Big announcement at 1 pm today: Hop to Washington | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Big announcement at 1 pm today: Hop to Washington

He's from PA and she's from OK, plus they met in NYC so I don't see the big draw for L.A outside of maybe good weather. Plus she put all the modeling behind her once they got married and settled down. I only tossed Bland and Hart in there to satisfy the crowd that likes keeping it in the family.

I may be just a little biased, but I love his playing style and personality and would love to see his high flying system get the Dome rocking. :)

I personally think Joe Dooley would be a better hire. Jersey guy, and is headed for a big job sooner rather than later. Great defensive minded coach.

I will wait for more details to emerge before commenting on why Hop is leaving at this point, how this impacts JB's retirement timetable, and how much Hop's decision was driven by the University and/or JB.

Holy Chit Balls business is about to pick up.
While this is certainly shocking, it will be interesting to see a new assistant recruiting to prove himself to keep his job. When's the last time we had a staffer in that position?
yeah those Washington wins are gonna feel great

ok, and why would he insist?
My take, based on what we've seen/heard to this point...
Wildhack decided, or at least started hinting (at some point, probably after the 9-game audition last year) Hop was not going to be the next coach. JB said, "Mike let's find you a new job."
I really don't think this means JB is going to stay on longer than next year. I think Wildhack already started putting feelers out. I think once Wildhack came on board, he and Syvruud developed a new plan.
No. I think that Hop did know that he wasn't this A.D.s choice. and that isn't a good feeling to have. And throw in a 6 year deal and lots of $$, it was an easy choice for Hop.

Wildhack decided, or at least started hinting (at some point, probably after the 9-game audition last year) Hop was not going to be the next coach. JB said, "Mike let's find you a new job."
I really don't think this means JB is going to stay on longer than next year. I think Wildhack already started putting feelers out. I think once Wildhack came on board, he and Syvruud developed a new plan.
I get that and hope it's how it went down, but there were rumors here last fall that JAB wasn't happy with the plan and wanted to continue coaching. They were dismissed by others and lo and behold, here we are.

And we've paid JB on the low end for 40 years based on his success.

When we hire football coaches, we've hired assistants until the Dino hire.

We didn't have to pay Boeheim more though.

SU football is not SU basketball...especially by 2004, 2008, 2012, etc.

SU bball job has never been open since it became an elite program in the 1980s.

I had heard Boeheim asked for an extension and Syracuse told him no. They were ready to move on to Hopkins, but Boehiem didn't want to retire. I think Hopkins saw the writing on the wall and decided to move on based on the fact Jim wants to keep coaching.

I was joking with Billy Donovan (kinda) but look at a guy like Brad Underwood. That guy can coach. Do we REALLY think Illinois can land a guy like that but not us?

Am I way off, or does 5 more years line up pretty close to what Buddy B's time on the hill would be?

2017-18 Senior year at JD.

I don't know if Buddy is planning on a prep year in NH like Jimmy Junior did.

Because the uncertainty just got worse. Our best recruiter just left the place he was for 25+ years.

We are officially a disaster. JB's hire to replace him will be huge. Can't just elevate AA and Gmac. We need a proven stud recruiter to help us get through this mess.

Or you can look at it that Wildhack decided that giving the keys to the Ferrari to a guy who had never proven himself on the hot seat wasn't the right move and wants to bring in a proven guy who Wildhack thinks is the best guy for the job...

This now gets really intersting because, if JB is still going to retire after next year, this makes him a lame duck coach and the assistants all lame duck assistants.

Wildhack almost has to force JB out now so he can bring in a new coach immediately.

Nothing will kill recruiting more than players knowing the current coach is gone after next year but having no idea who the new guy is going to be...

I think it has to boil down to JB is staying beyond next year or he goes now...

The fact they were like 10 when GMac did his thing and he doesn't exactly have any type of rep in coaching circles to speak of right now.

So? Sports history matters to many.

I think he loves Nova. But it would be amazing.

Hard to get a guy after 17 years with a program he's reached the mountain top with.
I agree but I think he knows he would be successful here and I think Wright has aspirations that can't be filled at Nova. There's certain things he could do and be part of coaching at Syracuse in the ACC that he can't at Nova.

The ACC is basically the CBB Mecca of Coaching.

I see people mentioning Beilein.. Wouldn't mind that either.

We can get any hot mid-major coach we want. This is still a great job but the longer the JB sticks around, the harder it could get.[/QUOTE

I think Wildhack pulls the plug on him at the end of next season.

I still want Jay Wright. That just seems like such a perfect fit.
Same. Wanted him for years - unfortunately I would think him winning the nationl title last year will probably keep at Nova for the rest of his career unless he decides to make the leap to the NBA

wright won't happen.IMO. if you're targeting an assistant get them in here quick. if you want an established coach then open negotiations immediately. hard to say what our window is yet . has JB formally requested to stay beyond next year ? i don't know. regardless this impending job opening should draw interest from some elite young HC candidates. remember hopkins was pushing 50.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom