Benny Williams | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Benny Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. My point was he got away with treating people a certain way before the portal because players, especially good players, didn't want to take a year off without playing.
Exactly. I think coaches will need to adjust to that and I'm not sure ours is up to adjusting.

Agreed. My point was he got away with treating people a certain way before the portal because players, especially good players, didn't want to take a year off without playing.
absolutely...and fwiw, I’m not sitting here pounding my fist suggesting Benny is even going to be good next year. He might transfer and be the next Kaleb Joseph. What I do feel and I am saying is we can’t win on a consistent basis this year (...or next year if it happens) playing Jimmy 35 plus minutes. It’s just not going to work, therefore you need to try out some other plans.

...or you can continue doing the same thing over and over again and chase any other plans out the door to stop any questioning of your decisions.

Yeah, players are going to transfer in and out...some will be good and bad...I don’t think that’s what’s the concern here.
Not my concern either, but this is like 5-6 well-regarded players who were recruited and then just couldn't play at this level regardless of here or elsewhere (e.g., Goodine, Carey, Benny, Kaleb, Moyer, etc.) and then combined with the guys who never made it to campus, or the piles of projects who have never worked out. The cupboard has been pretty bare and the best players have been the coach's kids, two euros, and a couple of transfers into the program.

While the jury is still out on Benny, the high school talent evaluation for this program has been poor.

Not for nothing, but Benny is currently ranked dead last among this year's RSCI top-100 in win shares at -0.2, but he's lower-middle of the pack in minutes.

The only other top-30 recruit that low is Texas's Jaylon Tyson who racked up 0.2 WS in 55 minutes in 8 games before hitting the portal and going to Texas Tech. Also, Nate Bittle a 7'0" center who needs to get a lot stronger to play at Oregon.

Not for nothing, but Benny is currently ranked dead last among this year's RSCI top-100 in win shares at -0.2, but he's lower-middle of the pack in minutes.

The only other top-30 recruit that low is Texas's Jaylon Tyson who racked up 0.2 WS in 55 minutes in 8 games before hitting the portal and going to Texas Tech. Also, Nate Bittle a 7'0" center who needs to get a lot stronger to play at Oregon.
I think the bigger concern is calling out the player in public.

I think the bigger concern is calling out the player in public.
Oh that's not a good look at all, but these guys coming in haven't been good. And that's an issue when a lot of fans here are pointing to next year's class as the one to right the ship.

Seems like the last really good class was Malachi, Lydon, and Howard and that was six years ago (I guess Marek and Oshae was a good class too, but Marek played out of position for a lot of his career negating what could have been). The 19-20 team had 11 scholarship players on it, of those, just 3 remain playing any minutes for Syracuse. They've turned over 75% of the roster from two years ago, and two of three are Buddy and JG3.

I don't envy the position that JW faces. But, I don't think that he is unprepared. JB is making his own bed and it will become even more obvious if/when the losing continues.

Yup, the games changed. That might be the reason Coach K is leaving. I think that kid who transferred out after last season was going to be a real star, or did he go D league?

Oh that's not a good look at all, but these guys coming in haven't been good. And that's an issue when a lot of fans here are pointing to next year's class as the one to right the ship.

Seems like the last really good class was Malachi, Lydon, and Howard and that was six years ago (I guess Marek and Oshae was a good class too, but Marek played out of position for a lot of his career negating what could have been). The 19-20 team had 11 scholarship players on it, of those, just 3 remain playing any minutes for Syracuse. They've turned over 75% of the roster from two years ago, and two of three are Buddy and JG3.
A lot of programs are losing people. The game has changed.

Ramel Lloyd, Anthony Harris, Richard Manning, BJ Johnson come to mind as some of the ones who did well elsewhere. Manning and Johnson made the NBA.

Perhaps not "star" status, but these transfers certainly were solid, Glenn Sekunda, Keith Hughes & Earl Duncan.

No doubt in my mind, many others would've too in today's climate, portal, etc. One of those being David jumping jack Johnson. The dude could barely get on the floor as a frosh or soph. I do recall him giving serious thought to bolting. But times were different then on many levels, so he bit the bullet and became a top player for us his jr. and senior seasons.

But I think a big part of this is how minutes get distributed by the coach, who will immediately yank a player that isn’t on his preferred player list if any mistake happens. When this is the case the player starts playing scared which means they aren’t playing basketball they are playing to not make mistakes. I feel like this happens way too often with many of our freshman, which to me seems like it’s a problem with our coaching.

Last year Edwards didn't play because Boehiem said he wasn't ready until he played and all of a sudden he was... Bennie's never going get better if he's not allowed to play though his mistakes ...if his style of play isn't a fit here we should of never recruited him because to keep bringing in highly regarded players and not play them is a bad look for the program. Word gets around.

The team is losing, he's getting no minutes and the head coach is criticizing him publicly. Why would he stay? The balmy weather?
This is way too typical; not developing players through game experience and then public call outs when they don’t come in and star. This is so very bad for the moral of players!

Perhaps not "star" status, but these transfers certainly were solid, Glenn Sekunda, Keith Hughes & Earl Duncan.

No doubt in my mind, many others would've too in today's climate, portal, etc. One of those being David jumping jack Johnson. The dude could barely get on the floor as a frosh or soph. I do recall him giving serious thought to bolting. But times were different then on many levels, so he bit the bullet and became a top player for us his jr. and senior seasons.
I remember hearing another player from that era tell someone in class “coach likes me now, cause he has to play me this year”. This was 1993-4 ish, so some things haven’t changed all that much. Of course, the talent in front of that player was much better.

This is way too typical; not developing players through game experience and then public call outs when they don’t come in and star. This is so very bad for the moral of players!
Which players? Jesse plays, he sometimes gets criticized, seems like he'e thriving on it.

Not wasting my time explaining what you are not willing to see.
Benny is a 5 star recruit, he needs to get his head out of the clouds and bear down hard.

Which players? Jesse plays, he sometimes gets criticized, seems like he'e thriving on it.
Thriving? He can barely cover both corners and the lane.
He doesn't act like it bothers him, he looks like he's having a good time on the court,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom