, and most importantly a young QB to sell this year. Let's not waste it.
Totally agree on positives, negatives, and variables. Although, if we are looking for a coach, we might be looking a some of the same candidates as MD.

Totally agree on positives, negatives, and variables. Although, if we are looking for a coach, we might be looking a some of the same candidates as MD.

imo Maryland will get a bigger name just because they may be ready to pay 5-6m. It's possible if they want to go for one of the hot up and comers from a G5, but I get the sense that their sugar daddy is going to want a sexy name. I kind of hope that's the case because I think they're a more attractive option.

The more I think about it, the more i'm convinced the move needs to be made this year.

With all the negative talk it's not going to help recruiting. imo this year's recruiting class is pretty mehhh (below average), and don't see it getting much better. If HCSS stays next year won't improve as a lame duck HC. He will deal with the same problems on the recruiting trail as he's going to encounter as this cycle closes out. If that does happen it will give us 2 subpar recruiting classes, which only decreases the talent, and the value of the program. If the move is made this year a new HC can come in and try to keep the current class together, and maybe even add on to it. Then he has all of next year for a full cycle being here. People argue that canning HCSS this year would hurt our talent over the next few years. I feel the opposite. The current Freshman class is pretty strong. We are selling that, and then whatever the new coach bring in. There is no gap with a poor recruiting class. I think the longer we wait, the less attractive the job is. The move has to be made now.

What about Bud Foster if he doesn't get the VT job?

Afraid to step back into the Carrier Dome.

I don't blame him. We lock the doors now.
Doesn't want to be arrested for breaking and entering

Hey, how'd you like to coach the Orange next year?

Lemme think it over, will ya? I got a guy on the other line asking about some white walls. I'll talk to ya later.

Lou Brown would be a perfect fit!

Old, and I'm always extremely wary of guys who stay someplace long term as a coordinator.

JMU coach on the speed dial if they're smart...which they're not.

If we get someone w/o HC experience, let's get an offensive stud ala Lincoln Riley. Way more upside and top offensive coaches are harder to find

Positives

Negatives

Variables

I don't even think the negative is that big of a deal, as you've pointed out. Many of these coaches think very highly of themselves, that's how they get to their positions. Any coach looking at SU vs other comparable schools offering similar $, he's going to say to himself, "I'm not worried about recruiting, with the facilities, renovations, SU degree, and AD with proven success - I can easily recruit at the schools I've been successful with already in the very least".

We no longer lag far behind in facilities. We actually have a lot of offer a new HC.

So is the "facilities" issue officially closed?

What do you mean?

Have we finally achieved parity with our rivals such that coaches can no longer said to be losing games because of inadequate facilities?

Yeah because hiring an in state FCS coach worked out great for Virginia. Besides the fact that he didn't exactly light the world up at UNC his one year there.

Have we finally achieved parity with our rivals such that coaches can no longer said to be losing games because of inadequate facilities?

I would think so. In comparison with the rest of the ACC im we are probably right in the middle. I think the ACC is behind the rest of the country as a whole, so in comparison to the rest of the country we are probably slightly below average, but we play in the ACC so that's all that really matters. Just my opinion.

Orangello said:

Who's not smart? Coyle? How do you know that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom