Benny | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Benny

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought he was pretty good for a 8th or 9th guy in the rotation. Couple nice plays on D grabbed boards couple blocks and hit a three.

What more can you ask for someone who gets 10-12 minutes (not sure how many he had tonight.)

What I've found to be interesting with the Benny/Boeheim dynamic is that Jim gave Benny a lot of run last year. Probably more than he deserved at times. It seemed to me that despite Boeheim's frustration with Benny and his lack of rebounding, he remained loyal to the young man. A lot of other coaches probably would have moved on.

Over the years, I've been critical of how Jim would treat certain players - Roberson is probably the first to come to mind. However, with Benny, I feel much differently. That all said, I'm far removed from what happened on a day to day basis. Looks like Benny is in serious jeopardy of squandering an opportunity and one that probably won't get better if he leaves.
Yeah, anyone who thought Benny didn't get a fair shake either knows way more inside information than I do (entirely possible) or is dramatically overrating who benny is as a player. I feel like there is a generous helping of the latter and perhaps I'm missing a lot about the former.

Benny is not playing like he wants playing time. Reminds me of the character from Rudy, the guy who was a HS AA but didn’t amount to much at ND.

Copeland wants to play. If Benny had that Feeling, JT would not be playing at all.
Benny has a low basketball IQ. Very athletic guy but probably won’t figure out how to maximize his athletic talent.

Benny has a low basketball IQ. Very athletic guy but probably won’t figure out how to maximize his athletic talent.
Benny has turned into ‘come on Benny!’

Everything he does turns into a reaction from fans and even the bench where everyone says it. Two things got me last night. First one was the huddle - not only was he only one not involved but he wondered around like a lost cat and his teammates just let him pout. The second when he came in 2nd half he and Bell were in the same spot on the floor and he told the hottest guy on the floor to move off his spot clearly Benny should have been somewhere else not Bell and he had no right pushing him out of the spot.

Come on Benny!

He plays slow. Don't know if its just his demeanor or what but everything seems slow. He was out there last night and other than block didn't notice him.
He also has no fight in situations on or around the blocks.

He's enigmatic and inconsistent, like many of these guys. He will continue to get minutes on this team. Whether his role expands or not will hinge on his performance. Personally, I wouldn't write him off just yet.

He's enigmatic and inconsistent, like many of these guys. He will continue to get minutes on this team. Whether his role expands or not will hinge on his performance. Personally, I wouldn't write him off just yet.
No, even after 3 years you can't write him off just yet. Gotta keep the door open for a "lightbulb" moment, no matter what.
I once thought that Roberson and that big kid who transferred to Seton Hall (name escapes me), were the 2 most enigmatic players I've ever seen. But Benny is starting to take the cake.

I hope Benny eventually figures it out, but I'm not optimistic. Sounds like he's a mess behind the scenes, and we were significantly better when he was on the bench last night.

No, even after 3 years you can't write him off just yet. Gotta keep the door open for a "lightbulb" moment, no matter what.
I once thought that Roberson and that big kid who transferred to Seton Hall (name escapes me), were the 2 most enigmatic players I've ever seen. But Benny is starting to take the cake.
He's starting his third season, and played very few minutes as a freshman. I'm not expecting him to turn into Julius Erving, but he's important to this team's success, if only for the depth he provides at forward. I hope he figures it out and remains part of the team.

Taureen Thompson

On this team, seems his role is to be a catch and shoot 3 pt shooter and a tough rebounder defensively.

The problem is, he rarely looks like he fits in out there. There is a total lack of fluidity in his game that stands out clearly to me.

My opinion is that it's all mental with Benny. When he gets going, he's phenomenal. All it takes is a few missed shots, turnovers, or not getting the ball when he wants it (i.e. last night in the 2nd half) and it completely takes him out mentally. I feel bad for him because the talent is somewhere in there. His mental health might stop him from reaching what we and Benny wants to be at, and that's a shame.

My opinion is that it's all mental with Benny. When he gets going, he's phenomenal. All it takes is a few missed shots, turnovers, or not getting the ball when he wants it (i.e. last night in the 2nd half) and it completely takes him out mentally. I feel bad for him because the talent is somewhere in there. His mental health might stop him from reaching what we and Benny wants to be at, and that's a shame.
I think losing his starting spot due to suspension really messed with him.

I'm not saying we start him.

But I suspect he'd be having a much better season if he didn't miss some games and lose his starting spot, for the reasons you mentioned.

He literally does the same thing every time he touches the ball. Sweeps low first (no one bites) then power shoulder dribbles into his man. Watch…it’s like a tic

I think losing his starting spot due to suspension really messed with him.

I'm not saying we start him.

But I suspect he'd be having a much better season if he didn't miss some games and lose his starting spot, for the reasons you mentioned.
I think it's more likely he's the same player he's always been. Fans keep expecting more productivity when we have 60 plus games showing this is who he is.

were going to need benny at some point this year... JT was overmatched with Reed. If LSU was smart and Reed was more aggressive, they could have taken a lot more advantage. Reed looked to me like he could be an NBA guy. Benny needs to be patient and earn his way back into the lineup.

were going to need benny at some point this year... JT was overmatched with Reed. If LSU was smart and Reed was more aggressive, they could have taken a lot more advantage. Reed looked to me like he could be an NBA guy. Benny needs to be patient and earn his way back into the lineup.
If lsu was smart they would’ve gotten their big guy more shots outside.

The real issue with Benny is that he was a supposed 5 star recruit that has not fulfilled expectations.

If he came in as a 3 star and played the way he has (baggage issues aside) nobody would be complaining.

He may have 5 star athleticism, but the reality is that he has 2 to 3 star skills, and the net result is inconsistency. If he had a plus motor his athleticism would come much more to the forefront, but like his skillset, his motor is erratic.

That is just who he is, he is a player that will sometimes get hot, but for the most part he will just chip in now and then. It is Red's job to allocate his minutes relative to how he is playing in a given game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom