BJ finally makes some shots | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

BJ finally makes some shots

Really excited for this kid. He's going to fill out a little next year and get more minutes hopefully. Loosen up that leash and he will get in rhythm. He also has a good handle but is just hesitant to use it.

He broke some ankles tonight! Well, he broke one dude's ankles. Actually, he may have tripped over his own feet.

Who cares - BJ hit four threes!

besides the shots he knocked down...
he played really good defense tonight, as GoHam just pointed out - much better than Roberson was playing tonight
Yes indeed ... the message is sinking in. He wasn't perfect, but MUCH better tonight on D. Notice he had 2 blocks and I think at least one, if not both, was from closing out high on a shooter.

Amazing how good we look with some balance ... + 11 on the glass, and + 8 on bench points. Go figure.

Last edited:
Whether you like BJ's game or not, you have to give him this - he has the brass and the confidence to keep shooting. So glad to see him have some success.

I was thinking earlier this week that my wish for him was to give the team one game with a significant contribution. Well he did. Now lets hope for a 2nd, like this weekend.
Would love to see us turn the tables and have one of our bench guys go off for a career game for a change!

Nah. Johnson played because BC was not guarding Roberson. Roberson hesitated when left wide open, and pulled the string on the shots he did take. JB put a shooter on the floor. BC didn't guard Johnson either, but he made them pay.
Correct, and that's been the case for a while. But until tonight, BJ just hasn't been able to get his shot going. It was great to see him get into a rhythm, and, while not quite as effective on the glass as Tyler, his 12 points provided some much-needed balance. Frankly, neither player belongs at PF .. but that's another discussion for next season.

Before tonight, with TR struggling and BJ not being able to help, we were playing 4 on 5 on offense. This made it easier for teams to face-guard Trevor and double Rak (although tonight that strategy left the lane wide open for KJ). At any rate, TR is very talented ... and he'll bounce back, although right now his shot confidence is lower than a snake in a dry river bed. I think 90% of his problems are between the ears.

Last edited:
Does not show in the stat sheet, but he made a couple of killer passes to someone who then scored. He had a solid overall game tonight.

Yes indeed ... the message is sinking in. He wasn't perfect, but MUCH better tonight on D. Notice he had 2 blocks and I think at least one, if not both, were closing out high on shooters.

Amazing how good we look with some balance ... + 11 on the glass, and + 8 on bench points. Go figure.
I think he met someone at the rim with one of those rejections.

I have always had faith in BJ. The kid is still young, and young players need confidence. All he needs to do is learn to play lock down D and he will live on the court. More court time equals more scoring opportunities. He's gonna be a good one. Late bloomer.

Stats alone (without a name attached to them) would suggest an OK game, 4 for 13 including 4 for 12 from 3. But this is BJ and having hit 4 (even with the misses and a couple air balls), that's definitely a great jump start to build upon. And most of his misses were close (I know this isn't horse shoes). Now, I know his game is hitting the 3 so that's the place for him to start rejuvenating his shots and confidence, but I hope he just doesn't settle for 3s all the time. Needs to develop other facets on the offense end (which he can do and will), for instance the Bobby Knight pump fake from 3, then drive to the bucket for the finish. Stuff like that. But overall, glad for him, and glad that JB gave him the PT and leeway to not yank him quickly. Played decent D too.

jdubs30 said:
His shot actually looks really smooth when it goes in

Most do when they are made ;)

He played well on both ends, probably forced a couple and would have been cool to see a pump fake then drive, but was very happy for him to start to get that money off his back a bit.

Let's follow it up with four more on Saturday.

Damn... been waiting for him to get hot all season long. Nice boost when we get SOME bench scoring...

I think if you score from the bench, you ought to get 4 points. That's a difficult shot. Harder than that halftime thing from the easy chair.

Oh...
6a00d8341bf80c53ef015390e305b6970b-320wi.jpg

Come on. Be fair. Considering how he was shooting coming into the game, 4 for 12 is a great game for him. It might signify he is turning the corner of nerves. Its just nerves with him.

BJ's a good developing player. You crazy kids have gotten used to the upperclassmen versions of Dirty, KJo, CJ Fair etc. We've been spoiled with atleast one wonderful developed forward per year.

Bj is good, give it time.

BJ's a good developing player. You crazy kids have gotten used to the upperclassmen versions of Dirty, KJo, CJ Fair etc. We've been spoiled with atleast one wonderful developed forward per year.

Bj is good, give it time.
Does G qualify this year?

Does G qualify this year?

To this point, there's still a gap between G and the three players mentioned, in my opinion at least.

Torn on BJ, part of me wants someone to leave for Bryant and I would rather Buss but BJ is also a candidate, but part of me sees this game and thinks he could be Demetrious Nichols Part 2. Junior year jump and be a big part of next years squad.

Like most players in JB's system, they'll learn and figure it out. BJ will be fine, he's got a lot of talent and is starting to feel more confident out there. Most importantly, however, his defense was quite a bit better against BC - he needs to keep his responsibilities on the defensive end in check and the more intuitive it becomes the easier his offense will become.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom