Bills 2024 Thread - Misery loves company | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Bills 2024 Thread - Misery loves company

so the nfl with 30+ teams has a 255 mill cap. equating this to college where we have 100 teams or so and vastly less TV money the cap would be like 5 million? spread out over 100 kids. 50K. so they go from 75K free to 50K taxable.. good deal.

so the nfl with 30+ teams has a 255 mill cap. equating this to college where we have 100 teams or so and vastly less TV money the cap would be like 5 million? spread out over 100 kids. 50K. so they go from 75K free to 50K taxable.. good deal.
I think “vastly less TV money” is doing a lot of heavy lifting with this math

The ONLY strike against Allen was the turnovers. Led the league in total yards, led the league in total touchdowns (by a fairly wide margin), set an NFL record for rushing touchdowns by a QB and led his team (which wouldn't even sniff the playoffs without him) to the two seed in the AFC. Maybe the turnovers prevented him from winning the MVP, but fifth? GTFOH.
The fact that they finished with the 2 seed means the turnovers didn’t significantly negatively affect the season. So then you turn to the positive side of things where he was excellent . The media bs push where he had that string of games with at least 1 pick ended his chances . Mind you the jets game he threw one pick . And it was a Hail Mary .. nobody accounted for that during his “streak”.

Ints and fumbles are pretty blunt tools to evaluate a QB with. Is it the QBs fault if there’s a jail break on his blind side and he gets strip sacked ? We are trying to evaluate a player here.

The fact that they finished with the 2 seed means the turnovers didn’t significantly negatively affect the season. So then you turn to the positive side of things where he was excellent . The media bs push where he had that string of games with at least 1 pick ended his chances . Mind you the jets game he threw one pick . And it was a Hail Mary .. nobody accounted for that during his “streak”.

Ints and fumbles are pretty blunt tools to evaluate a QB with. Is it the QBs fault if there’s a jail break on his blind side and he gets strip sacked ? We are trying to evaluate a player here.
Turnovers are all that matter but only in the Regular season.
Also, the Regular Season doesn't matter.
That's their argument with a straight face.

Xavier Worthy: I’m so sorry chugg21 you were so right. Don’t think there’s a pick late enough for me to feel good selecting him.
Then the dude comes out and sets the combine record in the 40. Hopefully he's gone by 28 now because of that and pushes someone else down.

Then the dude comes out and sets the combine record in the 40. Hopefully he's gone by 28 now because of that and pushes someone else down.
I do think I was a little too harsh with that post, but I ended up with a late 4th round grade on him so needless to say, he'll be gone before I'm comfortable taking him.

Thomas
Mitchell
McConkey
In that order. Would be happy with any of them.

Great OL depth guy at multiple positions. Probably a good move for Bates. Bills were very fortunate last season as far as health of the OL Bates was a 2024 cap hit of $5.4M - a tad more than the salary for a 5th rounder. Lots of later round pics. Let's see what Beane does.
Feels like a pretty safe bet we'll be trading up in the draft. There's just no chance we select 11 players.

Feels like a pretty safe bet we'll be trading up in the draft. There's just no chance we select 11 players.
Agree. Maybe a small jump up once there are only a couple speedster WRs with size left.

If they can't work anything out, draft BPA at 28. If that was still a WR, then bundle some picks to move up for the top safety in the next round.

I don't think they have the ammo to get up to early in round 1 unless they include players and future top picks.

In related news, I have now scouted over 20 of the WRs in this year's class. Going into the Combine, the guys that I had first round grades on were the main 3 as well as Brian Thomas, Keon Coleman, and Troy Franklin. I think the Combine likely pushed Thomas out of our reach. Meanwhile, Franklin had a very poor performance that has me a little less confident in spending a 1st round pick on him. Coleman had a pretty good Combine overall but his 40 time was slow enough to add another red flag to a pretty long list of red flags, so I'm not as confident about him either. I think push comes to shove, I'd still be willing to take those guys at 28, but I think there's a pretty strong case to be made at this point that we could take a different position at 28 or trade down and take someone else in the early-mid 2nd round; might even still get Coleman or Franklin in that range if we luck out. I would say I roughly see the class as follows (of the guys I've scouted so far):

Tier 1: Harrison, Nabers, Odunze
Tier 2: Brian Thomas
Tier 3: Coleman, Franklin, Jacob Cowing, Ladd McConkey
Tier 4: Ricky Pearsall, Ja'Lynn Polk, Adonai Mitchell, Brenden Rice, Roman Wilson
Tier 5: Malachi Corley, Xavier Legette

It's an insanely deep WR class, but I think we may have found ourselves in the no man's land where all of the 1st round caliber guys will be off the board by the time we pick and if you wait until pick 60, you might be left with like 1 or 2 guys from the first 4 tiers.

In related news, I have now scouted over 20 of the WRs in this year's class. Going into the Combine, the guys that I had first round grades on were the main 3 as well as Brian Thomas, Keon Coleman, and Troy Franklin. I think the Combine likely pushed Thomas out of our reach. Meanwhile, Franklin had a very poor performance that has me a little less confident in spending a 1st round pick on him. Coleman had a pretty good Combine overall but his 40 time was slow enough to add another red flag to a pretty long list of red flags, so I'm not as confident about him either. I think push comes to shove, I'd still be willing to take those guys at 28, but I think there's a pretty strong case to be made at this point that we could take a different position at 28 or trade down and take someone else in the early-mid 2nd round; might even still get Coleman or Franklin in that range if we luck out. I would say I roughly see the class as follows (of the guys I've scouted so far):

Tier 1: Harrison, Nabers, Odunze
Tier 2: Brian Thomas
Tier 3: Coleman, Franklin, Jacob Cowing, Ladd McConkey
Tier 4: Ricky Pearsall, Ja'Lynn Polk, Adonai Mitchell, Brenden Rice, Roman Wilson
Tier 5: Malachi Corley, Xavier Legette

It's an insanely deep WR class, but I think we may have found ourselves in the no man's land where all of the 1st round caliber guys will be off the board by the time we pick and if you wait until pick 60, you might be left with like 1 or 2 guys from the first 4 tiers.
I would move Mitchell to the top of Tier 3. Wonder if Beane might jump if a premium DL was available at 28 and then trade some of those extra later round picks to move up high in the 2nd round to get a WR.

Great OL depth guy at multiple positions. Probably a good move for Bates. Bills were very fortunate last season as far as health of the OL Bates was a 2024 cap hit of $5.4M - a tad more than the salary for a 5th rounder. Lots of later round pics. Let's see what Beane does.
I don't get Beane sometimes. Aren't you thrilled if you pick a player like that in Rd 5? The $ savings is peanuts compared to anchor deals like Knox. Like you said it's very unlikely we're as healthy up front next year. Not a fan of this deal at all.

I don't get Beane sometimes. Aren't you thrilled if you pick a player like that in Rd 5? The $ savings is peanuts compared to anchor deals like Knox. Like you said it's very unlikely we're as healthy up front next year. Not a fan of this deal at all.
Apparently they really like Alec Anderson as far as playing multiple positions on the OL.

They need to chop as much off the cap as possible without doing restructures that cause the same pain next year. Bates was being paid like a starter because of the offer sheet and wasn't going to be one. Easy call to deal him, clear the space and add a small asset.

It saves North of 5 mill off next years cap, that's why he moved him. Only about a million this year but that 5 million figure next year is a nice boost.

Apparently they really like Alec Anderson as far as playing multiple positions on the OL.

Yeah, he's gone from PS guy to active roster and he never got put on waivers last year so they like him enough as a depth guy.

Don't like losing Bates experience but they got solid value for him and saved a little cap, if they can get a replacement they'll be fine

Wowser

Ya unfortunately I figured this was coming. Poyer has been great but its a big cap savings and the guy has started to breakdown physically. Not a huge fan of moving on from both he and Hyde in the same season though. Really hope we bring one of them back.

In 2024, Poyer will earn a base salary of $4,740,000, a workout bonus of $250,000 and a incentive bonus of $250,000, while carrying a cap hit of $7,720,000 and a dead cap value of $2,000,000.
Ya unfortunately I figured this was coming. Poyer has been great but its a big cap savings and the guy has started to breakdown physically. Not a huge fan of moving on from both he and Hyde in the same season though. Really hope we bring one of them back.