Big announcement at 1 pm today: Hop to Washington | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Big announcement at 1 pm today: Hop to Washington

I think Gerry is in the JB mold, loves it here and wants to be here. This could just be as simple as Hopkins thinking this is the right situation.
Next man up, Red and GMac and get a young dynamic recruiter. Kids know who GMac is when he comes to see them. Red and GMac are the "Bouncers" and JB is the cooler. It is tough to see anybody from the family leave, but I have faith JB will find a suitable replacement. Time will tell.
Most Class of '18 kids were 6 when Gerry last played at SU.

This offseason just got a lot more interesting.

GMac just became a lot more important in the short term. That's terrifying, but OK, let's see some magic.
Is it wrong to sort of hope GMac goes with Hopkins?

9xDUFq.gif

We can get any hot mid-major coach we want. This is still a great job but the longer the JB sticks around, the harder it could get.

Not really.

The Dome, the conference, the school's commitment to hoops, the proximity to recruiting hot spots, the tradition, the fan support - none of that is changing.

We're the definition of a selector school for getting a coach. That's true now and will be 10 years from now.

We can get any hot mid-major coach we want. This is still a great job but the longer the JB sticks around, the harder it could get.

I think we can get most Big East and AAC coaches. We could get some B1G coaches as well. Not sure we would pluck an ACC coach and getting to far into the SEC or Big 12 might be odd culturally.

Everything depends in whether Syracuse is willing to pay.

What history? The job hasn't been open in 40 years!

And we've paid JB on the low end for 40 years based on his success.

When we hire football coaches, we've hired assistants until the Dino hire.

I don't know about blessing, more like insisting.
ok, and why would he insist?
My take, based on what we've seen/heard to this point...
Wildhack decided, or at least started hinting (at some point, probably after the 9-game audition last year) Hop was not going to be the next coach. JB said, "Mike let's find you a new job."
I really don't think this means JB is going to stay on longer than next year. I think Wildhack already started putting feelers out. I think once Wildhack came on board, he and Syvruud developed a new plan.

Given the current events, I would bet (hope) that Wildhack has a (different) succession plan in place. It won't get leaked, this is a tight ship. It's hard to imagine a better connected AD - he is going to have access to lots of information and "expert" opinion on the direction to head.

Hop is the first shoe to fall

There was once a post on this board that would give a lot of support to this logic. And it was straight from the horse's mouth.

Most Class of '18 kids were 6 when Gerry last played at SU.

It's incredibly easy to learn about things that you didn't directly experience, these days.

I think most bball players have respect for past accomplishments of former bball players, at least to an extent. It doesn't mean recruits are lining up to play for Gerry because of his own playing days heroics, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

Here's another scenario. Hop previously told coach in waiting thing no longer operative. Explains diminished recruiting presence. Gets UW job. JB waits a couple of weeks to announce retirement. National search commences.

Only if the program sinks and talent is reduced (it's obviously possible that could happen).

But as far as having a pool of "hot young mid-major coaches" to choose from, that's always going to happen. As long as I can remember there's always been a half dozen coaches each year that become the next hot coach because they took a mid major to the Sweet 16 upsetting some HOF coach along the way. They key is determining if the coach was just a flash in the pan or if he has staying power.

Am I way off, or does 5 more years line up pretty close to what Buddy B's time on the hill would be?

If JB wants 5 more years that's great. Don't know why anybody would complain about that. Recruits will know jimmy will be here also. No more uncertainty and no more potential negative recruiting from other schools. Best thing would be is to announce a 5 year deal with JB .

I used to feel that way, but it has become clear to me over the years that some guys don't really know when to leave.

And, after forty plus years sometimes it is time to leave and to give somebody else a chance.

I gather that JB wants to stay - feels he has more to give - and is trying to get an extension.

I hope his instincts are right but I'm concerned.

UW fans don't seem too happy.

They don't mind that he's a Syracuse guy, in fact that's the only thing saving him, but they seem to hate that he's going to be learning on the job.

Ha, kind of like their previous dud of a coach, apparently. At least Mike's got some experience winning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom