Big announcement at 1 pm today: Hop to Washington | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Big announcement at 1 pm today: Hop to Washington

"Washington threw a lot of money at Hopkins. That along with being closer to his parents (his dad isn't doing great) and not feeling like he is forcing JAB out is the reason he accepted the offer", from someone inside the MC. Hope that puts to bed those thinking there were issues between Hop and JAB

You don't believe it's dramatic that our "HC in waiting" behind our current HC who was supposed to retire next year just left to coach another school?

You must have a high tolerance for drama.
I do have high tolerance for drama. I am surprised he didn't leave earlier. "HC in Waiting" gave him leverage in negotiations with other schools. He would have been set up for failure if he stayed here. I am speaking of the weeks/months worth of behind the scenes drama theories and blaming that are certain to appear here, and have already been alluded to.

And I'm telling you that Hop was the next coach at Syracuse. Period. That was set in stone and I believe Syverud confirmed that. Hop was going to leave for USC. That was before Wildhack. The Washington deal was just too good to pass up.
And I'm saying (speculating) Hopkins was ready to jump at any such deal. I still think (speculate) that JB and Hop remain ironclad. Hop loves JB too much and the school too much to jump ship on a whim - the two of them decided sometime in the past year or so that Hop should move on.

Not really.

The Dome, the conference, the school's commitment to hoops, the proximity to recruiting hot spots, the tradition, the fan support - none of that is changing.

We're the definition of a selector school for getting a coach. That's true now and will be 10 years from now.

Im sure the folks at Indiana thought the same thing. Where have they been these days? Decades?

"Washington threw a lot of money at Hopkins. That along with being closer to his parents (his dad isn't doing great) and not feeling like he is forcing JAB out is the reason he's leaving", from someone inside the MC. Hope that puts to bed those thinking there were issues between Hop and JAB
That makes sense based on the earlier quote that he wanted to "do right by JB"

Here's a name post JB. John Beilein.

I love Beilein, but he's already 64 (if Wikipedia is correct). If he ever was hired to come home and replace Boeheim, you'd have to think it would only be because no suitable long-term replacements were available at the time.

The best we can hope is this: Hop asked Wildhack what he could expect for contract terms - and he was told 3 years max. Not feeling warm and fuzzy suddenly other offers look a lot more appealing.

At least I hope it's only that and has nothing to do with JB trying to manipulate the situation. Any JB extension would just look horrible from all angles.

What about Syverud has made you think that he doesn't take athletics and basketball seriously?

I've been told by a member of the athletics inner circle that he hates athletics and doesn't understand their function or importance to Syracuse.

Wildhack's hire was vitally important due to Syverud's lack of interest in athletics.

Last edited:
Here's another scenario. Hop previously told coach in waiting thing no longer operative. Explains diminished recruiting presence. Gets UW job. JB waits a couple of weeks to announce retirement. National search commences.
JB's son starts at Cornell in the fall and JB might like to watch his games. I'm not as convinced as most that JB wants to return for more. Retiring on his terms could include retiring with no significant notice. Maybe in two weeks as you suggest?

Wrong. There are 350 D-1 schools playing basketball in the United States. This is top 10-20 job. Which makes it top 5%-8% of all available jobs for the reasons I outlined.

So we don't have to search? We'll just get resumes in the mail and pick the best one?

I love Beilein, but he's already 64 (if Wikipedia is correct). If he ever was hired to come home and replace Boeheim, you'd have to think it would only be because no suitable long-term replacements were available at the time.

Why would Beilein be interested anyway? One can argue that UM is on the same plane as SU from a hoops standpoint, and, having much more coin to boot as the state's flagship institution and B1G affiliation.

I'd take young Beilein or young Pitino.
What about Young Thug?

IMG_8808.JPG

This seems the way UDub rolls; hire top assistant coach from name program, make sure he's a good recruiter, and roll with it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom