Big 12 to expand...or not | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Big 12 to expand...or not

Quick question: I count four private schools; Rice, Baylor, TCU and SMU; who is #5?

Houston is a state school. UT and TAMU voted UH down as they were really good in the late 80's and they both recruited Houston heavily (still do). TexasBlech was a nobody and and a harmless choice. Baylor went along for the ride because the then governor, Ann Richards (I think), was a Baylor grad and did some major politicking to make it happen. Of note: TAMU Wanted to go with Arkansas, UT had to strong arm the state capital to make them stay hitched to UT.
Mis-spoke and left out cougs 80s success good catch I was already long winded.

Mis-spoke and left out cougs 80s success good catch I was already long winded.
It's easy to forget other teams' history. The only reason I recall Houston's history is that I live in the Houston Metro area, so many Cougar fans and they never let me forget their heyday. For the record, they are nowhere close to obnoxious as Dallas Cowboy and Rutgers fans.

The predicted four Big 12 teams will be: 1) Houston 2)Cincinnati 3)BYU 4) Memphis (slight edge over UCONN- Looking at a Big 12 map UCONN would be a major geographic outlier. Plus they don't add much in terms of football.)

The predicted four Big 12 teams will be: 1) Houston 2)Cincinnati 3)BYU 4) Memphis (slight edge over UCONN- Looking at a Big 12 map UCONN would be a major geographic outlier. Plus they don't add much in terms of football.)
Guessing it won't be Memphis, UCF brings a lot more to the table. A bit of an outlier geographically but not so much as UCONN.

Which is what I've been saying since the onset.

Guessing it won't be Memphis, UCF brings a lot more to the table. A bit of an outlier geographically but not so much as UCONN.

UCF can't bring Fedex sponsorship.

UCF can't bring Fedex sponsorship.
We have seen how successful Memphis has been with Fedex support.

This is guaranteed
upload_2016-7-23_7-40-14.png

I would take a Florida directional before BYU. Far more potential and lots more fan interest. BYU is in the middle of nowhere, compare that to Orlando area or Tampa area.

Last edited:
Like I said, Texas saying no to Houston because of recruiting worries is a fan-made problem. Houston will get in.
This has OU fans livid (including me). Just goes to show that Texas and their politics will always rule the conference. The hope is that OU leaves when the GOR expires.

Everything I hear about expansion is if it is two teams it will be Houston and one of BYU/Cincy. If four then take those and add Memphis. If BYU won't accept then replace for UCF. There is 0% that UConn gets in. In fact USF and Colorado St. are higher on the list.

We have seen how successful Memphis has been with Fedex support.

This is guaranteed
View attachment 70848

Sorry, I should have been more clear - Fedex CEO has stated if Memphis gets in they will sponsor the title game regardless of cost. Money talks, alumni base walks.

This has OU fans livid (including me). Just goes to show that Texas and their politics will always rule the conference. The hope is that OU leaves when the GOR expires.

Everything I hear about expansion is if it is two teams it will be Houston and one of BYU/Cincy. If four then take those and add Memphis. If BYU won't accept then replace for UCF. There is 0% that UConn gets in. In fact USF and Colorado St. are higher on the list.

It's politics in general and, actually, for good reason. These are all state schools and the state has a lot to gain from their inclusion. The politicians see it as incoming dollars to offset tax dollars. Can you blame them if they're getting involved? They are fiscal stewards of the public university system, it's kind of their job, I would think.

It's politics in general and, actually, for good reason. These are all state schools and the state has a lot to gain from their inclusion. The politicians see it as incoming dollars to offset tax dollars. Can you blame them if they're getting involved? They are fiscal stewards of the public university system, it's kind of their job, I would think.
Like the Warner strong-arm to get VTech into the ACC in 2003?

The big 8 only took 4 Texas schools when the Southwest conference disbanded, the only reason TCU got enough votes, was to replace a Texas school, Texas A@M. When Missouri left they took a school outside the footprint. Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Kansas, Kansas St, and Iowa St aren't voting in another Texas school. Texas is safe, they can just say the majority members didn't want Houston, and the case is closed.

The big 8 only took 4 Texas schools when the Southwest conference disbanded, the only reason TCU got enough votes, was to replace a Texas school, Texas A@M. When Missouri left they took a school outside the footprint. Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Kansas, Kansas St, and Iowa St aren't voting in another Texas school. Texas is safe, they can just say the majority members didn't want Houston, and the case is closed.

