Bob Chesney | Page 43 | Syracusefan.com

Bob Chesney

I think Chesney is a fine up and coming coach but I would not have been happy with these hires at SU

No way these guys move the dial with recruiting and overhaul the talent level coming from HC. A better version of what we had with some underrated recruits from the Northeast was the best we could hope for. Instant flight risk as if we went 8-4 or better he’s pegged the next Brian or Chip Kelly and gone.

Chesney seems like a great coach and a very likeable person. I'll be paying extra attention to him at JMU and seeing what he does with vastly greater resources than he had at HC. If Fran kills it here and moves on to a factory, we may not have heard the last of Chesney being in the mix for the SUHC.

Chesney seems like a great coach and a very likeable person. I'll be paying extra attention to him at JMU and seeing what he does with vastly greater resources than he had at HC. If Fran kills it here and moves on to a factory, we may not have heard the last of Chesney being in the mix for the SUHC.
I don’t disagree but I also don’t put much stock into inheriting an 11 win team in a bad conference and not screwing it up. Anyone could have taken the Liberty job this year and won 10 games. Same thing with Cincy in the AAC. HC lost a few games and took a step backwards he’s lucky he was able to jump ship vs risking a bad season there next year.

True. But the $$$$ for assistant coaches is a lot more here.
Or we might have just paid more for the same guys.

I think Chesney would have been a good coach who could scheme his way to 6 to 7 wins most years.

I am pretty sure these coaches have been with him a long time and are pretty darn good. Very experienced.
I understand that. That doesn’t mean I wouldn’t have wanted him to look outside the box and possibly bring in a candidate with P5 experience. We felt good about Dino’s staff too.

Many coaches out talent their schemes?

Its teams that lack scheme and talent that really have issues

JMU is a great situation for any coach: 1) the recruiting base is very fertile 2) they have a beautiful campus and the popularity of the school is huge 3) They have great facilities 4) The school has already made the an investment in football. Having said all of that, Chesney, I expect, will do very well there.

No way these guys move the dial with recruiting and overhaul the talent level coming from HC. A better version of what we had with some underrated recruits from the Northeast was the best we could hope for. Instant flight risk as if we went 8-4 or better he’s pegged the next Brian or Chip Kelly and gone.

I don’t disagree but I also don’t put much stock into inheriting an 11 win team in a bad conference and not screwing it up. Anyone could have taken the Liberty job this year and won 10 games. Same thing with Cincy in the AAC. HC lost a few games and took a step backwards he’s lucky he was able to jump ship vs risking a bad season there next year.
Timing is everything.

That post may have been an accident.. or was it?

If Benny enters the transfer portal, I’ll have a pretty good idea of where he’s going.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom