Benny williams | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Benny williams

This is a non-issue until Benny settles in and ups his level of play. If that happens and it coincides with JB3 play leveling off as people figure out his game and Cole still not delivering... conversation moves to a different level.

A token start for 2 minutes, then yanked. Probably did not help, other than having his name announced. He had to get better.

A poster above mentioned Fab, Dion, Paul Harris or others — but these aren’t at all similar. The potential for those players was obvious. Harris was often spectacular, though sometimes tried to do too much; Fab was 7ft tall and a force on the boards; Dion — too selfish but it was easy to see what he could do with his skills.
Right? Harris averaged like 9 and 7 as a freshman. Dion scored 20 in a NCAA tourney game. They were light years ahead of Benny.

glad to hear he’s sticking it out. Now time to buckle down and make yourself useful

Right? Harris averaged like 9 and 7 as a freshman. Dion scored 20 in a NCAA tourney game. They were light years ahead of Benny.

I think Dion is actually a good example. If you look at his game log from his freshman year. He had some decent games to start but also had some real stinkers in there. Why did he get better toward the end of the year? Outside of a couple of one-off games, he got consistent minutes all year long.

In the first 4 games, Benny was getting nice minutes. 21-16-22-17 two decent games and 1 stinker and 1 blah game. Since then 6-21*-19**-2-3. You aren't going to get any production from players playing 6-2-3 minutes a game.

In the next three games, I would like to get him back to the 10-15 range with about 5-8 minutes per half resting Jimmy and Cole.

* 21 minutes was in the Auburn game I would guess the minutes increase here was due to Auburn killing us.
**19 minutes was in the Indiana 2 OT game I would guess minute increase here because Cole fouled out.

I think Dion is actually a good example. If you look at his game log from his freshman year. He had some decent games to start but also had some real stinkers in there. Why did he get better toward the end of the year? Outside of a couple of one-off games, he got consistent minutes all year long.

In the first 4 games, Benny was getting nice minutes. 21-16-22-17 two decent games and 1 stinker and 1 blah game. Since then 6-21*-19**-2-3. You aren't going to get any production from players playing 6-2-3 minutes a game.

In the next three games, I would like to get him back to the 10-15 range with about 5-8 minutes per half resting Jimmy and Cole.

* 21 minutes was in the Auburn game I would guess the minutes increase here was due to Auburn killing us.
**19 minutes was in the Indiana 2 OT game I would guess minute increase here because Cole fouled out.
Dion obviously had offensive ability that was college ready, and you could see that after watching him for a few possessions. He could handle the ball and beat people off the dribble and make things happen. He was just caught behind two veteran guards. Freshman Dion would start and play 35 mpg and average 12-15 ppg on most of our recent teams IMO.

I haven’t seen any semblance of an offensive game from Benny yet. He’s not nearly as far along as Dion from an offensive skill level standpoint.

Last edited:
His athleticism and shot blocking is 5 star his. Offense needs work. I'm worried one of his shots are going to take an eye out.

The transfer fear p orn was ridiculous.

Have some faith in the kids and the staff.
Football: Faith = Belief without evidence
Basketball: Faith = Belief in the face of overwhelming evidence that lots of kids will leave for any reason at all.

Yeah it was another shthole topic by our fans.
I think it’s just more of the way things are today.
Obviously it’s a lot easier to transfer today then it was in the past and of course social media nowadays is just whacko!

His athleticism and shot blocking is 5 star his. Offense needs work. I'm worried one of his shots are going to take an eye out.
But he really doesn’t have any skill set. He’s also not very aggressive.

I feel bad that he has to address this. All the chatter just highlights that he’s struggling and not living up to expectations (his own too, I’m sure).

I know Dion was brought up earlier in this thread but this statement from Benny reminds me of Dion and how he refused to transfer after his frosh year and used it as motivation to come back better and stronger than ever.

I think dion was actually pretty close to leaving.

I remember reading a story during Dion’s sophomore year that at the end of Dion’s freshman season Boeheim told Dion he should transfer and Dion said no and used it as motivation that offseason.

I thought Dion was indeed leaving. JB said of Dion in an interview after the season, "Sometimes change is good for players" meaning a change of scenario. I was shocked he came back. Maybe Scoop convinced him to stay.

I remember reading a story during Dion’s sophomore year that at the end of Dion’s freshman season Boeheim told Dion he should transfer and Dion said no and used it as motivation that offseason.

I think he discusses this in the devo pods. I dont recall exactly what was said but I think he was close to leaving.

I thought Dion was indeed leaving. JB said of Dion in an interview after the season, "Sometimes change is good for players" meaning a change of scenario. I was shocked he came back. Maybe Scoop convinced him to stay.

Yeah for whatever reason, Boeheim was not keen on Dion coming back initially. Perhaps he really knew Dion wouldn’t leave and it would motivate Dion.

I haven’t seen any semblance of an offensive game from Benny yet. He’s not nearly as far along as Dion from an offensive skill level standpoint.

I agree with that but that is also because he was a guard and had ball-handling skills that maybe a PF wouldn't have right out of the gate.

Also looking back at some of those teams and game log JB still played an 8 man rotation most of the time but those bench players played a good chunk of minutes.

What a CLASS act benny williams is. Very refreshing. Kid is going to bust out eventually.
The kid has an intangible that can’t be taught and that is hard to find. When he starts playing more in a week he will gain confidence back and be playing more. We are going to need him

The kid has an intangible that can’t be taught and that is hard to find. When he starts playing more in a week he will gain confidence back and be playing more. We are going to need him
I just hope doesn't transfer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom