Big announcement at 1 pm today: Hop to Washington | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Big announcement at 1 pm today: Hop to Washington

My main concern - even if JB is still retiring imminently- is we no longer have a clue what type of system the new guy would bring. Hop was always an unknown but I think everyone unanimously liked the style he was preaching. What if Wildhack wants to continue the slow tempo and zone philosophy?

Dayton isn't exactly lighting it up.
They are a player developmen program.'
Griffin doesn't have an ace on his resume.
Recruiting is all about connections or being energetic. I don't see Griffin with either.
Jason Hart and Tony Bland have been better recruiters than Griffin.
Francis mentioned Herman Harried as being one of the guys we should target.
Harried could recruit.

It's very easy. Identify the AAU program close to us with the best pipeline of talent for the next 4-5 years. Hire the guy that runs it.

Has anyone considered the possibility that Hop was told they were going to go in a different direction after JB? And on top of that, is it really that far fetched to think Wildhack may think that JB should "retire" now? I can see where that gives Hop a chance to get a decent job (he did), and for JB to go out without having to be publicly forced out, and the university doesn't have to endure more years of declining recruiting and poor results and can start fresh. I would be shocked if we aren't actively putting feelers out for the next head coach now.

I should be shocked beyond belief if Wildhack gives Boeheim an extension and lets him keep going for much longer. JB's time is running out and Wildhack wants wholesale changes, imo.

If the Boeheim lobby on the Board stomps its collective feet I could see this dragging out a little. But I too would be surprised if the administration lets him stay past this year. Still wouldn't be shocked to see him hang it up in the next month or so.

I am on the Alumni Club of Seattle facebook page also from back when my son lived there. Media posting on there just now looking for SU alum to talk about how they feel about Coach Hopkins on TV today.

So more years, more money. So we can't even compete with the Washingtons in the world but we'll get somebody good to come here. I'm sure we'll get somebody decent but we're not a selector school and I doubt we get a power 5 established coach.

If this isn't telling where we're at as a program I don't know what does. Let's just brush this under the rug too, along with recruiting and our ACC record.

But hey! 2016 Final Four!!
upload_2017-3-19_13-3-15.png

I posted back in the middle of the season: a guy I know was at the UConn game at the Garden with one of the biggest boosters at SU. The booster said with certainty that Hopkins was no longer the coach-in-waiting and that SU would be getting a big name coach when JB is done. I guess that booster was right.

I distinctly remember that post. Interesting that the decision was apparently made such a long time ago

My main concern - even if JB is still retiring imminently- is we no longer have a clue what type of system the new guy would bring. Hop was always an unknown but I think everyone unanimously liked the style he was preaching. What if Wildhack wants to continue the slow tempo and zone philosophy?
You're nuts if you think the AD cares about our playing style

Is there a link anywhere for this press conference? I am on Facebook and nothing yet.

Lots of ways to read the leaves. Could be JB's going to stay or going to leave now. It may seem clear to you, but JB is an independent sort who may value watching his kids play over coaching. It may not be as fun anymore...

True. If they're sticking with the retirement plan, use this year to identify candidates and be ready to pounce when the season ends. I'm not convinced that Hop leaving necessarily means Boeheim staying but we'll see.

On the topic of new coaches..

Can we get someone like Pitino's style. Heading into halftime and he's talking about wearing out Michigans point guard. "We don't care about turning him over, we just want to wear him out".

Ugh, my kingdom for an aggressive Head Coach at Syracuse.

As an aside, Brissett, Sidibe and Moyer seem like the types of frontcourt players Louisville gets and turns into studs who stay for more than 1 or 2 years.

VP and Assistant GM of the OKC Thunder.

Originally left Cuse to be a scout for the Utah Jazz.
Didn't he find Carmelo for us?

Also, isn't there supposed to be a press conference at 1 p.m.?????

"He wants to build a legacy, felt like the opportunity was special at Washington, and also wanted to make sure he did right by his mentor and father figure, Jim Boeheim," a source close to situation told Goodman.

How does leaving now for the HC at Washington "do right" by his "mentor?" The answer to that question should give us a clue as to the new succession plan.

This is all on JB.

Hop is bringing Gerry with him and Hart is joining him from USC.

Some major disagreements between Hop and JB on the future of the program, including JB basically refusing to speak with any 2018 recruits.
I'm fine with GMac following Hop but your last paragraph...umm WHAT!?

I posted back in the middle of the season: a guy I know was at the UConn game at the Garden with one of the biggest boosters at SU. The booster said with certainty that Hopkins was no longer the coach-in-waiting and that SU would be getting a big name coach when JB is done. I guess that booster was right.

That is not how this went down. Hop was still coach in waiting.

Hop is going to kill it at UW. Theres going to be a lot of upset cuse fans when they realize what we lost. No one is a better fit for Syracuse then hop. We won't be able to hire anyone with half the passion he has for this program. Gunna get stuck paying big money to someone who has zero invested in this program. Truly heartbreaking. Don't see how we recover from this unless boeheim coaches 3-5 more years. People were so quick to judge hop off a 9 game stint. This fan base is truly delusional most of the time and we just ate our own. Disturbing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom