Bills 2024 Thread - Misery loves company | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Bills 2024 Thread - Misery loves company

Still wrapping my head around everything. The Von one is the one I'm still trying to figure out most. Seems like he agreed to move around $8m in guaranteed money into incentives. No clue why he would do that other than feeling like he owes the team something because of the lack of any production whatsoever last year.

I'd say the best thing about all of these moves is that we now are in business in 2025 to do what has to be done on Knox, Diggs and Von without fear of dead cap amounts. Knox is going to basically take a 50% pay cut or get released I imagine. If Diggs wants to get moved, it is now feasible. And Von is certainly gone with a $15m dead cap hit which was always going to occur.

Still wrapping my head around everything. The Von one is the one I'm still trying to figure out most. Seems like he agreed to move around $8m in guaranteed money into incentives. No clue why he would do that other than feeling like he owes the team something because of the lack of any production whatsoever last year.

I'd say the best thing about all of these moves is that we now are in business in 2025 to do what has to be done on Knox, Diggs and Von without fear of dead cap amounts. Knox is going to basically take a 50% pay cut or get released I imagine. If Diggs wants to get moved, it is now feasible. And Von is certainly gone with a $15m dead cap hit which was always going to occur.

I'd guess Von agreed to the move because he knows he'd get basically nothing at all on the open market. That being said, I would have been surprised if we cut him this year anyway due to all the dead money. Coming into it, I assumed that both he and Knox - like you said - would be on the chopping block after next season.

Fully expect Knox to restructure and take less next year as you noted. Really sets Buffalo up well for cap purposes moving forward.

spotrac has his contract changes as:
  • 2024 renegotiation lowered base salary from $17.145M to $1.5M
  • 2024 Roster Bonus: $7M (may be converted to signing bonus, TBD)
  • 2024 Sack Incentives (non-cumulative)
    2: $1M
    4: $2.5M
    6: $4M
    8: $6M
    10.5: $8.645M
    15: $9.645M
  • $1.5M for an AFC Championship Win + 30%+ snaps + 12 regular season snaps

So, I would assume they convert his roster bonus to a signing bonus to further reduce his cap hit this year if needed. He earns back the guaranteed portion of his money with a 10.5 sack season and the additional incentives for a 15 sack year and and the last incentive are new money incentives. Since he did so little in 2023, all his incentives will be considered "not likely to be earned" and thus any he reaches will be counted against the 2025 cap.

spotrac has his contract changes as:
  • 2024 renegotiation lowered base salary from $17.145M to $1.5M
  • 2024 Roster Bonus: $7M (may be converted to signing bonus, TBD)
  • 2024 Sack Incentives (non-cumulative)
    2: $1M
    4: $2.5M
    6: $4M
    8: $6M
    10.5: $8.645M
    15: $9.645M
  • $1.5M for an AFC Championship Win + 30%+ snaps + 12 regular season snaps

So, I would assume they convert his roster bonus to a signing bonus to further reduce his cap hit this year if needed. He earns back the guaranteed portion of his money with a 10.5 sack season and the additional incentives for a 15 sack year and and the last incentive are new money incentives. Since he did so little in 2023, all his incentives will be considered "not likely to be earned" and thus any he reaches will be counted against the 2025 cap.
We can only win with that deal.

We can only win with that deal.
Yeah, it gives the team a lot of flexibility this year and he has a realistic path to earning his money back. I'm a bit surprised he didn't get to earn new money with a little easier incentive than 15 sacks, though. He did the team a solid.

Quick updates

Morse to Jax as their new center, not a huge surprise as he seemed unlikely to comeback on a new deal

Knox - Restructured his deal, looks like he took less ala Miller.

Cam Lewis back to Buffalo 2 year sfor 4 mill

Wilkins to the Raiders, big loss for the Dolphins

Gabe Davis to Jax

Epenesa is a tough call but I think resigning for 2 years makes a lot of sense. With Von's issues, Rousseau and his inconsistency and Floyd off to the Niners you can't just decimate the DE position. Brining him back at hopefully a reasonable number makes a lot of sense. Will likely need another DE via FA or one in the draft at some point.

General question- what does restructuring really entail? I am sure there are levels to it, but outside of "good for the team" what is the incentive for the player? JeremyCuse any info for me?

General question- what does restructuring really entail? I am sure there are levels to it, but outside of "good for the team" what is the incentive for the player? JeremyCuse any info for me?

Usually the player in question is in danger of being cut and agrees to restructure to stay with his current team in exchange for a certain amount of money now guaranteed and the updated contract usually makes being cut totally untenable. Guys coming off a few injury plagued seasons are usually prime restructure candidates.

What's odd in Miller and Knoxs case was that they had almost all the leverage in that Buffalo would have had to take severe dead cap hits had they been let go making cutting either highly unlikely though not impossible. Both likely saw the issue Buffalo was in cap wise and agreed to restructure to help the team and ensure they weren't a psot June 1 cap casualty even if that was unlikely.