I get your point but Texas could withhold their vote and can lean on TTU (political leverage). Baylor and TCU "owe" UT. Essentially, UT holds 4 votes and only needs 2 or 3 to block expansion. Regardless, the GOR is only good for 9 more years including this season. UT can buy their way out, wait the time and destroy the conference, make life miserable for the others (especially the newbies) or decide to play nice (not likely).

UT and OU are the only two Big 12 schools that can write their own ticket to another conference (Kansas may have a good shot at the Pac or B1G). Texas will do whatever they want and only OU can stand up to them. If taking Houston is the price of cooperation, Houston will be in the conference. The remaining Big 8 schools really have no leverage.

One other point to remember is that UT, TTU, Baylor and TCU are one half of the old SWC, Houston was one of the SWC, too. There is history between them.

Nebraska Rejoining The Big 12 Would Be Absurd

Major college football, however, is a business. The prospect of Nebraska reversing course to the unstable Big 12 is laughable. Big Ten revenues rose 33 percent from 2014 to 2015. That was before the new first-tier TV agreements with ESPN and FOX that will increase the take from $150 million to $430 million. Toss in an additional $10 million per year from CBS for basketball.

That’s $31.4 million per year, not counting the Big Ten Network revenue or postseason revenue distribution, more than the Big 12 deal pays for everything.

Nebraska was the fourth-biggest earning football program in the Big Ten last year, turning a profit of $30 million. This is before Nebraska really starts getting paid, when it begins earning a full-share of the TV rights in 2017. In coming years, the Cornhuskers could be earning roughly what Texas makes adding its $15 million Longhorn Network deal to Big 12 revenue.

The Big Ten is college football’s premier destination. The checks are larger than everyone else’s and they cash. Revenue is distributed equally. No school has any incentive to leave. That’s why Nebraska joined and why it would be silly for them to back out now.

Not a single one of those schools regrets changing conferences.

I think that's accurate. It's more like a list of schools that haven't done so well on the field, but that's not the main driver of these decisions.

Scooch said:

How anyone can out Rutgers on the list of biggest realignment losers is absofreakinglutely ridiculous.

They were starving to death on an island and a cruise ship picked them up and they found a winning megamillions ticket on the ramp as they boarded.

Totally agree. Maybe this guy meant to imply these programs sold their soul by jumping to mediocre oblivion in another conference. That I could believe...

The writer is not big on facts while being dangerously bug on his own ego. But let's not let truth get in the way. Every school that moved up is happy to be there.

TAMU: Wanted out since mid 90's, they were never the year in and year out power team, they aren't now either.
Pitt: Happy to be a decent hoops team in a very top heavy hoops conference. Football is a serious upgrade. What's their complaint? They definitely aren't saying they have a complaint.
Mizzou: Openly begged for a B1G invite, gladly accepted an SEC invite. Haven't heard them complaining. Again, not the annual powerhouse that can no longer bully anyone. They were a middle to decent team, they are a middle to decent team.
Wake Forest: Smallest school in the Div. I, or at least the P5. Regardless, they have never voted against improving football knowing they would be the worse for it on the field yet knowing it was good for the conference. They seem happy cashing those ACC checks and investing in their facilities.
BC: They never complained about being in the ACC. They didn't rule the Big East and they don't rue the ACC, no loss there. Besides, they have several old friends in the conference now. And, I don't believe thy have made UConn or Jersey State their annual OOC rival.

Rutgers: As stated above, Rutgers scored big. After borrowing a half billion dollars for the AD over the years from student fees, general fund and State Treasury, they can finally say they have arrived...ummmm, not so fast, they are still in the red on an annual basis and truthfully, they should be required to pay back every cent with interest to any entity that gave them money to invest in sports. Especially the student fees because they ere forced to support an AD they had no interest in supporting (see attendance, discount B1G opponents buying season tickets to watch their team beat up Rutgers. Still, they have that budding rivalry with Michigan and their longstanding rivalry with PSU.

(Try typing that last line without laughing!)

Apparently, Nebraska, Colorado, Miami, VTech, PSU, FSU, USC (east coast, the real one, not the one in Jersey), Utah, Louisville, Maryland, TCU, WVU and our own Syracuse are quite happy, though, as they must be winners not having been mentioned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom