Big 12 to expand...or not | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Big 12 to expand...or not

sports1.jpg

anyone been to Nippert?

Looks like a nice stadium with plenty of room for additions. Cincinnati would give WVU a regional rival and would bring the Big 12 into that sweet sweet Ohio recruitment/market territory.

If the ACC wanted to grab someone now, I would pick Cincy as they fill the gap (though inland) left by MD and brings us into Big 10 territory. Put them in the Coastal - it would be unbalanced but I would do it. That assumes the Big 12 will last past 2025 when their GOR ends - but that may not be certain. Right now it is clear that the leaked announcement of the ACC networks tomorrow morning has triggered a cattle stampede in the Big 12 (sorry but that metaphor amuses me) - the 2 to 4 teams that join them may be thinking they are in a "stampede to safety" but as Alsacs and others have mentioned they may be in a "stampede to a shakedown" if the Big 12 keeps say half of their money for the next 8 years. The dead giveaway will be if the Big 12 does not extend the GOR after the new teams enter - then there will be 2 to 4 Texas and Oklahoma teams rampaging their way out in 2025. Wow. Those Vegas gangsters have nothing on these athletic conferences.

sports1.jpg

anyone been to Nippert?

Looks like a nice stadium with plenty of room for additions. Cincinnati would give WVU a regional rival and would bring the Big 12 into that sweet sweet Ohio recruitment/market territory.

I live in Cincy and walk past Nippert almost on a daily basis during the school year. The picture above doesn't have the additions they made last year, but it's a nice stadium right in the middle of campus. They have a great athletic program and I would think they'd be a great addition to the Big 12. They want it bad. Front page of the Cincinnati newspapers yesterday were all about the Big 12's decision to expand. The university just lost its president so I hope that doesn't hurt them because I know he was really working to get them in.

I'm not a huge fan of the sports teams, but I do hope they get it.

I live in Cincy and walk past Nippert almost on a daily basis during the school year. The picture above doesn't have the additions they made last year, but it's a nice stadium right in the middle of campus. They have a great athletic program and I would think they'd be a great addition to the Big 12. They want it bad. Front page of the Cincinnati newspapers yesterday were all about the Big 12's decision to expand. The university just lost its president so I hope that doesn't hurt them because I know he was really working to get them in.

I'm not a huge fan of the sports teams, but I do hope they get it.

I know a lot of people paint them, mostly due to their past basketball teams, as thugs. However, I loved the UC addition to the big east and always thought they added extra grit and excitement. Some of our games against Cincy in the BE Tournament were awesome to watch, win or lose.

Football teams seen better days, but going to a real conference will do nothing but help them.

I know a lot of people paint them, mostly due to their past basketball teams, as thugs. However, I loved the UC addition to the big east and always thought they added extra grit and excitement. Some of our games against Cincy in the BE Tournament were awesome to watch, win or lose.

Football teams seen better days, but going to a real conference will do nothing but help them.
Their BB and FB teams always struck me as gritty / tough.

Definitely no one accused either their football or basketball team of being made up of geniuses. They're making the investment. The stadium upgrades were serious. (There's also a nice buzz going around Nippert these days because they added a NASL (I think) pro soccer team that is surpassing expectations in terms of popularity.) Tuberville, scummy as he is, is the UC football coach, and if I remember correctly, injuries killed their season last year. They got that Gunner Kiel kid who committed and went to like 8 schools, including Notre Dame, before he ended up at Cincinnati. The basketball team plays in the worst arena I've ever been in, but I think they've committed to upgrading that as well, and last year's UC team played a hideous brand of basketball. In other sports, they had a kid get drafted by the Cubs #5 overall in 2015, which was kind of a big deal (really nice baseball stadium too).

Who knows? I think they deserve it. Really sound athletic program. Not the greatest in terms of academics, but I don't think that much matters to the Big 12. But if the Big 12 wants another Texas team, sure go with Houston. Traditional football power, I understand the appeal of BYU. I get the appeal of getting into Florida, but the idea of UCF or USF getting in makes me wretch a little bit. I also think I have an unhealthy bias against any directional state university.

If it's just 2 teams, it's cincy and Memphis. If it's 4, then the other 2 is anyone's guess.

In most areas, a $30 - $50 HD antenna will get you those. The picture is often superior to what you'll get from the cable company.

Don't know about the rest of country, but you can't even use an HD antenna in some parts of Manhattan.

Why the hell would the Big 12 want another team in Texas that ALREADY challenges their flagships for recruits? Yes, Houston does.

Why the hell would the Big 12 want another team in Texas that ALREADY challenges their flagships for recruits? Yes, Houston does.

They already do, so the issue is already there.

It's not like there are several great choices.

1. Texas has plainy stated they want eastern exposure, one reason for rejecting the PAC 10..12...whatever
2. BYU sounds good but they are an island to themselves. No games on Sundays (hurts any major conference). Western team, see #1.
3. No other team in presumed contention has the history and success that Houston has, in football and hoops.
4. Texas politics can be very strange. Suffice it to say that if the Houston State reps get together. they can refuse to support the DFW, SA, Austin reps get something they want unless they support forcing UT and TBlech while swaying Baylor and TCU into voting for Houston.

I think Houston gets a nod and they expand by four to address new markets. This is an opinion and is subject to change.

It's not like there are several great choices.

1. Texas has plainy stated they want eastern exposure, one reason for rejecting the PAC 10..12...whatever
2. BYU sounds good but they are an island to themselves. No games on Sundays (hurts any major conference). Western team, see #1.
3. No other team in presumed contention has the history and success that Houston has, in football and hoops.
4. Texas politics can be very strange. Suffice it to say that if the Houston State reps get together. they can refuse to support the DFW, SA, Austin reps get something they want unless they support forcing UT and TBlech while swaying Baylor and TCU into voting for Houston.

I think Houston gets a nod and they expand by four to address new markets. This is an opinion and is subject to change.

Unless things change, of course.

Texas to B1G
Ok/OkSt to Pac
XII adds UH, Cinn, Memphis, BYU, and UCF.
P5 becomes P4...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom