Bob Chesney | Page 32 | Syracusefan.com

Bob Chesney

Chesney was my preference before the Mullen stuff came out. I think with Mullen people would fall in love with him once they heard him on the mic and got excited.

I get why people woud take a wait and see with him, however.

I personally don't doubt his ability to coach and motivate. I have reservations about his ability to recruit. I'm slowly coming around on that though as I dig in. His roster is much more diverse than I would've guessed, and it's kids from known high schools.

I personally don't doubt his ability to coach and motivate. I have reservation about his ability to recruit. I'm slowly coming around on that though as I dig in. His roster is much more diverse than I would've guessed, and it's kids from known high schools.

To be clear, I just fixed a typo in the post you quoted. I obviously meant Chesney, not Mullen. I believe you are referencing Chesney in your reply.

I'm good with Chesney assuming he can get in and recruit (or surround himself with people that can).

I have no doubt in his Xs and Os. His ability to run a program, etc.

I was all for him before the Mullen rumors, so I'm still good with him.

Not really dying for us to hire Chesney... 7-4 and being in the Patriot League does not really move the needle for me. Be patient and interview multiple candidates.

Personally, I am a fan of Coen: Shown to succeed offensively at a lower program in a major conference (Levis played awful when he left), Coached under Sean McVay for a few years and I think hiring an offensive-centric coach being in a Dome six times a year is important. With that said, he needs to present a case of being able to hire a staff with an emphasis on recruiting experience. I believe the program alone will be able to recruit itself to a certain level of decent talent (Like what Dino did) but it will never be taken to a high-level due to the lack of resources Syracuse has in comparison to other ACC schools. Wildhack needs to focus on hiring a very good football coach especially after the last 8 years of dealing with Dino's poor game management and vanilla scheme offensively.

yeah, at Florida, just like everyone else who ever coaches there
McElwain, Muschamp went 7-1 one year there, Zook twice
No at Miss State … had a few years at 4-4. Can’t get to 8 wins or more without a .500 conf record as they played 8 conf and 4 non-conf games.

2010 4-4
2012 4-4
2014 6-2
2015 4-4
2017 4-4

That’s in the SEC West with LSU, Bama, Ole Miss, etc.

This isn’t a valid comparison .. do I need to show you Dino in the ACC now or what?

Would it be fair to say that Chesney and current Holy Cross staff have the same contacts with high school coaches that a P5 staff would have, but they get 1-2 stars from those high schools instead of 3-5 stars?

No at Miss State … had a few years at 4-4. Can’t get to 8 wins or more without a .500 conf record as they played 8 conf and 4 non-conf games.

2010 4-4
2012 4-4
2014 6-2
2015 4-4
2017 4-4

That’s in the SEC West with LSU, Bama, Ole Miss, etc.

This isn’t a valid comparison .. do I need to show you Dino in the ACC now or what?
i though you had said winning seasons, i see now that your post says .500 seasons

no argument. mullen knows what he's doing and has a higher floor than babers.

but the hysteria over this guy seems goofy to me and i suspect it's because people are such navel gazers that being a grad assistant here a hundred years ago is important

I am somewhat perplexed about the infatuation with Bob Chesney and being the "leading candidate". From what I have read, he has worked his way up as a quality coach and familiar with the NE. Has coached at private academic schools - a very good plus for Syracuse.

Doubts: coaching in very small conferences and no Power 5 (4) experience - even as a paid staff assistant. Should this be his first chance as a head coach at Syracuse? I am concerned that he would be way over his head competing with the likes of Clemson, FSU, Carolina etc. That's a lot different than Lehigh, Lafayette and Bucknell. Seems like a tall task with no experience. Too much, too soon. Equally important, he will be dealing with the NIL now. Totally different experience than Holy Cross. Wouldn't be my choice as a top candidate. Power 5 experience with everything else Wildhack has on his list should be the top priority.

Last edited:
I am somewhat curious about the infatuation with Bob Chesney and being the "leading candidate". From what I have read, he has worked his way up as a quality coach and familiar with the NE. Has coached at private academic schools - a very good plus for Syracuse.

Doubts: coaching in very small conferences and no Power 5 (4) experience - even as a paid staff assistant. Should this be his first chance as a coach at Syracuse? I am concerned that he would be way over his head competing with the likes of Clemson, FSU, Carolina etc. Too much, too soon. Equally important, he will be dealing with the NIL now. Totally different experience than Holy Cross. Wouldn't be my choice as a top candidate. Power 5 experience with everything else Wildhack has on his list should be the priority.
Would love him as Assoc. Head Coach, special teams coordinator to say Fran Brown. Give him a financial offer he can't refuse. With that role on a P4 it sets him up as a hot property for future P4 HC opportunities.

I am somewhat perplexed about the infatuation with Bob Chesney and being the "leading candidate". From what I have read, he has worked his way up as a quality coach and familiar with the NE. Has coached at private academic schools - a very good plus for Syracuse.

Doubts: coaching in very small conferences and no Power 5 (4) experience - even as a paid staff assistant. Should this be his first chance as a head coach at Syracuse? I am concerned that he would be way over his head competing with the likes of Clemson, FSU, Carolina etc. Too much, too soon. Equally important, he will be dealing with the NIL now. Totally different experience than Holy Cross. Wouldn't be my choice as a top candidate. Power 5 experience with everything else Wildhack has on his list should be the priority.
if you have power 5 experience and are open to this job, you probably got fired somewhere else.

Maybe a guy like Mullen gets fired because Florida wants spurrier/meyer level. Ok, someone not being spurrier/meyer can still be more than good enough for us.

guys with good power 5 experience that are available to us tend to be old and not great.

Would love him as Assoc. Head Coach, special teams coordinator to say Fran Brown. Give him a financial offer he can't refuse. With that role on a P4 it sets him up as a hot property for future P4 HC opportunities.
If your Chesney why would you take an assistant head coach role at Syracuse? Why wouldn’t you go somewhere bigger where you are less likely to flame out and be fired?

Heard Orrgon State, Indiana, and Houston all made massive offers for the Holy Cross guy.

He may even have an NFL offer on the table
Nonsense just clickbait crap. If you know anything about Houston Chesney is the last guy they would hire from the candidates out there.

COACHES THAT WIN GAMES WITHOUT OVERWHELMING TALENT AND RESOURCES WILL WIN GAMES ANYPLACE THEY GO

Don't overthink it. It's not a complex thing.

Hire Chesney. Have competitive NIL. Win a chit ton of games.

How about it took Devito until his 6th year in college to settle down and play within himself.
So what? My point is he always has the talent and Dino didn't get it out of him for all those years.

So what? My point is he always has the talent and Dino didn't get it out of him for all those years.
Make Nunzio the head coach, he has been temporary HC a couple of times.
A good recruiter, and knows a lot of people. He could probably put together a good staff.

Not really dying for us to hire Chesney... 7-4 and being in the Patriot League does not really move the needle for me. Be patient and interview multiple candidates.

Personally, I am a fan of Coen: Shown to succeed offensively at a lower program in a major conference (Levis played awful when he left), Coached under Sean McVay for a few years and I think hiring an offensive-centric coach being in a Dome six times a year is important. With that said, he needs to present a case of being able to hire a staff with an emphasis on recruiting experience. I believe the program alone will be able to recruit itself to a certain level of decent talent (Like what Dino did) but it will never be taken to a high-level due to the lack of resources Syracuse has in comparison to other ACC schools. Wildhack needs to focus on hiring a very good football coach especially after the last 8 years of dealing with Dino's poor game management and vanilla scheme offensively.
I like Coen also and would not be disappointed if he is the guy. However, Chesney is my number 1.

No, he had the arm strength, but not the ability to play the position well.

Here's my Pollyanna take on Mr. C and why this might be a boffo hire:

He's going to work twice as hard as anyone else to prove himself at this level. Most all the other coaches in play know the coaching game and have had a taste of success and Big $$ at the P4 level. Maybe they'll be a tad complacent and in the "check collecting" mode, whereas inspirational, aspirational Mr. Chesney might adrenalize the Orange Nation with fevered application and meticulous strategizing.
How could this not be his dream job (there, I said it)?

I'll go back to finishing Norman Vincent Peale's The Power of Positive Thinking.

My goodness, the kid is winning in the NFL - he can play the position.
Sure, but we aren’t talking now, we are talking his time at SU. It took him a while to get where he is today. Credit to him for doing it.

Sure, but we aren’t talking now, we are talking his time at SU. It took him a while to get where he is today. Credit to him for doing it.
I was saying the kid had the raw talent - that is indisputable at this point. Dino got nothing out of him and Bret Bielma did. He got good enough at Illinois to be an NFL UFA. We will never know what he would have been under a different coach with a different system. What was so different at Illinois than SU?

My gut is that Chesney ultimately will be the hire. Certainly a gamble but checks a lot of the boxes Wildhack is looking for. It's to bad we couldn't combine Chesney and Brown into one HC, would be a perfect fit.

So you would put a proven head coach who has won at every level he has coached at and have him underneath a guy who has never been a head coach at any level and the risk hire here is Chesney? Just making sure I understand how a career position coach puts his staff together.

My gut is that Chesney ultimately will be the hire. Certainly a gamble but checks a lot of the boxes Wildhack is looking for. It's to bad we couldn't combine Chesney and Brown into one HC, would be a perfect fit.

Would prefer him over others as he has at least been the guy and has run through various situations as the guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RSmith

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom