Bo Ryan can't win the big one | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Bo Ryan can't win the big one

Lots would be forgiven. The Patterson thing is bad. However, I'm not aware of JB actively making it difficult for Buss to find a new landing place or limiting his options to go elsewhere.

This is classic in-group out-group stuff for me. JB is in-group = I can accept a lot. Bo Ryan is out-group = 100% tool.

at the end of the day, Uthoff ended up back home, where he wanted, in an extremely rare in-conference transfer.

RP has been treated like an unwanted used car by two elite programs, discarded when no longer useful. I understand that it had to be done from a program perspective, but it is still disgraceful.

"it's all in the game, yo." Ethically, there's not a dime's worth of difference between any coach at any D1 program.

This is classic in-group out-group stuff for me. JB is in-group = I can accept a lot. Bo Ryan is out-group = 100% tool.
I've never been one to have that kind of thought process. An act is an act or a personality is a personality regardless of my relationship to a person. I don't give someone a free pass just because I know them more. I suppose it's why I'm closer to some of my friends than I am with some of my family.

I've never been one to have that kind of thought process. An act is an act or a personality is a personality regardless of my relationship to a person. I don't give someone a free pass just because I know them more. I suppose it's why I'm closer to some of my friends than I am with some of my family.
I try to reserve that type of in-group vs out-group thinking for the sports world.:noidea:

Bo Ryan was a first class dink in this clip. The kid eventually ended up at Iowa and is a good player.

I remember that.

Is he really the only one that has done this type of thing?

We refused to let Jason Hart renege on his commitment back in '96...
Other coaches put restrictions on, and I don't think that's unfair in some cases, but to be as excessive about it, and then on top of it to try to pretend that he's powerless to some mysterious holy process all coaches understand and that he couldn't violate, even when the decision was entirely in his hands, in contrast to Coach K, who for sure has his own stuff, but didn't prevent Gbinije from coming here even though we were slated to be a conference rival... well, like I said, I think you can measure a person in some regards by how they handle decisions that affect people they have power over, and you can really measure them by how they respond when their ridiculousness is pointed out.

After some thought, I like that he called out the officiating. I don't think that's why they lost the game and his team benefitted from the huge miss on the obvious shot clock violation against Kentucky, so I don't feel too bad about it. Also saw syracuse get hosed two years in a row against B1G teams in the tournament, so again, not shedding any tears for Wisconsin.

Regardless, it isn't the refs fault that Kaminsky came up small in crunch time. It isn't the refs fault that Wisconsin screwed up the end game by fouling too late. It isn't the refs fault that Okafor, who had done nothing all game, was able to abuse Kaminsky at the end because he was rested and Frank was exhausted. And it isn't the refs fault that Duke's 8th man abused Ryan's all Americans in the 2nd half.

But Ryan can f*** himself with the rent a player comment. People say the same s*** about us with Carmelo so screw him. I kind of liked this Wisconsin team, but Ryan's whining and the fact that the #WhitePower hashtag has somehow become associated with Wisconsin basketball (which isn't their fault necessarily) makes me so glad that they lost and it's particularly satisfying that Ryan shat the bed as a coach in the last 5 minutes.
Biggest factor of Wiscy's loss, IMO. If Kaminsky has half-a-decent game, they win going away.

He doesn't have to. He can choose to go to the NBA out of high school if he wants. I don't think the NHL/MLB model can ever work until the D-League becomes bigger though, because a lot of the guys that would go from high school would probably be better off in the D-League for a year or two. But the one and done rule hurts the quality of play in college basketball IMO. Anyways, that's just one issue. There's others that college basketball actually has control over and should fix IMO, like shortening the shot clock.
If it weren't for one and dones this probably would have been a pretty boring tournament, with little to no interest outside of true college basketball fans

I remember that.

Is he really the only one that has done this type of thing?

We refused to let Jason Hart renege on his commitment back in '96...
I don't know how common it is. I remember listening to JB on the radio when it happened. Said Bo was a good friend but he thought Bo was wrong to do it. That you should do what you can to help the player.

Thread title is such a meaningless hot take that I'm surprised Frank Isola hasn't stolen it for his next daily news column. Nobody can "win the big one" until of course they actually do.

It took coach K a number of tries as I recall and people are hailing him as being above wooden on coaching hierarchy

Other coaches put restrictions on, and I don't think that's unfair in some cases, but to be as excessive about it, and then on top of it to try to pretend that he's powerless to some mysterious holy process all coaches understand and that he couldn't violate, even when the decision was entirely in his hands, in contrast to Coach K, who for sure has his own stuff, but didn't prevent Gbinije from coming here even though we were slated to be a conference rival... well, like I said, I think you can measure a person in some regards by how they handle decisions that affect people they have power over, and you can really measure them by how they respond when their ridiculousness is pointed out.

Ok...Thx for explanation.

I remember thinking at the time it was a pretty d**chy thing to do...

It took coach K a number of tries as I recall and people are hailing him as being above wooden on coaching hierarchy
I think it took Wooden 15 years to win his first. He did ok after that though.

And how does that square with the handling of Hart, except for the fact that youtube had yet to be invented?

And how does that square with the handling of Hart, except for the fact that youtube had yet to be invented?
First off, they aren't equivalent scenarios. Secondly, I already addressed this - JB is my guy, so he gets leeway, Bo Ryan is not my guy, so he's a butthead.

This is all so much simpler than people want to pretend it is.

First off, they aren't equivalent scenarios. Secondly, I already addressed this - JB is my guy, so he gets leeway, Bo Ryan is not my guy, so he's a butthead.

This is all so much simpler than people want to pretend it is.
a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds - emerson

oig is many things, but he is not a small mind

He is. Wooden was the best of his time. K is the greatest of all time.

If it weren't for one and dones this probably would have been a pretty boring tournament, with little to no interest outside of true college basketball fans

Hard to say because I think college basketball would be very different if guys were staying for 3+ years. In my opinion, it allows fans to get more attached to the players, and allows the players to gel and play better basketball. They'd probably lose some casual fans that only want to see the Wiggins' and stuff, but March Madness is such a phenomenon that I'm not sure it would make all that much of a difference.

Hard to say because I think college basketball would be very different if guys were staying for 3+ years. In my opinion, it allows fans to get more attached to the players, and allows the players to gel and play better basketball. They'd probably lose some casual fans that only want to see the Wiggins' and stuff, but March Madness is such a phenomenon that I'm not sure it would make all that much of a difference.

You may see even better ball games throughout the tourney with really good teams made up of 2nd flight talent or just not quite ready for NBA out of highschool talent. The better programs would have teams made up of 4th, 3rd, 2nd year players of these type that knew the system and had developed their games. The offense would certainly be better IMO because you wouldn't see so many teams playing guys that really can't score or can only do 1 thing on offense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom