Big Ten exploring using the Dome for winter football | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Big Ten exploring using the Dome for winter football

Status
Not open for further replies.
We should just play in the winter with the Big 10 then. I mean we wouldn't have to leave our campus then. It all makes no sense if you start to peel the onion.

The school isn't going to work their schedule around football games and introduce other schools to campus to play football because said schools didn't want to play football in the fall because of health concerns.

This is dumber than Ohio St to the ACC.

Lol. If the B1G is desperate enough and offer enough money, all things are possible.

No fans, bare bones skeleton crew, TV. Logistically, it’s the fans that make game day stuff extra difficult.

It also depends on how many games and what days.

Lol. If the B1G is desperate enough and offer enough money, all things are possible.

No fans, bare bones skeleton crew, TV. Logistically, it’s the fans that make game day stuff extra difficult.

It also depends on how many games and what days.

It's a university, not an event rental business.

Sure, host the occasional concert or monster truck show. But to allow the school to host other schools during a pandemic strikes me as something they won't do. The money won't be enough to make them do this is my guess.

I've been wrong before but this doesn't sound like a prudent thing.

Hoops is likely going to be played in bubbles somewhere, likely not Syracuse. The Dome is going to be more available than most think.

The university would be crazy to say no from a financial perspective...but will the community want outsiders coming to Syracuse...that’s the bigger question.

Hoops is likely going to be played in bubbles somewhere, likely not Syracuse. The Dome is going to be more available than most think.

The university would be crazy to say no from a financial perspective...but will the community want outsiders coming to Syracuse...that’s the bigger question.
Yep - the chance for spreading would be enormous.

If it's fan-less, they fly in, play, and leave, it's no different that we are going to hopefully do.

There is a risk calculus that will be done here and while the money may be nice I am willing to bet SU won't like the profile. SU isn't Orlando. They can't create areas of bubbles on campus. If the campus post holidays ended up in a covid resurgence or if the Big contingent introduced a covid resurgence that would be bad. Again probably good money but not sure the money is worth the risk profile. Imagine the optics if Syracuse took the money and then an outbreak occurred. Yeesh...that could be tough.

It's a university, not an event rental business.

Sure, host the occasional concert or monster truck show. But to allow the school to host other schools during a pandemic strikes me as something they won't do. The money won't be enough to make them do this is my guess.

I've been wrong before but this doesn't sound like a prudent thing.

The new roof was sold to the community in part as a way of hosting more events. I think you're dead wrong on their willingness to rent it out. The risk of the virus spreading is prob the chief concern. The money will be there, as the B1G makes a mint on football TV money.

The Dome has been used for NCAA tournament purposes for years.

The risk of virus spread is a concern. Although, on the flip side it is likely that any football teams and staff who travel to places like Syracuse will be taking reasonable measures to prevent being infected by the environment they travel to. Plus, there should be no fans traveling to see the games so that cuts the risk considerably. And it also looks like the B1G is looking for multiple dome settings in various cities so that they can spread the games out limiting the number of teams and people visiting any city/site at any time while also creating better options to televise as many games as possible.

I don't see a big difference between using the dome to host a football game featuring Syracuse and some random opponent from some other region, and using the dome to host a football game featuring two teams from other regions.

They are surely going to sanitize the locker rooms for the teams and officials regardless. Press room too if they allow the media to attend.

No way there are going to be fans. I am sure all B1G staff and players would be tested regularly. I would have more confidence in them doing things right than Liberty, or even a school like NC State.

Last edited:
There won’t be a lot of fans allowed for basketball and lax. So let’s rent the dome out and help cover the funding gap caused by Covid. And maybe some good upgrades for the program.

We’ve got Manley. Open for business
Do we? Is Manley usable for any real competition any more?

We should just play in the winter with the Big 10 then. I mean we wouldn't have to leave our campus then. It all makes no sense if you start to peel the onion

That would not be a bad idea. Nothing is out of the question when the chance to make money for the schools involved. Syracuse playing home games in the spring would be a good seller but will Penn St fans travel that far in bad weather to see spring football.

That would not be a bad idea. Nothing is out of the question when the chance to make money for the schools involved. Syracuse playing home games in the spring would be a good seller but will Penn St fans travel that far in bad weather to see spring football.
Four hours or so? I mean, the area between State College and Syracuse is gorgeous during those five hours of daylight in February. The weather is also... invigorating #signemup

Status
Not open for further replies.