Benny | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Benny

Status
Not open for further replies.
'Coach said he was simply playing the guys who he though would help the team win.'

Coach, you are on watch. Your team is not that good. Looking at some other teams in the peer group we want to be in, we are so far off the mark. The lack of improvement in some players, under your watch is concerning.

I agree Benny has been underwhelming. I don't agree with the implication that you stop trying to develop players like him. I assume that what is really going on is that Benny wants to move on and Autry knows it & this is how its conveyed..

I ask that everyone consider all the other players who have been underwhelming too. I crossed out some 'untouchables' here. You could argue that Taylor has been inconsistent as well.

4 ribs & 3 points from Naheem (you telling me Benny couldn't do better? Maybe he is unwilling to take one for the team and play some center. Seems like he'd be better off at that center forward type of spot, working with another center forward with some high low action, if willing)
4 TOs from Q (although brings a spark Benny doesn't)
Abysmal shooting from Starling (although was clutch in the end last night)
0 points from Malik (the rebounding production is amazing though)
Kinda crossed Taylor off because he was close to a triple double last night, and in more than one game, but he is super inconsistent too.

benny.jpg

Feel bad for Benny. The reality of being a soft 3 star caliber player looks like a hard pill to swallow.

I didn’t think he would make it through last year. Everyone has been beyond patient with him far more than he deserves. I don’t see him being a contributor on this team if he makes it through the year unless something drastically changes.
Yup, precisely. Boeheim had an extremely long leash with him. For better or worse, Jim is remarkably patient despite the quick hooks. Seems like Autry is trying to give him every chance and he just can’t get out of his own way.

Some guys need a different type of help. Hope he gets what he needs but I think this is a situation where everyone needs to move on. It’s not happening here.

'Coach said he was simply playing the guys who he though would help the team win.'

Coach, you are on watch. Your team is not that good. Looking at some other teams in the peer group we want to be in, we are so far off the mark. The lack of improvement in some players, under your watch is concerning.

I agree Benny has been underwhelming. I don't agree with the implication that you stop trying to develop players like him. I assume that what is really going on is that Benny wants to move on and Autry knows it & this is how its conveyed..

I ask that everyone consider all the other players who have been underwhelming too. I crossed out some 'untouchables' here. You could argue that Taylor has been inconsistent as well.

4 ribs & 3 points from Naheem (you telling me Benny couldn't do better? Maybe he is unwilling to take one for the team and play some center. Seems like he'd be better off at that center forward type of spot, working with another center forward with some high low action, if willing)
Kinda crossed Taylor off because he was close to a triple double last night, and in more than one game, but he is super inconsistent too.

View attachment 234526
If Benny can help the team, he must show it in practice. Because he's definitely not showing it in games.

I don't think anyone is in a position to give advice to Red unless they are around the program 24/7/365.

I am with you. Enough is enough! They want us to support the team, buy season tickets, support them on the road but play the "I see nothing, hear nothing and say nothing game". Time to stop the game with your fans. If you do not need us or not want us to know what is going on, then let us know. I was a Syracuse fan before Red was born and I do no need this "guess what thimble the pea is under" game. We have been totally embarrassed two days in a row on national TV.
Exactly.
Are we giving up on players or trying to make them better?
As a coach can you adapt your approach to the personalities of each player?
Stop playing guessing games and field a team that gets back on D instead of failing to bc its woofing about making a basic jumper at the 12 minute mark in the 1st half.

Last edited:
To hell with Benny, seen enough of his ridiculousness….just think about Starling!!

When Benny doesn’t play, that IMMEDIATELY makes Starling the worst player suited up for either team.

That’s a lot of pressure on the kid.

He’s right where he should be. Sitting on the bench. Unreliable, lazy, uninspired and bad teammate.
What a whiny petulant fan base we have. I can only imagine what it was like post uva game with all the dramatic proclamations and emotion driven personal shots.

This absolutely sucks to see unfold, Have always had high hopes for Benny, to see him not engaged in the huddle during timeouts, and air shooting invisible 3-pointers just shows his lack of maturity. Red is in a tough spot, he has to show it's his program now, otherwise, he loses the team. Need some leaders on this team to step up and tell Benny to cut the bs.

I feel sorry for the kid as well, but he has to want to get help. Unfortunately, Bennys issues are probably not basketball related.
Correct

MaliQ had a breakaway that should have been an intentional foul, instead SU just got the ball. He missed a thunder-dunk in traffic and was probably fouled. Other than that, he doesn't get a lot of opportunities unless he forces the issue and he's not really a selfish type of player, he rebounds or tips the ball and looks to pass. He had only one official steal, but he must have tipped the ball out of defenders offensive players' hands about a dozen times.

Last edited:
When NY legalized marijuana, I was wondering how Syracuse and other colleges would deal with the drug testing policy. I’m not saying this is the reason that Benny hasn’t played in games but I wouldn’t be surprised after the NCAA infractions against JB!

He is 21 years old and has been at Syracuse for 2+ years. He gets every advantage possible for a student. Yet, he still can't have common decency and respect for his teammates and coaches. I'm sorry, but at some point you have to grow up or this is who you are. And I'm leaning towards the latter. You only get awarded so many second chances in life.

second chance in life? did he murder someone? jeez.

It is sad. And we desperately need his size and athleticism at forward if we want to be able to compete with bigger ACC teams. He needs to get his head on straight. Tune out the noise and focus and try to play inside-out. Stop worrying about shooting jumpers and 3s and hanging out on the perimter. Just get in there and crash the glass like a madman and get out and run out on every break (beat your man down the floor), set picks for your teammates, and defend like crazy, and then good things will come.
Well stated. He needs to think what can I do for the team first and then do it.

This year he gets put in and just chucks it, don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like this at this level.

He's not the basketball player everyone thought he'd be.

He's a Junior. We're past the point of a laundry list of things he needs to do to get better. He can't or won't do them.

Big swing and miss. It happens. It sucks when it happens to your program.

Also he doesn't seem to have his head on straight.

Prolly best for everyone for him to portal and I am sure he could use a fresh start somewhere else to try and ressurect his career. He's clearly not going to do that here.

Last edited:
Benny needs to find out if he actually enjoys team basketball first before he thinks about the portal
The following statement is serious. Would a team intervention help him?

Where in a closed environment (no coaches),the team talks with him and airs what they see he is doing right or wrong.

I have heard (but am not privy to) that some of his teammate relationships have become a little frosty. Sometimes, it seems like a player who is disgruntled needs to have a bucket of water over his head to see what is really going on.

View attachment 234526
The difference with Benny is he doesn’t try. He isn’t coachable. He hasn’t improved any part of his game since he arrived at SU. He’s a junior. If he hasn’t figured it out by now, he isn’t going to. As a coach you have to feel confidence in a player to put him on the floor. At least with his teammates who struggle, they are at least trying. Benny shows a complete lack of effort, awareness or engagement. He’s had his chance. Play someone you at least know will try. I think the coaching staff has finally had enough. I’m tired of everyone sayings he’s a good teammate. He’s a cancer on a team and it’s time to say goodbye. Keep your scholarship and go to class, but the Melo Center is off limits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom