Bilas watches live Orange game with Boeheim in advance of coach’s return | Syracusefan.com

Bilas watches live Orange game with Boeheim in advance of coach’s return

How would you describe watching the game live with Boeheim?
I’ve known Coach Boeheim for over thirty years, and it was unusual but very compelling to sit with a current coach and watch his team play without him. Jim knows his team so well, but has been forced to watch his players like any fan, and it is no fun for him. He accepts the situation, though he clearly disagrees with it, and he was anxious to get to the end of the nine-game period. That’s clear.

Was Boeheim engaging with you during the game – almost like a film room segment – or more focused on the action?
It differed from moment to moment. At times, we talked about big picture things, and at other times, we talked about specific points about the game. Jim sees every detail with each individual player, and you could see the coach in him. He was analytical at times, frustrated and emotional at others. Overall, I think he’s disappointed that he couldn’t communicate at all with his team and staff, and he couldn’t help them the way he would have liked.

Oh so that's what he was doing in town. Was on the Jet bridge waiting for my wheel chair people when he came off the american Charlotte flight last Friday evening around 6 o clock.

To have been a fly on the wall in that room...

Put in on Pay-per-view for charity!!!

The media isn't showing up for me.

Is that the Miami game? I feel bad for both of them.

Think JB could have popped for a bit better TV.
He usually watches on this one, but was trying to impress Jay that day.
il_570xN.270036273.jpg

I bet that's the Crown Plaza or whatever it's called (the round hotel by 81).

That's really interesting. I bet Jay is one of the only people JB would do that with. Bud Poliquin need not apply.

Bud wouldn't have been able to find the hotel or turn the TV on for starters. He also would have been stealing towels and calling room service to ask if they had King Edward in a can and laughing so hard at his wiz bang humor he'd make himself faint.

Bud wouldn't have been able to find the hotel or turn the TV on for starters. He also would have been stealing towels and calling room service to ask if they had King Edward in a can and laughing so hard at his wiz bang humor he'd make himself faint.
For god sakes - it's Prince Edward. And BTW - is your refrigerator light on?

You know what, I'm happy to have some positive pub for a change. We're emerging from a rough patch .. and I'm not going to quibble about where JB and JB watched the game. Anything good about SU is a fresh drink of water after watching so many programs and ads featuring Dook and Kentucky.

Very cool. Do you think there will be a feature on this on some type of ESPN broadcast in the future? Perhaps College Gameday or something? If anybody hears of this please let the board members know, thanks.

I love this story! I want to know more. What's the background? I bet Jay approached JB. He feels Coach has gotten a rotten deal. Surely more information will come from this very unique happening!?

When we moved from Durham to Syracuse in 1984, we spent one night in that hotel after a tough 12 hour drive with our two cats and 18 mo. old son. The cats crawled under the mattress pads in one of the beds and wouldn't come out. That's what I wanted to do, too! I was devastated leaving Durham. But I have a wonderful life here and one of its highlights is Syracuse basketball. People ask me if I don't want to return to some place warmer to live out the rest of my days, and I always say, "NEVER. I have season tickets."

Does anyone know if this is going to be available to watch.

Supposed to be a segment(s) on Sportscenter but I am not sure what night...I am guessing Saturday leading up to the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom