Bob Chesney | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Bob Chesney

He hasn't been anywhere.
The oversell of Chesney is weird.
This should be a national search for qualified candidates, not the 'best of the Patriot league'.
If he's what's left at the end, fine.
No guarantee he's the next coach Mac bc he won at Boston Catholic or wherever.
Read the room. Listen to Wildhack. There's excitement because he's an energetic young coach who has a track record of building winning programs. While the Patriot League isn't the SEC, it's a league made up of similarly skilled athletes - generally smaller and less athletic than D1 players - and his teams have dominated in a league of their peers. That demonstrates coaching acumen - something SU desperately needs.

Chesney checks all the boxes except for "has P5 coaching experience." So there is a risk in hiring a coach from a lower level. But if you're going to take that risk, imho, Chesney is an excellent candidate to take a chance on.

Last edited:
Side note - how the hell is New Mexico St 9-3? lol.
The wildest part? UMass was clearly the better team week zero when they beat them in Los Cruces. Kill is a wizard for how this season turned out. Pavia isn't very good.

Read the room. Listen to Wildhack. There's excitement because he's an energetic young coach who has a track record of building winning programs. While the Patriot League isn't the SEC, it's a league made up of similarly skilled athletes - generally smaller and less athletic than D1 players - and his teams have dominated in a league of their peers. That demonstrates coaching acumen - something SU desperately needs.

Chesney checks all the boxes except for "has P5 coaching experience." So there is a risk in hiring a coach from a lower level. But if you're going to take that risk, imho, Chesney is an excellent candidate to take a chance on.
Only if he brings the QB too

Well, I must say this is more than I ever wanted to know about this guy!

But, I must say he is worth serious consideration and if hired, I could easily support him.

We all know the risks but he's a winner and they don't grow on trees.
Don't know if possible but maybe he keeps a couple of coaches, which might be good.

Last edited:
Heard from a friend that as of today, Chesney has not mentioned anything to the staff about leaving. Take that for what it’s worth.
I am not surprised. Media reports show 10 potential candidates. He may not even get an interview even with our excitement about him.

He’s the real outside the box candidate. If you were him it’s business as usual until it isn’t. Wildhack won’t have to worry about Bob getting an equal raise where he is and staying. The only worry is someone else jumps into coaching search. If that happens then maybe bobs lawyer/agent tells him to play it cool if Syracuse isn’t his first choice of likely openings

If he is JWs guy and wildhack is interviewing others to confirm it, that makes sense. I wouldn’t be surprised if JW uses Thanksgiving as a way to get him to campus in a down low way (or even someone else). Good time to show things with zero wondering eyes around….

I bet this is finalized by Monday next week

I am not surprised. Media reports show 10 potential candidates. He may not even get an interview even with our excitement about him.

He’s the real outside the box candidate. If you were him it’s business as usual until it isn’t. Wildhack won’t have to worry about Bob getting an equal raise where he is and staying. The only worry is someone else jumps into coaching search. If that happens then maybe bobs lawyer/agent tells him to play it cool if Syracuse isn’t his first choice of likely openings

If he is JWs guy and wildhack is interviewing others to confirm it, that makes sense. I wouldn’t be surprised if JW uses Thanksgiving as a way to get him to campus in a down low way (or even someone else). Good time to show things with zero wondering eyes around….

I bet this is finalized by Monday next week
So skip the family time and stalk the football complex Thursday

Who is your ideal candidate
Its Wildhack's call so my opinion does not matter, and I haven't finished wiki searching all the coaches in that Athletic article, but after a cursory review of that list and other published lists, I like:
  1. Bronco Mendenhall
  2. Sean Lewis
  3. Some kind of tie between Chesney, Cignetti, & Candle
  4. Jeff Stoutland
  5. Tony White
  6. Doug Marrone or Al Golden
I haven't looked at Longo, O'Brien, Fuller, Coen, and Anarumo.

If we do hire Chesney I would hope he can find a Don Zimmer type guy to help him navigate P4 life.

Would Coach P come back as AHC/DL? I am sure his name still resonates in the Northeast for recruiting. And he can help guide Chesney.

Edsall as AHC/DB? Addazio as AHC/OL? Or any other guy with ACC experience.

1A. B.C.
1B. Mullen

Ive already decided im fully on the Bobby Train, perhaps the Bobby Blimp?

I can’t be talked off.

An Orange program with a regional identity to take back NY and change the course.

• 'read the room' just means to agree with everyone else.
  • 'his teams have dominated'. They have consistently dominated a league composed of LaFayette, Colgate, Georgetown, Fordham, Lehigh, & Bucknell. They were 5-1 in conference this year. For perspective, Colgate, who we beat by 65, was 4-2.
  • Its an oversell. I do agree there is something good there. I like how his kids played against BC.
  • Its a massive leap of faith to think he can recruit the type of kids that can win an ACC divisional championship. But, with any coach, there will be some risks. I agree he is a risk worth taking, if he is the lone remaining best option, after a thorough national search.
  • You fire Babers 'early' so you have time to review your options. You review them and pick the best one. If its Chesney, so be it.

The wildest part? UMass was clearly the better team week zero when they beat them in Los Cruces. Kill is a wizard for how this season turned out. Pavia isn't very good.
The QB got hurt at Auburn then the backup got hurt. Pavia is a street fighter, tough as nails like Dungey. His team totally respects him.

He hasn't been anywhere.
This should be a national search for qualified candidates, not the 'best of the Patriot league'.
We are Syracuse - every candidate we get is going to have warts or question marks. This is why Wildhack is paid the big bucks. He needs to get this right and it won't be easy because nobody comes with a guarantee.

It’s not an oversell. The people in the business of coaching think this is a no brainer. That rando fans don’t know what kind of coach he is because he coaches in a lesser league is not the demerit you think it is

Its Wildhack's call so my opinion does not matter, and I haven't finished wiki searching all the coaches in that Athletic article, but after a cursory review of that list and other published lists, I like:
  1. Bronco Mendenhall
  2. Sean Lewis
  3. Some kind of tie between Chesney, Cignetti, & Candle
  4. Jeff Stoutland
  5. Tony White
  6. Doug Marrone or Al Golden
I haven't looked at Longo, O'Brien, Fuller, Coen, and Anarumo.
So is Sean Lewis' stellar 24-31 record at Kent State and resignation after his 5th year somehow worth more than a guy who has turned around a moribund FCS program (pretty much one step down from the MAC)? There's not much difference between recruiting at a high level in FCS and recruiting at a high level in the MAC.

I'm not sure Chesney is the answer, but I also don't think Sean Lewis is the answer. He had one winning season at Kent State, and I know Kent State isn't a great MAC program. Holy Cross wasn't a great Patriot League program before Chesney got there.

Guessing that Chesney has existing relationships with Nunzio and the Campanile brothers from recruiting the Jersey parochial schools. Could be really good for NJ recruiting.
This is a very important question. Does he have these connections and can he recruit? He has no proven experience anywhere near to this level that I can see, and recruiting is an extremely tough but critical business in order for us to be successful as a program. Maybe he'd be great, I dont know, but we can't ignore that this a significant question/issue with him as a HC. Northeast ties are great and all,, but if you can't beat out peer schools for NE kids it doesn't matter. If i were the AD I would need him to convince me how this would be proven/solved

I've watched this video a couple times now, and have started wondering how many current players would actually portal out if he's our guy. Gotta think kids would absolutely love playing for him. He'll, I'm 54, and I'm ready to suit up for him. I'd be highlighted on one those over the top emotional segments on GameDay about some rando old guy living out his dream of playing division 1 football.

So is Sean Lewis' stellar 24-31 record at Kent State and resignation after his 5th year somehow worth more than a guy who has turned around a moribund FCS program (pretty much one step down from the MAC)? There's not much difference between recruiting at a high level in FCS and recruiting at a high level in the MAC.

I'm not sure Chesney is the answer, but I also don't think Sean Lewis is the answer. He had one winning season at Kent State, and I know Kent State isn't a great MAC program. Holy Cross wasn't a great Patriot League program before Chesney got there.
Will P4 athletes buy in?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom