Benny | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Benny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Benny is what he is the reasons don't really matter at this point. Forget about ratings. Benny doesn't have "it" he doesn't know how to play or what to do in the moment during the game. CJ Fair? Jerome Grant? Those guys knew how to play right away and then improved. Benny has never learned how to play IMO so the improvement on the court cannot take place the way fans expect. There are lots of examples in both direction for all player ratings. Guys who have learned how to play or have always instinctively known how to play show constant improvements. Guys that don't are the enigmas that have fans wondering if this is the year. Some guys just play, other guys are THINKING about how to play.

All that said it doesn't mean that Benny cannot help us. He's still important as front line depth. He can provide rim protection and rebounding as well as hitting open jumpers.

Last edited:
Benny is a major reason the last two years have been awful. If he was who we thought, JB would've retired never having a losing season. Or if he just didn't come here, we would have pursued a productive forward and been better off (although he helped recruit and retain Judah, and without Judah we would be toast this year).

JB said last year that Benny was a PG before an unexpected growth spurt and he has had a hard time adjusting to a different position. Perhaps he can't make the adjustments that are necessary.

It is evident that Red understands the Benny 'experience' is not working and may not work out at SU. That is the harsh reality. Red has advocated more for Benny than anyone over the past three years, and if he chooses not to play Benny, there is more than enough evidence to support that decision. It's just not clicking.

It's year three, we're beyond 'potential' talk, and the additional baggage to the team is a detriment to what Red is trying to build. I would be shocked if he is back next year.

I think Benny is in the wrong sport, dude is athletic as heck and maybe he should try football.Wide receiver maybe.

I think Benny is in the wrong sport, dude is athletic as heck and maybe he should try football.Wide receiver maybe.
No offense to you, but I don't think he's all that "athletic". And you don't see any 6'9" wide receivers for a reason.

It is evident that Red understands the Benny 'experience' is not working and may not work out at SU. That is the harsh reality. Red has advocated more for Benny than anyone over the past three years, and if he chooses not to play Benny, there is more than enough evidence to support that decision. It's just not clicking.

It's year three, we're beyond 'potential' talk, and the additional baggage to the team is a detriment to what Red is trying to build. I would be shocked if he is back next year.
Benny was a monster for four games at the end of last season that I thought was because Red got through to him after his personal day. That Benny was a complete 180 from anything that he ever did before at SU. It's tough watching him now knowing that kind of production could come from him on a regular basis.

Last night he checked into the game, caught the ball at 26 feet, took a couple of dribbles and bricked a 21-ft two pointer with about 26 seconds on the shot clock. Red pulled him immediately after that.

JB said last year that Benny was a PG before an unexpected growth spurt and he has had a hard time adjusting to a different position. Perhaps he can't make the adjustments that are necessary.
That happens to a lot of guys and they either stay at the point or become a point forward. I don't see the vision and above average passing ability for him to excel at either position.

Benny is not playing like he wants playing time. Reminds me of the character from Rudy, the guy who was a HS AA but didn’t amount to much at ND.

Copeland wants to play. If Benny had that Feeling, JT would not be playing at all.
JT is a far better basketball player than Benny. Maybe not a better athlete, but a better player.

No, even after 3 years you can't write him off just yet. Gotta keep the door open for a "lightbulb" moment, no matter what.
I once thought that Roberson and that big kid who transferred to Seton Hall (name escapes me), were the 2 most enigmatic players I've ever seen. But Benny is starting to take the cake.
Taurean Thompson. Record holder for most threads created with a player's name. That should have ensured the name didn't escape you :)
Edit: only teasing!

Last edited:
So ...use him like we did Leo Rautins, aka "Point Forward".
JB was a pioneer in that concept- why couldn't he play mad scientist and use Benny that way?
I doubt that this will solve Benny's"issues" but if that's what's been holding him back, which it isnt , then I say "let's get creative".

JB was a pioneer in that concept- why couldn't he play mad scientist and use Benny that way?
I doubt that this will solve Benny's"issues" but if that's what's been holding him back, which it isnt , then I say "let's get creative".
Benny's head is holding him back. He thinks too much on the court. He is a decent passer, but I don't see any other PG skills. If he could slow down, maybe he could be a functional high post player, but we don't ever do that in our offense.

Benny's head is holding him back. He thinks too much on the court. He is a decent passer, but I don't see any other PG skills. If he could slow down, maybe he could be a functional high post player, but we don't ever do that in our offense.
He has no back to the basket game, and his handle doesn't seem good enough to be an attacking forward.
He's an odd kinda "tweener" but lacks the requisite mentality to be a hybrid. If he dedicated himself to be a lunch pail type player, ie; rebounds, defense, hustle, set picks, etc., he might be able to carve out a niche for himself. But he tries to play like a small forward, w/out the small forward skills.

I think it's more likely he's the same player he's always been. Fans keep expecting more productivity when we have 60 plus games showing this is who he is.
Agreed. It's fine to keep rolling him out as the 8th/9th guy in the rotation and hope maybe he plays well. But we have a LOT of evidence that he's just not very good. Some guys just don't pan out.

He has no back to the basket game, and his handle doesn't seem good enough to be an attacking forward.
He's an odd kinda "tweener" but lacks the requisite mentality to be a hybrid. If he dedicated himself to be a lunch pail type player, ie; rebounds, defense, hustle, set picks, etc., he might be able to carve out a niche for himself. But he tries to play like a small forward, w/out the small forward skills.
I agree. I think he would be able to operate in the high post, because I think he can deliver high low passes and hit a free throw line jumper. He may even be able to take a power dribble and just try to dunk everything. That's it though, one dribble, gather and explode to the rim. I would love to see someone set him up going to the basket so he can just catch, gather and jump. Tell him to take it to the rim, if he gets blocked, that's fine, just don't think.

Benny is what he is the reasons don't really matter at this point. Forget about ratings. Benny doesn't have "it" he doesn't know how to play or what to do in the moment during the game. CJ Fair? Jerome Grant? Those guys knew how to play right away and then improved. Benny has never learned how to play IMO so the improvement on the court cannot take place the way fans expect. There are lots of examples in both direction for all player ratings. Guys who have learned how to play or have always instinctively known how to play show constant improvements. Guys that don't are the enigmas that have fans wondering if this is the year. Some guys just play, other guys are THINKING about how to play.

All that said it doesn't mean that Benny cannot help us. He's still important as front line depth. He can provide rim protection and rebounding as well as hitting open jumpers.

And Brown is the anti-Benny. In every way imaginable. He doesn't have the eye popping athleticism or plus size. But he just knows how to play the game. Hence he is far more productive. I too hope it clicks for Benny but I've very much doubted it would happen since his disappointing Soph year. I just don't think he has the mental makeup to match his physical gifts. Hope I am wrong and he proves the doubters wrong, but the evidence so far is not leading to a lot of optimism.

Nothing Benny has done says “point forward” in my eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom