Benny williams | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Benny williams

I think this is where our opinions diverge.

Benny sure isn't playing like a guy who's having good practices. He looks fully shell shocked when he's out there.
I probably could’ve been clearer but I agree with what you just said. My guess is that he is playing the same way in practice as what we see on the court. Hence, less confidence from JB.

Agree, in the main. With Boeheim, it's all about trust. If he trusts you, then you play.

If he doesn't, then you sit and he rides players that he DOES trust.
A lot of it is how a player adapts to his system. It takes longer for some guys who are used to playing one way and then they come to Syracuse and get real coaching and are changing their form, footwork, positioning, awareness, etc. It can be overwhelming for some and others take to it easier. And some never get it.

No way its a waste developmentally...Thats done in practices...Yes games help...Its getting in the gym everyday and weight room everyday and film room everyday that develop...Sorry just irks me personally...I coach HS hoops and the parents that say my kid wont be at practice the next 2 days but we'll make sure he is at the Game Friday night ...Practice how you want to play... I believe the same thing in college...Benny should be in working on his fundamentals and skill for hours everyday.. Why do you think Jesse has made such a jump in skill.. Not the games ... He hardly played.. He worked in practice and from all accounts he had parents that got that and stressed that to him.. No way the year is a waste if Benny works on his game in practice!

As a former player myself, and as a fan who's attended literally hundreds of SU practices over the year to observe players before the games start, I completely understand your point.

But at some point, performance in practice has to translate over to what transpires on the court in games. OF COURSE Benny is putting in hours daily to refine his skill set and improve. But the results sure haven't been pretty -- he looks completely lost, and his offensive capabilities appear to be non-existent. I qualify that by acknowledging that he was a 5-star recruit, so we all know that he isn't devoid of talent / skill. However, he's playing scared, and making constant mistakes as a function of turtling up.

When I see him out there, he looks terrified -- not like a kid who is enjoying this experience at all. I hope that changes, I hope that he continues to work hard to improve.

But I disagree that he'll be as far along by just practicing hard as he would be if he were finding a way to make an impact on the court and gaining quality game experience.

Good on Benny for addressing this head on.
Good for him realizing this is a journey and it doesn't always start on a Melo trajectory. Life is about peaks and valleys. freshmen can have it rough. Stick it out and you will be rewarded. This is a team that needs him right now but he may not be ready and that's ok.

Jim does what's best for Syracuse. Benny if he's smart will realize that staying at Syracuse is the best investment he can make in his life. It's a special place where he can grow into the person/athlete he wants to be.

We lose focus on that fact sometimes.

As someone reported earier, Benny is getting more than spot time on the court. He still is hesitant in making his moves on defense or offense. So, he doesn't get the real meaningful time that many would like to see.

If there are people who think that JB is so upset with Benny that he is turning his back, take a look at where Benny spends most of his time on the bench.

Right next to JB. Do you think Benny just might be getting some valuable coaching during a game from one of the best bench coaches ever?

Bummer he had to address this so early in his journey but that's kinda where we are in college basketball lol.

Hopefully he gets some gametime where he's flanked by Joe, Buddy, and Jesse and he can make a play to kickstart himself a bit.

We've got three more "cupcakes" on the schedule. (Yes, I am including Georgetown as a cupcake.) Hopefully Benny will get some extended minutes and have a chance to break out and gain some confidence.

I think the transition to college ball has been humbling for him. He seems to be handling it with great maturity. He listens to coach B. His comment about not transferring shows he understands the process and is willing to put in the work.

If the work he puts in with Red, pregame, is any indicator, Benny is a hard worker. He is usually the third person to come out and practice/work pre-game. (Joe is first , then Buddy.)

Good for the kid with kid being the operative word. He sounds like, looks like and is a kid. But Benny is taking responsibility and facing reality like a man instead of taking the easy way out and quitting/transferring. Frankly his attitude in that interview is refreshing.
While he isn't ready to make a major contributions, most of his problems have to do with confidence. Many if not most of our great players have struggled as freshmen, think of Kris Joseph in the 6 OT game or Jeremi Grant as a freshman. I can't wait to see Benny reach his potential and help us win some games.

Why is it every good recruit (via rankings) the game is always overwhelming for them? Why does Syracuse always get the 1 guy in the top 20 or top 50 who the game is too fast for especially at forward How are other teams getting their freshmen to play and contribute but year after year we aren't? People ask why we don't blame the player? Because this is a serious pattern that IMO has hurt and limited the program.

2020 - Only recruit left is Frank.
2019 - Joe and Jesse
2018 - Buddy

Of our recruiting the last 3 years these are the only recruits that are left on the team that play any type of role. You want to look at a reason we are a bubble team then look no further than this. Why don't we have depth? All point back to the same thing. If JB isn't going to play recruits and highly rated recruits minutes during our biggest games then just stop recruiting and bring in portal bodies. I imagine if Benny sits all ACC play like Woody did then he will also be transferring out. The years of top recruits sitting on the bench multiple years to develop are long gone.
Well Woody is anchoring the bench at Oklahoma State. The argument seems to be forget the W-L consequences and play these recruits 20-30 minutes irrespective. Isn’t going to happen.

Well Woody is anchoring the bench at Oklahoma State. The argument seems to be forget the W-L consequences and play these recruits 20-30 minutes irrespective. Isn’t going to happen.

What wins and losses are we talking about? Struggling to maintain our bubble superiority? And nobody is saying that Benny needs to play 30 minutes or even 20 minutes or at least I haven't seen that once?

I think giving your bench consistent minutes, creating a rotation with roles, and developing them might cost you a game early but I think can make for a stronger team and better program going forward as kids will be more engaged over the course of the season and not want to leave the program.

He’s totally overwhelmed out there. He had 2-3 fairly easy rebounding opportunities that he let slip by again. Can’t do that if you want more minutes
That is true but every big last night had easy board opportunities slip thru their fingertips.

Is there anyone on this board who actually thinks players like Benny have some ownership in their own performance? Anyone?! Nothing should surprise me on Syracusefan (haha it still does!), but it gets ridiculous to me when Benny doesn’t perform & the coaches get blamed automatically.

Benny turns the ball over within 30 seconds of getting in… “give him a longer leash, you know how Boeheim do!”

Benny misses a bunny or bricks a shot… “Coach destroyed his confidence, I knew it, you know how Boeheim do!”

My thought… “Benny, get in the gym & keep working on your game, you gotta take advantage of the opportunities you have when you get in the game”
Does anybody know how he does in practice. I take it that JB puts a big emphasis on that. Does Benny understand the zone. Defense is sooo different in college with higher caliber players and JB's SU zone even harder to grasp. JB's whole "he's not ready to play" probably goes back to this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom