BJ | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

BJ

If BJ becomes 6'9" I'm certainly okay with him playing as a 2 or a 3. Pretty much Southerland with ball handling skills? That's the one thing Dirty lacked along with the ability to drive from becoming a big time player

Edit: OGBJ, great to have you on the board giving us insight on things the average person doesn't get to hear about!

What I'd like to see in BJ that Southerland lacked was the tenacity and energy to not take one play off.

We need a spark plug. Someone who can bring energy to every part of the game. Bj and Bus seem like candidates.

We are excited for him and the college experience that is ahead of him. This is truly one of the greatest experiences in one life to have been a student/athlete at SU in BJ's case. Let's GO SUballRANGE!!!

Congrats OGBJ, you must be one proud father. Looking forward to BJ owning Pitt, Duke, UNC and NC St during his time here.

Most of all, thank you for posting all of BJ's updates on here for everyone to read. Especially with some of the behind-the-scenes convos with the coaches that you have. Alot of board junkies' mouths to feed on here!

I see BJ a more as a Wes then a southerland. Able to pull up off one to two bounces, using more dribbles then Wes typical 1-2 over time, and a longer sidestep pullup(right) then wes. And that pic above sure remind of wes' verticle.

Now if BJ will have Wes jumpshot or a solid pullup thats a different story going to have to speed up that release. So much potential. Our coaches find needles in the haystack.

I see BJ a more as a Wes then a southerland. Able to pull up off one to two bounces, using more dribbles then Wes typical 1-2 over time, and a longer sidestep pullup(right) then wes. And that pic above sure remind of wes' verticle.

Now if BJ will have Wes jumpshot or a solid pullup thats a different story going to have to speed up that release. So much potential. Our coaches find needles in the haystack.
At this point, the coaches are very impressed and pleased with BJ's skill set as a 2-3 on the court and his work ethics in the weight room/training. He continues to work on his game everyday. Your going to be impressed as well when you see him in in the near future.

Thanks for the reply, but I didn't mean to make my post so much about me ( I'm hardly the elephant man, anyway). I just meant that I sometimes question the "project player" approach by SU. I get that some years are lean; recruiting-wise. But who benefits most from the extensive 4 year program of developing the awkward/disproportionate recruits anyway? Surely the player does, but not so much for the program and the fans, it seems. Even when it works, they soon graduate.

And I never said BJ is going to be one - by a long shot. I just feel it's weirdly unrealistic to think an extra inch will make BJ suddenly suitable for another position on the court at this point.

And I will say that I hope we don't see a sycophantic cult develop around BJ and his father here where people are not allowed to express a negative but accurate observation now and then. Some will be fair, and some will not, but it's coming. I wonder how Trevor Cooney's Dad feels now. Or that of Mookie Jones. The Johnson family may be about to experience a couple of decades of wonderful things. One of the prices they'll have to pay is life under the microscope, though. This website (all of us) will continue to be heavily pro-BJ Johnson compared to what the rest of the nation will throw at him.
As a former collegiate BB player for a team (LaSalle) during the resurgence of Hoops there from 86-90 thus being in the spotlight from day one in Philly, has allowed to me to school BJ in the aspects of being under the scope of the fans/non-fans/media in this business. It comes with the territory and the only one thing that he has control over is how he prepares/plays the game and handles the outside aspects.

We already had 2 people who could play all 3 frontcourt positions plus play pt forward, In the original DC, and his buddy Billy Owens, so why can't BJ do the same?

We already had 2 people who could play all 3 frontcourt positions plus play pt forward, In the original DC, and his buddy Billy Owens, so why can't BJ do the same?
Dale Shackleford played 4 different positions during his time on The Hill: center, SF, PF and SG.

He was a pretty versatile player. Still remember the huge picture of him on the front page of the Post-Standard when he announced he would attend Syracuse. Good times.

Shackleford_original_display_image.jpg

Aces sweep "Best of Main Line" awards

LMHS In The News

Posted: July 10, 2013

Main Line Today recently released their “Best of the Main Line & Western Suburbs” awards as voted on by their readers, selecting their picks for best dining, shopping and more. There were three “Best Of” categories applicable to local high schools – athlete, coach and sports team – and the Lower Merion High School varsity boys’ basketball team won all three in a clean sweep.
“Best High School Sports Team” went to the Aces following another banner year in which the team completed their second consecutive undefeated run through the Central League before capturing the program’s seventh state title by toppling the mighty Chester Clippers in one of the biggest upsets in the history of the PIAA. Syracuse-bound B.J. Johnson, two-time Central League MVP and 1st Team Team All-State honoree, claimed “Best Athlete” honors while “Best Coach” went to a maroon and white mainstay, head coach Gregg Downer
bj and1 dunk.jpg

LMHS In The News

Main Line Today recently released their “Best of the Main Line & Western Suburbs” awards as voted on by their readers, selecting their picks for best dining, shopping and more. There were three “Best Of” categories applicable to local high schools – athlete, coach and sports team – and the Lower Merion High School varsity boys’ basketball team won all three in a clean sweep.
“Best High School Sports Team” went to the Aces following another banner year in which the team completed their second consecutive undefeated run through the Central League before capturing the program’s seventh state title by toppling the mighty Chester Clippers in one of the biggest upsets in the history of the PIAA. Syracuse-bound B.J. Johnson, two-time Central League MVP and 1st Team Team All-State honoree, claimed “Best Athlete” honors while “Best Coach” went to a maroon and white mainstay, head coach Gregg Downer
View attachment 4222
Picture says everything, especially from the cheerleaders.
Cheerleader towards the back: "Noooooooooooo!" like some of our "fans" on the board. :rolleyes:
Cheerleader in the middle: "Will he? Will he? God's speed BJ, but will he?"
Cheerleader on the right: "I believe in BJ. HE WILL!"
Defender: "Fudge."
BJ: "Get used to it, buddy."

Picture says everything, especially from the cheerleaders.
Cheerleader towards the back: "Noooooooooooo!" like some of our "fans" on the board. :rolleyes:
Cheerleader in the middle: "Will he? Will he? God's speed BJ, but will he?"
Cheerleader on the right: "I believe in BJ. HE WILL!"
Defender: "Fudge."
BJ: "Get used to it, buddy."
That was really the first time that the ol man looked at the fans in the background as I was posting it. Classic, but you had to be there to see "THE DUNK" I nearly lost my mind. :crazy:

That was really the first time that the ol man looked at the fans in the background as I was posting it. Classic, but you had to be there to see "THE DUNK" I nearly lost my mind. :crazy:
Man, he's going to shine and you will see so many great expressions like this from the fans in the coming years.
I see a lot of happy times ahead.
Bobby, best of luck this season to you, BJ and the rest of the family.

Really excited for BJ and the entire team. Speaking of which, it's good that I have some family to stay with in Dallas.
Cause I will be there come early April. ;)

Man, he's going to shine and you will see so many great expressions like this from the fans in the coming years.
I see a lot of happy times ahead.
Bobby, best of luck this season to you, BJ and the rest of the family.

Really excited for BJ and the entire team. Speaking of which, it's good that I have some family to stay with in Dallas.
Cause I will be there come early April. ;)
I think that the team this year is going to be very good and the mixture of young and old will benefit them in the long run of the season.

LMHS In The News

View attachment 4222

What's impressive as well is that number 5 looks like a big strong kid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom